Dogomania

Should a dog aggressive dog have puppy's?

I have two staffordshire bull terriers who are both awesome! :D My eldest is 2(Brindle) and the youngest is 1(Lolly-Pop),their both girls.

But my youngest one is very dog aggressive.She's fine with our older dog (although even as a puppy she has always been the dominant one) and the two dogs who live next door to us.An 8 yr old boxer/staffy female and a 4 yr male cattle /border collie.

But when it comes to other dogs she becomes aggressive.Although she hasnt got into a fight yet.

Even when we took her to puppy school she wasnt able to play with the other pups because she was way to aggressive.

We know she has this problem so take extra care not to take her out where she can come into contact with other dogs and generally make sure she doesnt get into trouble.

But the breeder we got her from expects her to produce a litter(she was sold to us with a contract stating the breeder was to have a pup).

I've talked to the breeder about her dog aggressiveness and she says Lolly-pop will be fine with her own pups.But Im still not quite sure,I dont really want to pass on her aggressive nature.

Dont get me wrong,I love her to pieces and she is very people orientated and adores everyone.She's probably the biggest people loving dog I've ever met!

In my experience Staffordshire Bull Terriers are inclined to be dog aggressive. Even in the show ring dog aggression is not a disqualification for many guardian type and terrier breeds.
If it were a Newfoundland dog or Retriever showing dog aggression this would be unnatural for the breed and shouldn't be bred....it would also be a disqualification....but for your breed of choice it is a normal trait.

What is the name of the kennel you got your Stafforshire from?
If you signed a contract for one litter then you will have to do a breeding. Just keep in mind what breed you have and dog aggression is natural for this breed. I am surprised a reputable breeder would sell such a breed to some one with a lack of experience with the breed. I am even more surprised that a reputable breeder would sell a bitch from which they expect a litter of pup's from to a person who thinks dog aggression is abnormal for the breed :o

The bitch may be dog aggressive...but, when it comes to their pup's they will not be aggressive towards them.

As far as further knowledge on your breed of choice I would suggest you sit down with the breeder you bought your dog from.

BTW, I am no expert on Staffordshire Bull Terriers, but...I do know that dog aggression is common and most times expected of this breed.

Dog aggression is normal in Staffordshire Bull Terriers. You should have been expecting it when you got the dog. The breeder should have explained it to you as well.

I don't know whether or not this dog should be bred, but the decision shouldn't be made based only on it's level of dog aggression. That would be like not breeding a hound because it was trying to hunt.

I agree with what was said above, Staffords are inclined towards dog aggression. It's one of those things that you just wait to see if it develops. There's nothing wrong with it and she will most likely do fine with pups.

Personally, I have a dog aggressive APBT. It can be hard to take them places depending on their level of aggression, but you learn to deal with it. Especially if you have a show/working dog that you have to take to events. I would assume your Stafford is going to be shown if the breeder considers her breeding stock?

IMHO, NO do not breed a dog aggressive dog. However, there are levels of aggression to be considered, is she aggressive with dogs she knows? or just strange ones? Can her aggression be managed in a multi dog situation? Or is she extreme? There are ALOT of bull n terriers out there regardless of whether "dog aggression" is normal or not, who do NOT have any aggression at all. This is just my opinion, but my dogs, with the rap that they have, have ZERO dog aggression, or food aggression, or ETC. Now I still follow the old rules of "never trust a bull dog not to fight" , and I dont go to off leash parks just because it's common sense. Still to breed a dog known to be dog aggressive is not the best idea.

Better the breed, this is the reason to have a litter!

Guest Mutts4Me

A dog-agressive bully breed is not an "unsound" dog. It is a normal (bull)dog. If the dog shows any agression towards people at all, that is totally and completely unnatural and unsound for a bully breed and she shouldn't be bred. I don't think you have a choice, either way, if you have a contract.

actually, it doesnt sound like she has a choice in the matter. If she signed a contract, she's stuck with having to breed this dog unless she wants to take it to court. As other's have said, Bullies being dog agressive is not unusual, but NO people aggressiveness should be tolerated. And you said the breeder wanted one puppy? what happens to the rest? you need to think about this, if you are going to have to take care of a litter from birthing to sale, or is the breeder going to do that? Usually the stud's owner gets pick of the litter, but that leaves you with all the rest. Are you prepared to handle all that? Maybe you should point all of this out to the breeder and see if you can get out of this conract if possible.

[quote name='kendalyn']I don't know whether or not this dog should be bred, but the decision shouldn't be made based only on it's level of dog aggression. That would be like not breeding a hound because it was trying to hunt.[/quote]

DINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winner!

Dog aggression is a normal trait in the Bull & Terrier breeds. If we cut out all that show any dog aggression, the breed would lose some of the best examples, and become very sad indeed.

A lot of breeders do the 'contract' thing, though. Especially if the new owner will show the dog and the breeder will be listed as a co-owner.

Other than that, I think just making an average 'pet' dog go through one breeding is crap.

But for showing purposes, I understand. But the breeder will only come back and breed if the dog has proved itself in the ring/field (whatever type of showing you do) to be the best and most acurate description of the breed.

Am I right, guys?? I thought this was how it worked......but again, I don't breed.

that's how it works with reputable breeders.

but BYB's will have breeding contracts to dogs too.
like i know a breeder who sold a dog on a contract and that bitch had to be bred on her 2nd heat, no health test, dog wasnt shown or anything, the person who had the dog was able to hold off til the dog was 2 years old.

some breeders and just straight up crooked.

cause they get the money from the pups :wink:

I just don't understand some people, AAP.....

My husband and I question others all the time. We hear about animals starving or freezing to death and look at our 6 (7 if you include the foster) and we just don't understand. We'd give anything for our kids.

Before I lost my Scooter (she was 17 when she passed), if someone would have come up to me and said that I could have taken years off my own life to give to her, I would have.

But here is someone that looks at a dog as a money maker.....

But.....I guess that's why I'm here......to do my best to rescue and rehome and educate, right?

I agree with what courtnek said......your asking us whether you should breed her or not is a moot point, especially with a signed contract. :-?

Personally in this day and age, I wouldn't breed at all....just because there are so many dogs of all breeds langoring in shelters and pounds. :( But hey that's just my opinion. :wink:

I think its great that you are concerned and are looking into things. With a contract in place you may be quite limited in what decisions you can make.

While it is true that Am Staffs are permitted more lattitude in the area of reactivity to other dogs there are limits. Certainly discuss your concenrs with the breeder he/she may be quite interested in your observations. And while a "dog aggression" is considered OK currently among a large portion of pit enthusiasts people might want to begin to look to the futre. Breeds change (GSD have gone from squarish bodies to slopy back ends and are now moving back again) as society dictates, if people want to keep having these dogs then they may want to consider modifying breeding programs to reduce overall reactivity. As human and canine population density increases dog reactivity may become more and more impracticle.

Good luck - whatever happens.

[quote name='DogPaddle'] And while a "dog aggression" is considered OK currently among a large portion of pit enthusiasts people might want to begin to look to the futre. Breeds change (GSD have gone from squarish bodies to slopy back ends and are now moving back again) as society dictates, if people want to keep having these dogs then they may want to consider modifying breeding programs to reduce overall reactivity. As human and canine population density increases dog reactivity may become more and more impracticle.[/quote]

Very true. However, I have noticed that when breeders select for non-dog aggressive dogs, drive and intellegence start to drop as well.

There is a simpler answer, and that would be for people who can't or don't want to handle breeds that normally display reactivity and various types of aggression to choose breeds more suitable for them.

I mean, Great Danes are big. Wouldn't they be be easier to own if they were smaller?

Careful, competent breeding should allow one to breed out aggression without affecting the others. There is no reason why aggression and intelligence would be linked unless you find an intelligent dog that is not being stimulated enough and is becoming aggressive through lack of stimulation and frustration. It may not be done perfectly all the time but morons who breed soley for a big head aren't doing a great job either so might as well give it a try.

As for Danes - not only would they be easier to own if they were a touch smaller but they would likely be healthier and live longer. So, I think it would be great if they were bred 2-4 inches shorter on average rather than some (of course not all) breeders just breeding the biggest Dane to the biggest Dane - they'd still be Danes. In fact, I imagine they would be closer to older styles of Danes as we tend to see dogs with their unique traits overaccentuated now.

As for people being prepared for the breed they get - I agree with you completely. A lot of problems could be solved if people carefully researched their breeds. Even if dog aggression is reduced overall in pits potential owners should still be aware of and prepared for the dogs heritage should it express itself.

[quote name='DogPaddle']Careful, competent breeding should allow one to breed out aggression without affecting the others. There is no reason why aggression and intelligence would be linked unless you find an intelligent dog that is not being stimulated enough and is becoming aggressive through lack of stimulation and frustration. It may not be done perfectly all the time but morons who breed soley for a big head aren't doing a great job either so might as well give it a try.
[/quote]

The AmStaf folks have been trying for 70 years, and it hasn't happened yet :wink:

I was definately under the impression that the AmStaff folks balked at the suggestion of changing the breed but I personnally only knew 1 decent but not good AmStaff breeder and knew 2 crappy ones distantly. Whenver I have suggested it here there is a flurry of objections. :niewiem: Oh well. All of this doesn't help with the original post much. She is still stuck with whatever the contract holds her too and we don't know if the dog is overly dog aggressive or just has whatever is considered "normal" dog aggression in Amstaffs. We have to rely on the origninal breeder to make responsible decisions, lets both just hope for the best.

[quote name='DogPaddle']I was definately under the impression that the AmStaff folks balked at the suggestion of changing the breed but I personnally only knew 1 decent but not good AmStaff breeder and knew 2 crappy ones distantly. Whenver I have suggested it here there is a flurry of objections. :niewiem: Oh well. [/quote]

Well, let me rephrase that, a good deal of AmStaf breeders are trying. There are a few that are still true to the breed, but even more that try to distance themselves from the APBT. I see the dogs betting bigger and slower (in mind AND body :o )