Dogomania

Question about heat and spaying?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,thanks for answering my previous post on this subject.Could you give more info on the heat cycle and any help with dealing with it.Also could you give me any info on the spaying process like cost,how its done,are they there long,will it change her at all? Thanks

Usually a dog is in oestrus (heat/season) for 2-3 weeks. Bleeding may only last for 10-14 days but your bitch will still be fertile so its important to keep her on a lead at all times. Spaying can then usually be done 2-3 months after she has finished her heat. Its a risk to do it earlier due to the chance of haemorrhaging. As for the cost that varies and the cost will depend on the individual surgery where you take her. Good luck :wink:

Cost varies but around here you can get it done for as little as $50 depending on weight of the dog (bigger dog - more aenesthetic - more money) I have heard of places charging over $200 though. Check to see if your local animal control or humane society have a reputable spay/neuter program - they are usually fairly inexpensive or are standerd for your area but the revenue, if any, goes to the shelter.
There is a small incision with a few stitches, usually the dog is up and around within hours, and feeling right as rain in a couple days max. Some spayed dogs may be less aggressive or territorial but there is no hard and fast rule. Some people have claimed that a spayed dog will pick up weight easier, I myself have not experienced this but if it appeared to be happening this could easily be remedied by slightly reducing the amount of food your dog gets or a little bit of extra excercise (healthier for you and your pet anyway.)