Dogomania

Training

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please Help. I have an 8 week old lab puppy, he's great but he doesn't seem to understand going to the bathroom outside AT ALL. I take him out everytime he wakes up, after he eats, and any time he looks as though he might go. On average about 12 to 15 times a day. And he'll go most of the time I take him out. But 5 minutes after we come in he goes agian. So I take him out for longer and longer periods of time but he still goes in the house. Is this common? Do you think he just doesn't get that he should go when we're outside. For the last week I give him a little treat when he goes outside, but he'll still go when I take him back in. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First off, he's an 8 week old puppy. You are bound to have accidents and plenty of them

Second, if you haven't done so, take him to the vet to make sure that there isn't something medical going on, like a urinary tract infection or anything else.

Now, when he goes potty in the house, does he do it right in front of you? Or does he go off and hide when you're not watching him? If he's hiding or out of your sight, CHANGE IT! Work with umbillical training. Tie the dog to you with a 6 - 10 foot leash. He will never be out of your sight then. If this is something you don't want to do, then you need to crate him when you cannot watch him EVERY MINUTE.

Set him up to do right.....not to fail. Dogs learn much better by positive reinforcement. Praising for good things, not punishing for bad things. The more you punish a dog, the more he will hide from you and not want to do anything for you, he'll just shut down.

The more you set him up to do something correct, the more he will go out of his way to please you.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, and I have been using the positive method of training. And he doesn't hide when he goes potty in the house, that's the crazy thing he does it right infront of us. That's why I think he just doesn't understand. Thanks again for your help!!! :D

For further info you can try the House Training sticky in the Training section.
[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=10960[/url]
I think Matty or someone also posted some decent links in that thread as well. Good luck, puppies are a challenge but so worth it. We will of course need pictures. :D

• 1 year later...