Dogomania

Coyote snares...grrrrrrr

This is disturbing. This week a person lost their English springer spaniel to a Coyote snare. There is an access road behind our airport where many people walk their dogs. Unknown to we dog owners there are Coyote traps along most of the well walked paths...they are only about 20 ft off the trails. Most people walk here as you can let your dog off lead with no worries, airport officials OK'd this...they own 1200 acres of land which has some great trails for us loyal dog walkers. Any way, it turns out that Coyote hunters are setting snares along these trails...by law they do not have to post where they are setting snares. They Government stated in a recent interview that hunters do not have to post where they set traps as other poachers could steal their pelts.
The airport officials are quite upset, but there is nothing they can do. Legally the hunters do not have to ask landowners if they can set snares on their land...by law they can ask only if they want to. The airport officials said if they had been asked they would have said no.
I can understand to a certain degree the law...they stated that a dog off lead even if the dog is only 20 meters away from its owner is considered a dog at large. Dogs are not allowed off lead in any wildlife area. The part that ticks me off is the fact that hunters DO NOT HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FROM LANDOWNERS TO SET TRAPS ON PROPERTY OWNERS LAND!!! This is what really ticks me off the most. I just bought a home with 16 acres....I have lots of Coyotes in my back woods...there is nothing I can do to stop hunters from putting snares on my land as long as they are 20 -30 meters away from walking trails, livestock, playgrounds and places of business :evil: So, therefore...I was planning on making a nice walking trail through my property, now I

Wow! I would be extremely upset too! They wouldn't even respect No Trespassing signs? I certainly do hope the law is changed! I sure wouldn't want anybody tromping around my back acres without my permission, much less setting traps that would endanger my dogs... :evil:

How sad for that couple to lose their beloved dog that way. :cry:

I wish I could post the article from the paper...I don't have it in front of me I just read it while at a friends home.

You make a good point behle about no trespassing signs...I wonder if by law they would not be allowed to put snares on my land if I posted a few of these signs. In my anger I never even thought about this :oops:
Thank you behle...my blood vessels in my brain are much to constricted in anger to think logically right now. That is a very good point you brought up. :wink: