Dogomania

People Magazine article on a Puppymiller

Lokipups

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mutts4Me

They're sooo close to 20,000 right now!!!

I think it'd be awesome if some other media got ahold of this situation and printed/showed a story about it, really highlight the cause!

I know that we all hate generic responses....but it makes you think....if they had to make up a generic respons to this little tiny blurb of an article...then they must be getting bombed!!

Did anyone else see the article? It's like a corner of a page.....it's small.

So for People to have to make a generic reply.....then it is kind of a good thing....that means they are sending out a LOT.

Right?

my reply:

If all of that is true, then you have been had by a slick kid with dollar signs in his eyes, nothing more. His house being clean is no big deal, his mother probably cleans it.
The puppies parents dont live there anyway.
He has advertised to ANY breeder to acquire puppies....those are mixed breed puppies he is selling as "new fad purebreds"....he added the shelter section to his site after receiving tons of flak.....regardless of what his house looks like, or his vet says, he
is a puppymiller and nothing more. You cant create medically fit dogs without certification of known inherent problems so they can be prevented.

as for your answer, I find it insulting that it's the same canned response to everyone.
Did you somehow think we dont talk to each other? I personally will not buy PEOPLE
magazine after this article. There are SO many dogs already in shelters, and all this "whiz kid" is doing is adding to their number. Consider yourself boycotted.

Guest Mutts4Me

My follow-up response:

Dear Ms. Fulton,

That's great that Timothy told you he checks out his breeders, told you he has the breeders follow strict protocol, and told you that "most" of his breeders are not puppy millers. I hope that what he told you was the truth. I also hope that the clean premises you saw were the normal state of things, not something prepared for your (I'm sure) scheduled visit.

Whatever the case may be, your form letter which went to all the people who complained did not answer my concerns. My concerns were not merely about Timothy Hampson and whether he is or is not a Puppy Miller. In fact, I don't believe he is; I believe he is a puppy broker - someone who provides a "legitimate" front for Puppy Millers to sell their wares to the unsuspecting world. As disturbing as it is, Puppy Millers and Backyard Breeders are a common problem in this country.

My biggest concern was actually the fact that you portrayed Cuddlypuppy.com, its founder, and the act of puppy peddling in a casual, innocent, and perfectly acceptable goal in life. You published stories on these kids as inspirations to their teenage peers in making something of themselves. So people - teenagers and adults alike - can look at Timothy Hampson's profits and start their own puppy-peddling business, or maybe their own puppy mill. What you might not be understanding as the big problem is that selling living, breathing companion animals is different than selling ice cream or manure in cute ackages. It's utterly disturbing that you seem to be comparing the businesses and touting them as equally responsible, lucrative, and goal-worthy. They're not.

Maybe you don't care what I think. You didn't care enough to read my letter as its own entity and answer its individual concerns, instead resorting to sending the same "canned" response to everyone who sent you a complaint. But how many people sent you complaints? I know that over 20,000 people have signed the online petition regarding this issue, and if even half of those people decide to stop buying your magazine maybe you'll start to care.

Sincerely,
Amber J. Dougherty

[quote]a 16 year old kid who runs Cuddlypuppy.com[/quote]

[quote name='pwrpufgirlz']Dear Ms. McCaskell:

We appreciate your letter and your concerns. When we chose to profile Timothy Hampson as a successful young entrepreneur we visited his home and took care to look into his business practices. [b]Timothy told us he checks out and visits all his breeders personally to insure the puppies are raised in healthy conditions and has the breeders follow a veterinarian-approved health protocol before he accepts their animals.[/b] Most of the breeders, he says, have only one or two breeding pairs. He screens buyers with a detailed application form, has a close relationship with his veterinary clinic

Kat, you're absolutely right, they shoved this right under the rug :x . I just got my mag today, not a single letter was published about the outrage everyone was feeliong over this, nothing, nada.
People just got a letter from me explaining why I will no longer subscribe to their rag, and to cancel me immediately :evil: .

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Lokipups']Kat, you're absolutely right, they shoved this right under the rug :x . I just got my mag today, not a single letter was published about the outrage everyone was feeliong over this, nothing, nada. [/quote]

I was in line at the store today and picked up the most recent edition, the one with Jude Law on the cover, and they had 4-5 letters published under the heading "Puppy Love."

I was quite relieved they didn't sweep it under the rug completely.

Guest Mutts4Me

I don't know, I was waiting in line and didn't have time to read all of them. I couldn't in good conscience buy it after I said I wouldn't, so I still don't know what most of the letters said.

They do tend to tell someone if they're getting published, though, so I'm sure if someone from Dogo was, they'd know.