Dogomania

Drooling too much?

imported_Matty

One of my dogs has me really concerned, and I don't know if its some thing that might be an emergency or vet appointment related.
I gave my dogs some fresh salmon with their meal last week. I deboned it all (it was cooked, I ate some too). My husky about 1 hour after the meal started drooling, I mean really big splatters of drool and his whole front chest and legs were drenched and he kept licking his mouth. I thought at that time that he had got a bone stuck in his throat. I was going to take him to the vet the next morning. He wasn't listless or uncomfortable if he was I would have rushed him in. Any way, the next morning he was fine and back to his old self of being a non drooler. I forgot about it and passed it off as just being a bone caught that dislodged on its own.
Last night after I fed my dogs he did the same thing, there was no salmon to blame. The only thing I added to his meal was carrots, spinach and broccoli. About 1 hour after the meal he began to drool, I though maybe he was full of gas, then I checked his belly to see if he was bloating. His belly felt fine. He was drooling so much he drenched my bed sheets on my bed, I had to change them. I checked his lymph node on his neck and back legs to see if they were swelled, they werent. Now this morning he is fine again. Now, during these 2 episodes he has not been lethargic or restless or even uncomfortable, he just drools excessevily. Should I make an appointment or does some one here know what it might be?

So every time you feed him this happens? If so I would go to the vet, if yours is busy see another. If it was just the salmon I would say food allergy, if it was just once I would guess his tummy was off or mild food poisoning. Maybe test by giving him a very small serving of chicken and rice.

Thanks Dogpaddle, It has only happened to him twice. Once this week and once last week.
The first time it happened it was after he had the salmon, I ate most of the salmon and so did my other dogs, so its not poisoning. The 2nd time it was after his normal kibble meal on Innova and I added some fresh veggies. He gets left overs in his food alot and I make home made meals too. He has had salmon many times and other fish, he has also had veggies many times. When I am gone he is in his kennel with my other dogs. I have a huge outdoor kennel wiht 9ft fencing and a shed which is insulated for them. The other Husky is out with him and there is nothing in the kennel I can find that they may have eaten. I have fresh pebble rock which was washed on the ground and other than that theres nothing else in there for them. I havent even left them any bones in the kennel for weeks.
I guess I will take him to the vet. He just looks great now. I just don't know why he did this twice. Hes around 6 and never done some thing like this before.
Thanks once again Dogpaddle, Ill take your advise. :wink:

Well, I finally got to talk directly to the vet yesterday. She told me that it is bloat :o I didnt feel a bloated belly and she said that you don't always unless the belly actually turns over. She said my boy has a lot of gas he can't get rid of and its probably because of the little extras I put in the food. Possibly spinach and some of those other greens made for extra gas. Any way, I dropped him off this morning for a full work up and blood work and I think shes going to prescribe some med's in case he gases up again. If he belly turns I of course won't be able to give the med, but, in a case where he just gets restless and drooling to give him the pill. She said if he starts looking like hes vomiting with nothing coming out to get him in ASAP as it will be life threatening at that point.
Not sure about stapling at this point.

Thanks every one I really appreciate all your concern.