Dogomania

I'm 10, would a pomeranian make a good pet for me?

pomeranians

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='pomeranians']I was talking to Kat when I said that, not you Cinco.

That doesn't sound like to much of a responsible breeding though, really not one at all... but it happens.[/quote]

it wasn't the owners fault though cuz she was gonna have the dog spayed. There was only 1 pup that had a hernia or somthing but she took him out of the run where pups were cuz she said she's keeping him or just until they treat the problem. I think if she were to have problems due to the breeding it would have happened long b4 7yrs old.

Well, he looks, and acts as if hes in good health now, which must mean he had good care at a very young age. I think hes had all the shots hes supose to have had, he had to get them before he got on the plane, I think.

In his picture when he was really young, he also looked healthy, no swollen eyes or anything. Yes of course, you could "clean" them up for the camera, but theres only so much you can do, so I think he was very healthy then too.

And, dogs need care most as puppies, and he seems healthy, and well socialized... so I think hes OK.

My Moms six year old husky-lab cross lived out in the woods for months at about a year of age, and she is healthy as can be now. I'm sure she didn't get proper nutrition, and for all I know, she could of been a puppy when she was first dumped out there. Sorry, this may be repiticias, I've said the same thing practicaly a million times, but I'm just trying to make myself feel better.

Whoa, what? I said sites I've looked at, sites whos writers are breeders of Ch. dogs, and they have puppies available, not already sold.

I've read up on puppy-mills, byb, responsible breeders, all that. I said somewhere in my mess of posts though that I just get confuzed, because some sites definition of a responsible breeder is matched with the qualities of my pups breeder, and others aren't.

The definition of an irrisponsible breeder I think I pretty much know, except its never mentioned if byb, irrisponsible breeders, either, raise unhealthy dogs or not. I really don't care if he matches the breed standard, or even if his breeder could have cared less about him... the only thing I care is that hes healthy, will be healthy, and was raised healthy.

She SOUNDS responsible, its only if you really look some weird things come up... at least to me.

I do have a question though. I was reading a site on what makes a responsilble breeder a couple of days ago, and, I found the site extremly informative. Although... very confuzing as well. One post also listed the actions of a bad breeder, and reading down the list, my Conners breeder matched maybe two, three or four of those things. But then, on the responsible breeder catagory, she matched about 6+. How can she be both?

If anyone can answer this, thank you.

The first thing you need to look for in a breeder is if they do Health Testing!
If they don't, then run and never look back.
but dont get me wrong, just cause they health test doesnt always make them a good breeder either.
but the fact that your breeder doesnt health test(unless she does and just doesnt put that on her site..wich I doubt that cause if ya health test you put that on the site so people know..)

Health testing is VERY important with ALL breeds.

Another thing is if they show. and what kind of titles do the dogs have?
and did the dogs really earn the titles or did they go to small shows where they only competed against one or 2 dogs and those dogs were crappy so they won(when a judge is given a bunch of crappy dogs..he/she still has to pick a dog..)

How many litters do they have a year?
A responsible breeder won't have more than 2 a year, and a really responsible/reputable breeder only has maybe 1 every 2 years.

Do they interview everyone who wants to buy a puppy? They ask you tons of questions and they make SURE that prospective buyers are in it for the long haul and they will give the puppies/doggies a great home.

This is just the basic stuff to look for.

Don't think your puppy is any less of a dog because of where he came from, love him for who he is.
and just because he came from a BYB doesnt always mean he will have health problems..it's just more likely that if he would have came from responsible breeder.

my 2 purebred dogs did come from BYB's, but the difference is is that I didn't pay for them, so therefore I didnt support the breeder.
Maggie was free to good home..and eli..well I kinda rescued him..that's a bit of a long story....

but most people do end up buying a dog from a BYB, even if they dont always know it..

and your right, rescue dogs do come from BYB's...that's why they are IN rescue..cause the BYB didnt care enough to make sure the pups got a good home and didnt check up on the puppies..

PUP, that makes me feel better, thanks.

I really don't care about his pedigree, or conformation,(I can't show him anyway, hes getting neutered), I just want him to be healthy. I love him, and will love him, too.

I know he can't help who bred him, or why, or when, or to who... I don't hold that against HIM, rather the breeder.

Once again, thanks, that takes some worry off my mind. :fadein:

Guest Anonymous

glad that you got your pom finally. this pictures of him are cute! he is fluffly like my boonie was.. now that i have Stryker.. lol he's a compeletly different kind of pom, witht he long straight hair , not fluffy.. he was a rescue also..