Dogomania

How to stud

candy722

I can tell you that even the best breeders out there still make their own mistakes. They might be able to make less mistakes than others but will still have accidents. So bottom line to avoid having more dogs in this world we need to stop breeding. We got to start adopting those that dont have home. I have made up my mind that I won't stud anymore even though i feel I have enough experience to do it since I have volunteered in a kennel for a month but if i do change my mind I will go ask the people that I worked with at the kennel for their opinions about stud. And it doesn't make it okay for people to breed even if they know what there doing because we are over populated with dogs. So stick to your own beliefs.

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm very confused by the sudden turn around, but I'm happy if you've decided not to stud your dog out. If your bf's mom really wants a Yorkie puppy, I would contact shelters and rescues in your area and let them know that you'd really like a Yorkshire pup, so if they get any in, they can call you.

I would look very carefully into what makes a responsible breeder, and what makes a dog worthy of being bred, and I would honestly evaluate your situation. If your dog doesn't meet those requirements (meaning he doesn't pass the various health tests and doesn't earn a Ch. title), I would get your dog neutered. And if you don't want to invest the time and money to get those checks done (including the showing), I would just get him neutered now to prevent accidental litters and dominant behavior.

A neutered dog/cat is less likely to roam far from home (risking all kinds of danger) and are less likely to be territorial and aggressive with other animals. It honestly is better for your dog to be neutered.

I think some1 took a trip to their local shelter and saw all the lovable homeless puppies there.[quote]I can tell you that even the best breeders out there still make their own mistakes. They might be able to make less mistakes than others but will still have accidents. So bottom line to avoid having more dogs in this world we need to stop breeding. We got to start adopting those that dont have home. I have made up my mind that I won't stud anymore even though i feel I have enough experience to do it since I have volunteered in a kennel for a month but if i do change my mind I will go ask the people that I worked with at the kennel for their opinions about stud. And it doesn't make it okay for people to breed even if they know what there doing because we are over populated with dogs. So stick to your own beliefs[/quote]

[quote]Did you guys ever think about getting a pure bred dog? [/quote]
[color=blue]Yes I have three shar-pei - I show them[/color]
[quote]By the way, how would you like to be fixed since baby? [/quote]
[color=blue]dogs do not think like humans the stud is never present at the birth The bith is more than happy to let the litter go to new homes at 8 weeks
the human mother does not want to let go after 18 years[/color]

• 4 months later...

I used to live in californa 2 months ago, & when I went to the dog shelter I found 4 purebred yorkies, 8 purebred labs,and 6 mutts.Sad to say, some of the yorkies are going to be put to sleep because nobody wanted them.You know what?You're the perfect example of a BYB!!!

My beloved Pooh Bear is a prime example of bad (obviously BYB) breeding. He had hip dysplasia (which is genetic) when I adopted him at 14 months old. He had been with the rescue shelter I adopted him from since he was 7 weeks old. He had hip surgery last week, which will prevent crippling arthritis in that hip. Hopefully his other hip will stay okay.

To steal some of the signatures on Dogo (one of which is mine):

"Don't breed while shelter animals die"
"Safe a life; Adopt a dog"

Guest Anonymous

First off, if you think all it takes to breed is to throw two dogs in a room together, you shouldnt even be thinking about breeding. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
ALSO, There are more things to consider than just using your dog as stud. What kind of bitches would you breed your dog to? I have a feeling it would be any bitch that came to you. I know when I stud a dog out it is only to bitches I completely approve of. All proven bitches from proven bloodlines. AND, a negative Brucellosis test is always required. Health tests shouldnt only include your dog but also the bitch. You know, there are people who have sick dogs trying to find people who will breed their dogs with them so they do get sick, on purpose. You could end up losing your pooch over some BS idea to stud him out... You have no legitimate reason to breed your dog. Most people wanting a purebred dog will go to a reputable breeder. Also, since you dont own the female you have no say what is to be done with the pups.

Edited to add... There is a lot more to it than what I mentioned. A LOT!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this a an old post but I wanted to share my thoughts. I agree with most of you that a lot of people breed irresponsibly when there are lot's of homless dogs. But I got my last 2 dobermans form a so called irresponsible breeder and I love them, I never could have afforded a registered doberman (they go for 1,500 around here), and they are not often seen in shelters and the ones that are tend to have issues. I have nothing against shelters but the ones around here make it almost impossible to get a dog. I've owned dogs my whole life and when my Great Pyrenese died from Epilepsy, I decided to get a dog from the SPCA and they would not give him to us, we passed the written test but we had a dog who was not spayed (she had been injured when she was a pup and was unable to have puppies, or even come into heat, the vet told us not to even bother spaying her because she was unable to breed) Even with a call from our vet they still would not let us have him, they told us even if we had a cat who was un spayed or un neutered we could not get an animal from them. Needless to say I have never gone back. I know they mean well but how can you support them and get animals from them if they won't let you have one without spaying and neutering all your other animals. I suppose they wanted me to spay and neuter my horses and birds as well. I by no means support irresponsible breeding, I just don't agree with the SPCA around here. Just my 2 cents :)

[quote name='DobieGirl']I know this a an old post but I wanted to share my thoughts. I agree with most of you that a lot of people breed irresponsibly when there are lot's of homless dogs. But I got my last 2 dobermans form a so called irresponsible breeder and I love them, I never could have afforded a registered doberman (they go for 1,500 around here), and they are not often seen in shelters and the ones that are tend to have issues. I have nothing against shelters but the ones around here make it almost impossible to get a dog. I've owned dogs my whole life and when my Great Pyrenese died from Epilepsy, I decided to get a dog from the SPCA and they would not give him to us, we passed the written test but we had a dog who was not spayed (she had been injured when she was a pup and was unable to have puppies, or even come into heat, the vet told us not to even bother spaying her because she was unable to breed) Even with a call from our vet they still would not let us have him, they told us even if we had a cat who was un spayed or un neutered we could not get an animal from them. Needless to say I have never gone back. I know they mean well but how can you support them and get animals from them if they won't let you have one without spaying and neutering all your other animals. I suppose they wanted me to spay and neuter my horses and birds as well. I by no means support irresponsible breeding, I just don't agree with the SPCA around here. Just my 2 cents :)[/quote]

It does seem kind of silly since the vet called, but I agree with not adopting a dog to any house with another unfixed animal (depending on the species). No, they would not expect you to fix your birds/horses. And yes, by buying from an irresponsible breeder you support it unfortunately. The shelter here has two gorgeous dobes right now, a red and a black. Also 90% of dogs are in shelters through no fault of their own, so not all shelter dobes will have issues. Theres also many doberman rescues, even if your shelter dosn't have any, dobe rescues are packed with them.

They told me I couldn't abopt a dog if I had a cat that was unfixed. I didn't know cats and dogs could breed. I'm sure I am not the only person on here who has bought a dog from someone other than a Reputable breeder instead of abopting one, If that makes me a supporter of irresponsible breeding then I guess I am. I have no regrets buying my last 2 dobes and wouldn't give them up for the world. I certainly would have looked into a Dobe Shelter instead of buying a dog but unfortunately there are none around here and it is unrealistic for me to travel to different provinces looking for a dobe shelter.

If you have an unfixed cat you could be adding to the population problem (not that you are, I understand your cat can't breed) and they don't want someone to have one of their dogs just to have litters of another species.

No, you're not the only person. But the majority didn't know any better and you did. There's nothing wrong with buying from a reputable breeder, but you said yourself you didn't want to pay for a healthy well-bred dog.

Nova Scotia doberman and min pin rescue
[url]http://www.minpinrescuens.com/[/url]

Also many breed rescues are willing to transport from other places for you.

And sorry, I refuse to believe a reputable breeder would charge $1500 for a pet quality puppy. Dobe's arn't exactly a rare breed.