Dogomania

Back to the Vets for Boonie..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well we are back off to the vets at 6 pm tonight. he's b een coughingh and gagging realy bad today. and with his collapsing trecha ( sp?) i'm really worried. so i called the vet and they want him to come in and we are going to put him on a cough med.. it sounds so painful for him when he cough/gags.. i'm really worried about this collapsing trecha.. i'm gonna go do a google search on it right now..

Guest Anonymous

the vet put him on Tussigon tablets.. 1/8th of a tablet 3/x a day. until they are gone ( there are 5 pills ) and if that doesn't help we will be doing Xrays in Jan. I hope that these pills work and get it under control. they said that it is equvilent to our Robbituson cough syrup.. *fingers crossed* i'll keep you all updated!

My pomeranian, PiPi, that I lost to congestive heart failure at 14 this past July, also had a collapsing trachea. She was on hydrocodone regularly, especially the last year or so of her life. Collasping trachea's are no fun for them, you feel so helpless, when they start coughing it seems like the more they cough the more it collapses and it is miserable for them. PiPi would sound like she had asthma.
Good luck with Boonie, I hope he feels better soon!

Both P&P have collapsing trachea, and it hasn't been too bad for them (knock wood). Peanut had a cough for awhile, the vet gave some cough syrup to calm his throat because he had a whole bad cycle of coughing irritating his throat which made him cough etc etc. He's gotten over it since and is doing very well, and only has attacks only once in a long while. Pixie is having her first cough, but she seems to be going fewer and far between. It does sound a lot like asthma. My vet says it's not that big of a deal, just SOUNDS hideous. They actually did an xray on Peanut that showed where his trachea is narrow, which causes the problem.

A lady who sat by me in the waiting room one time, who used to show and raise Yorkies said that she had a Yorkie with collapsing trachea once, and she had surgery done on him to fix it. I think I would wait to see how bad it would be before I jumped into that. Like I said, once we stopped the vicious coughing cycle, I can't even remember the last time he had a cough.

Anyway, hope Boonie gets well soon!