Dogomania

TDG or other - help w/ food for pups

Baileysmom

I have my own two on chicken soup - and my foster puppies are supposed to eat what the HS provides which is purina puppy chow :(
(they are 5, 6 and 10 lb app 11 wk old mix breeds that went through parvo) I am having a problem with the middle weight puppy, when he eats he gets extremely bloated and his tummy gets rock hard, by morning its usually back to normal. the vet at the HS said I could try a higher quality, but is it ok to try my chicken soup for him or them even though its not puppy? is it likely that it is just a poor food problem or what else might be causing it?

I cant say if its a food issue or not, but Ive been feeding Chicken Soup to Hunter since hes been about 13 weeks old and he hasnt had any problems with it. Of course the vet raises her eyebrows about it because its not a large breed puppy food, but hes happy and healthy and developing just fine.

in my opinion, adult foods are generally the better alternative, even for puppies. provided they are labeled as "for all lifestages". there are very few adult foods out there that are of such a low quality that they don't meed that standard.

i'd say go for it, chicken soup is a good food.

digestion is the first thing that comes to mind after reading your description, so that may well be the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much - they are all on chicken soup now, and *knock on wood* Junior hasnt had a problem with bloating since we switched them!
Little Shane isnt putting on weight as fast as the other two - he is gaining a little, but still a little bony :( should I give him anything to supplement or just continue letting him gain slowly?