Dogomania

Male Dogs and Marking

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Another question...

I have never had a male dog. I have been told and read in places that if you neuter them before six months that they will not mark in the house.

I don't care if they mark outside. I just don't want him to mark in my house and in my parents house (which I visit very often). They have two female dogs as well.

Anyone have experience with this one?

• 1 month later...

My dog is not neutered and never marked inside the house.

Actualy, he came from the shelter with 2,5 months and 15 day after that he was completely potty trained ( he already had some training in the shelter, as the orfan puppies had a living area and an outside area where they playd)

I guess I'm luky :wink:

Guida

Guest Anonymous

My puppy was 5 months old 3 days ago and he is already started marking :o
He even marks me when we are not home and also my other dogs :o
But he is not housetrained yet, seems to be much harder to train him than my other dogs that I housetrained in 1 week.
Not sure if neutering will do any good with this since he is already started? :-?

Guest Anonymous

Boonie marks nonstop in the house we can't figure out why we had to go and buy belly bands for him and since wearing them not one accident and he actaully cries to go out and go pee now, where before he'd just lift his leg where ever he felt .

I had Hunter neutered at 5 mos and hes never marked, but hes not around other dogs either. He still pees like a girl, I heard that this is because he doesnt have any other male dogs around that he has to compete with. I highly recommend spaying/neutering any animal thats not used for breeding purposes. It will ward off alot of potential problems in the future, not just marking.

Kavik is unneutered and has never marked in our house or anyone's house he's visited and he is almost 3 years old. However, he does not live with unspayed females and has never bred. He did mark, or attempt to, in the vet office once after sniffing about very interestedly - I suspect he found some old scent he felt he had to deal with. Outside is a whole other storey - I don't think he has peed in over 2 years if it wasn't also marking.
Desexing goes along way to preventing unwanted markings but housetraining plays a role as well. No point not desexing a dog that isn't going to breed or doesn't need to be intact for show purposes though.

My family has really never had problems with marking. We own a male/female pair, both "fixed", and never, once has our male( about two years old) marked in the house. I don't know if it depends on the individual dog, but it might. I've always loved males more than females, as they tend to be much sweeter and more loving (in my experience), but that may also have to do with the individual dog.

Stewie was neutered at 5 mo and Finny at 7 mo. Neither ever marks in our house ever. There has only ever been one incident at my hubby's g-parents, they have a intact male and Stewie marked a chair after we had been there about 3 days. Was pretty weird. No explanation really.

My sister and my SIL dogs are both intact males and they mark at other peoples houses but not at their own.

Regardless, go ahead and get him neutered. My vet wanted to wait til 6 mos on Stewie but I explained he was beginning to mark outside and it was time, they agreed. Finny didn't mark until 7 mo and thats when he got done. It may not prevent but it is a good start!