Dogomania

What breeds are considered "pit bulls"?

Are all of the breeds listed "pit bulls"???  

1. 1. Are all of the breeds listed "pit bulls"???

• Not sure....
    • No
    • Yes

I never considered a lot of these breeds to be pit bulls (like chows and shar peis, and even boxers, bostons, and bulldogs) but according to this website, they are.... are they right?

[quote][b]The "Pit Bull" Group includes:[/b] (parentheses include breed names that are interchangeable)

[b]Extinct Breeds[/b]
[list]
Alaunt (3 types, ancient breed for fighting, hunting and guarding.)
Molossus (Coliseum Dogs, used for spectator sports)
Spanish Pointer and Spanish Alano (believed to be predecessors of guard dogs)
White Terrier (believed to be a predecessor of many bull and terrier dogs)
[/list]
[b]Mastiffs (Guard Dogs used for catching and holding poachers) [/b]
[list]
Neapolitan Mastiff (also called Italian Mastiff),
Dogue de Bordeaux and larger Doguin de Bordeaux (French Mastiffs),
Fila Brasilario (Brazilian Mastiff),
Dogo Argentina (Argentinian Mastiff),
Presa Canario (Canary Island Dog),
Cane Corso
[/list]
[b]Bull Dogs (some too small for guard work)[/b]
[list]
English Bulldog ,
French Bulldog,
Boxer,
Alapahoola Blue Blood (Hog herding dog),
American Bulldog (recreation of old style Bulldog for agility),
Olde Bulldogge (also a recreation of the old style bulldog for guarding work),
Victorian Bulldog
[/list]
[b]Bull and Terrier Dogs[/b]
[list]
Boston Terrier (very small),
American (Pit) Bull Terrier (Registered by UKC),
(English) Bull Terrier, Miniature Bull Terrier,
(American) Staffordshire Terrier (AKC),
(English) Staffordshire Bull Terrier
[/list]
[b]Fighting Dogs[/b]
[list]
Chinese Shar Pei (Chinese Fighting Dog, became almost extinct when western fighting dogs entered China but brought back to popularity as a pet because of it's unusual wrinkled skin.),
Chow Chow ( used for guarding and as food),
Akita (Japanese Fighting Dog),
Tosa Inu (Japanese Mastiff)
[/list]
[b]Crosses of above[/b]
[list] (Swinford) Bandog (American Mastiff) cross between male American (Pit) Bull Terrier and female Neapolitan,
[/list]
[/quote]

[url]http://www.pethelp.net/pits.html[/url]

[quote name='MBM']Staffy Bulls I do not believe fall under the PB category as far as cross registration goes, but I could be very wrong.

Where is Odnarb when you need her!!![/quote]

Well, AmStaffs and APBTs ARE the only breeds that can be cross registered but Im talking about pit bulls not Pit Bulls. Pit bulls (lowercased) can mean alot of breeds apparently... but then again that could be wrong too.

Its hard to even research it when theres so much false information out there.

I miss understood where you were coming from. I still say no, they would be pit bull "type" dogs, which is such a wide and varying thing I cannot even begin to imagine putting all the breeds who qualify into it.
Lets try just for fun, here are a few of the obviuous;

Am-Staff
Bull Terrier
Staffy Bull
Pit Bull
Cane Corso
Dogo Argentino (sp?)
Bull Mastiff
Am-Bull

anyone else?

[quote name='MBM']I miss understood where you were coming from. I still say no, they would be pit bull "type" dogs, which is such a wide and varying thing I cannot even begin to imagine putting all the breeds who qualify into it.
Lets try just for fun, here are a few of the obviuous;

Am-Staff
Bull Terrier
Staffy Bull
Pit Bull
Cane Corso
Dogo Argentino (sp?)
Bull Mastiff
Am-Bull

anyone else?[/quote]

See, exactly... the pit bull "type" is what theyre referring to on this page so some of them, yeah, I can see what theyre talking about...

I mean far enough back in history these dogs were all linked and I think thats why they grouped them this way. Still some of them arent what we would normally refer to as a pit bull.

[quote]There is no specific breed of dog called a "pit bull". The term refers to a group of dogs developed a for competitive dog fighting.[/quote]

This also came from their site (if you didnt already read it).
So according to that, they are some-what correct... but French bulldogs (among Boxers, Boston terriers, etc.) were never bred to fight!

[quote]Pit Bull is NOT a breed. It's a generic term often used to describe all dogs with similar traits and characteristics often known by the public as "Pit Bulls". [/quote]

This is from PBRC. This could cover SO MANY breeds! Much of which are on that list.

I still only consider Pit Bulls to be AmStaffs, APBTs, and StaffyBulls though.... but pit bulls, geez, that could be so many breeds. No wonder the media always says "pit bull attacks!" :roll:

[quote]I still only consider Pit Bulls to be AmStaffs, APBTs, and StaffyBulls though.... but pit bulls, geez, that could be so many breeds. No wonder the media always says "pit bull attacks!"
[/quote]

Boy did u hit the nail on the head there!

I would have to say that the name Pitbull would refer more to a race of dogs. Generally dogs which had a keen interest in Pit fighting...it was at one time a general term for a race of dogs. For instance I could say Mastiff type breeds etc. and this would be a general term for Bullmastiffs, Great Danes, Rottweiler type dogs etc.
Back in the day before Purebred dogs there were only races of dogs. Slang names were used to describe different groups of dogs that showed similar behaviors and enhanced drives.
When kennel clubs came along and dog fighting was frowned upon the name "pit" was dropped from the name to reference this race of dogs. Kennel clubs wanted to represent a more dignified name for the bull breeds.
There are still people who like to keep the breed reference name Pitbull alive. There are also kennel clubs which recognize this name to group together a similar type dog.
Basically to me Pitbull refers to similar type dogs which have an enhanced drive (and lack of common sense :lol: ) to be dog aggressive.

When you live in a country, which does not recognize the American Pitbull Terrier as a breed, then they can use the name as a general term to describe a similar "type" or "race" of dog.

american mastiffs (from my reading) are crossed between english mastiffs and anatolian shepherds. they added anatolians to give the dog a dry mouth.

and i think they mean alapaha, not a lapahoola. :lol:

manye of those dogs ill consider of a pit bull type. but..chow chow?! SHAR PEIS?!?! NOOO. AKITAS???? NOOOO!!! that's a bit over the top. i dont even consider Tosa Inus a type of pit bull breed.

[quote name='DivineOblivion19'][quote name='__crazy_canine__'][quote]There is no specific breed of dog called a "pit bull". The term refers to a group of dogs developed a for competitive dog fighting.[/quote]

This also came from their site (if you didnt already read it).
So according to that, they are some-what correct... but French bulldogs (among Boxers, Boston terriers, etc.) were never bred to fight![/quote]

[color=indigo]Actually, the Boston was bred to fight! :wink: They were looking for a compact little dog to tear it up in the fighting ring! Boston's were bred from different types of bulldog (English and French), Pit Bull, and the White English Terrier (which was the culprit of the breed

Guest Mutts4Me

Akitas?

No, I wouldn't consider all of the dogs in that list to be "pit bulls," but what the list might've been meant to do is show the breeds often identified as "pit bulls," but I still don't get the Akita thing.

If you go here

[url]http://www.moloss.com/001/ptxt/breed.html[/url]

You can just see how many dogs, at a glance, might appear to be pit bulls by the uneducated public.

[size=2]But really, Akitas???[/size]

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='DogPaddle']Maybe they are confused and meen that the dogs on the list or dogs that have, in the past or currently, been bred, at least in part, for and used in the pit; hence pit dogs?[/quote]

Well... I could see that for Akitas, which were at one point used for pit fighting, but I think the term should then be "pit dogs" not "pit bulls," because many of the dogs listed don't have the "bull" in them.

[quote]Well... I could see that for Akitas, which were at one point used for pit fighting, but I think the term should then be "pit dogs" not "pit bulls," [b]because many of the dogs listed don't have the "bull" in them.[/b][/quote]
[b]Mutts4Me wrote[/b]
I didn't think any dog had bull in them :o that would really be crossbreeding different species. :lol: