Dogomania

K9 Science part II

Sine the other one kinda turned into a debate somehow... :-? uh heres part two without the arguement over prejudice against people/dogs thing...

Ok so I wrote my report and I need opinions on if its correct and what I can do to make it better... please? Thanks!

[quote]
[b]The American Staffordshire Terrier[/b]

The American Staffordshire terrier, also known as the Pit Bull, the Staffordshire terrier, the Am Staff, the AST, and other various names. The Am Staff is a strong and muscular dog, yet agile and graceful. This breed is well-known for its courage and loyalty to its owner and friendliness towards people in general. Its history is graphic, to say the least, and even today the breed seems to be enduring the discrimination of people against its fighting ancestors. Because of its unappealing past, the American Pit Bull terrier was put under the alias of the Staffordshire terrier, which later took the name American Staffordshire terrier. People have been debating over whether or not these two breeds are one in the same for many, many years. Still, the AST is a versatile breed capable of doing many activities and is always people-loving, or otherwise considered unsound.

The American Staffordshire terrier

I'm no English major, but I caught a few things you might change, and added some comments/changes about the content too, all my stuff is in red. After going through, I guess I had a lot to say, so use what you like out of it, but feel free to disregard anything you think is out of place. One thing I corrected once or twice, but not in all is that "Terrier" in a lot of the breed names isn't capitalized, like American Staffordshire [b]T[/b]errier.

[b]The American Staffordshire Terrier[/b]

The American Staffordshire terrier [color=red]is[/color] also known as the Pit Bull, the Staffordshire [color=red]T[/color]errier, the Am Staff, the AST, and other various names [color=red][Was a fragment sentence][/color]. The Am Staff is a strong and muscular dog, yet [color=red]it is also[/color] agile and graceful. This breed is well-known for its courage and loyalty to its owner and friendliness towards people in general. Its history is graphic, to say the least, and even today the breed seems to be enduring the discrimination of people against its fighting ancestors. [color=red]Because of the association between it's name and past[/color], the American Pit Bull Terrier [color=red]breed[/color] was [color=red]accepted by the American Kennel Club under the alias of[/color] Staffordshire Terrier, which later took the name American Staffordshire Terrier. People have been debating over whether or not these two breeds are one in the same for many, many years. Still, the AST is a versatile breed capable of doing many activities and [color=red]an AmStaff with sound temperament is always people-loving. [/color]

The American Staffordshire terrier

[quote]Despite its dog-aggressive nature, the American Staffordshire terrier is in no way human aggressive and is utterly loyal to its owner. [/quote]
This is very misleading. ANY dog can become human aggressive if brought up incorrectly. I work with dogs daily in 3 different working environments the worst attacks to humans I have seen have been from APBT's, American Staffordshire terriers and Rottweilers. We had a local women who purchased an American Staffordshire terrier from sound lines, from a reputable breeder who breeds for temperament...the lady was almost killed by her American Staffordshire terrier due to redirected aggression...but, unlike most breeds the dogs enhanced drives escalated the attack. If the lady hadn't been able to get away at one point and lock herself in the bathroom she would have been killed. The dog was still in attack mode when the police showed up. This was a sweet loving AST which was brought up by this single mother with children. The reason she purchased this breed was due to the fact they are "in no way human aggressive".
Any dog can be human aggressive, any dog can attack. Depending on the enhanced drives and predatory sequence will weigh what the end result of the attack will be.
This just turns my stomach when I hear such statements coming from so called dog professionals. I own Newfoundland dogs and I deal with more Newf's than any other breed...in my experience I have never met a human aggressive Newf and they are bred to be non human aggressive...but, I would never put myself out on a limb and state that they are in no way human aggressive. That is basically saying that (if I had children) that my children would never lie or steal...good sound breeding can only go so far. The rest is completely up to how the dog is raised from puppyhood up. Any spoiled dog can be a dangerous dog, and a dog with a high predatory drive which "seems" like the sweetest dog can be dangerous in the least expected circumstances.

[quote]It must be said that dogs bred to fight were bred specifically not to bite a human so that its handler could pull a dog out of fighting without the risk for injury[/quote]
Makes me wonder why they require breaking sticks :-? this is really bogus...I have broken up hundreds of dog fights in my 30 plus years...I have never been attacked by any of these dogs...does this mean they were specifically bred to not bite a human due to redirected aggression or is it just the individual dog. I have broken up Corgi's, Shepherds you name it. The only breeds we ever had a problem breaking up were Rottweilers, APBT's, AST's and some other dominant or high predatory breeds with enhanced motor patterns. The vet I work for rescued an APBT from a fighting ring...her husband is a police officer for the Canine unit and they have ALWAYS had a multi dog household...she never required a breaking stick until she got her APBT...when it got into a dog fight (by mistake,long story) it was so focused on the other dog it took a lot to break the dog out of the fight...its very strange that one person was injured by the APBT...because they are not supposed to attack a human during a fight :roll:
The thing that gets me are people from the breed club or breed fanciers will defend their breed by stating the dog was not properly bred...or it was not from sound lines. I think this is a flimsy argument, a dog is a dog and the temperament of the breed depends on the predatory drives, motor patterns and enhanced drives...some dogs can be great during a dog fight...but, also remember that a true fighting dog which is used for dog fighting is conditioned from a puppy to be used for fighting and the pup/dog gets used to a human interfering. Its not breeding is nurture. If I took an APBT and did not condition it to fighting and being broken up during a fight then the first fight it gets into...the dog will be just like any other dog (except most other breeds are typically not breed to have such enhanced drives to fight).
So, for a person to say a dog was "breed" to be non-human aggressive or bred not to redirect aggression during a fight is very misleading. You have to "condition" or "nurture" a dog to be what you want when it grows up. It

Guest Mutts4Me

:lol: I'm not going to re-edit something that's already been edited (and I think gooeydog did a lovely job!), but I'll just make a couple comments...

[quote name='gooeydog']that "Terrier" in a lot of the breed names isn't capitalized, like American Staffordshire [b]T[/b]errier. [/quote]

It depends on the style. Newspapers (AP) don't capitalize breed names at all, unless there's a proper noun, so in the paper you'd get "American pit bull terrier," "American Staffordshire terrier," or "English bulldog." However, since it's a research paper, you could probably get away with capitalizing everything, just for the sake of clarity to your reader.

[quote] Its history is graphic, to say the least, and even today the breed seems to be enduring the discrimination of people against its fighting ancestors. [color=red]Because of the association between it's name and past[/color] [/color] [/quote]

No apostrophe in "its" there ;)

[quote]Bulldogs then looked a lot like typical pit bulls today. Only, bulldogs were crossbreeds bred for a certain purpose, whereas pits don

Thanks Gooeydog & Mutts, Ill get to work on adjusting it again and post it to see if I got it right this time...

Cassie - I got this information from several sites, not my mind or just one resource. I even got yelled at on Dogo for saying what you said to me about "any dog can be aggressive and any dog can bite".... I believe it was by Heartagold or maybe odnarb (but Im not positive!) Anyway, Im not sure what I believe on that matter, Im just getting this from websites.

And I disagree with you about this...
[quote]It

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']

[quote]A couple things. First, you say "the U.S" and "America" did this or that, but the country didn't do anything. It sounds like this was government sanctioned. Americans imported the dogs into the U.S., etc. Secondly, you should be a little more specific in what dogs you're talking about (gooeydog mentioned that earlier in another paragraph). What were the ancestors that were imported into America? Staffybulls? Are Pit Bulls from Staffords, or are they, like the APBT and AmStaff, the same thing that went in different directions? How did the Pit Bull become "more unique" than "the dogs in Europe"?
[/quote]

So should I say the people of America involved with the pit bull instead?
and.... should I explain the whole staffybull/amstaff/pitbull thing here or later when I talk about the term "pit bull" (which I will be adjusting that paragraph according to yalls input!) I thought I explained why they were unique in the paragraph.... because of the way the people in the U.S. were breeding them, heavier and longer-legged (while Europe was breeding small, in fact they had a lot of 15lb pits).[/quote]

:) I get that the APBTs were unique, but you said they were "more unique," so I was wondering how? I would just say that Americans did stuff, not "America" or "the U.S." or even that they developed a certain way in America. As to the Staffy>APBT>AmStaff thing, that's up to you. It was just something to think about in case you wanted to pursue it.

I don't know if you've had to finish it since Dogo went down, but I look forward to seeing the finished product!