Dogomania

Confession/....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok so today I have realized afew things... 1) my husband doesn't have his dog, and I have mine.. No they are BOTH mine, as DH rarely ever wants to go on walks, feeds them when i ask him too, hardly ever pooper scoops.. never helps with training. it's always me doing allt he work so congrats to me i have a aussie who is deaf AND a rottie who thinks she deaf.
2) Cody needs help.. I have slacked very badly on his training Even withthe help of Lynne and and Richard i've slacked. I've been so super busy with Justin and things that we have to get done and so stressed that i have basically not done anything ( i know BAD BAD mom ) but they do get their daily walks.. and i SWEAR once Justin has left i will be making the drive down to Portland so i can get one on one with Richard. Cody really needs it..
He's doing GREAT with other dogs.. but i'll get to that in a few.. Ok so y ou all know i swear by the GL and everything. Well tonight on my walk ( both of them remind you ) Zoey is very good with the GL on and walks right by your side. Cody is still a spaz with his GL on trying to get it off, jerking around basically not caring that he had it on his head and would bolt and run crazy i've always worried that he'd hurt him self. and today after a painful very short walk becuase of his pulling ( very vocal i must say too DH heard him all the way back home he just whinning and doing this high pitched 1/2 a bark ) i told DH i'm going to petsmart something has to be done, i can't work with Cody until after you've gone i need a fix my back can't take it, i mentally can't take it ( please dont think i'm a mental case who can't handle dogs i really can ) So i head to petsmart where everyone is all excited and runs to give Cody his weekly pets and loving. i tell them what's going on and that i need something other then a GL but not a prong collar. so they bring up the training lady ( whom i've never met before) i said i woudl like a halter or something. She siad they dont work and with the Hearding breeds you usally almost always see eaither 1) a Prong collar or 2) Choke collar. I started to bust out in tears My cody is so sensitive i freaked out. It tooke everyone comforting me to even ok the lady to put the prong collar on him ( with the rubber tips of course) he was an angel. i mean i have NEVER seen him walk on a leash like this in my life.. so i decided to buy it tellign them that if it didnt' work i'd be back. I also told them i will be getting persoanl training for him, so that he wont have to have anything but a flat collar on ( Richard said he can do it! ) and they were happy becuase i think deep down they all hated to see their Cody on a prong.
So fast forward we get home, i decide to take just Cody for a walk around the block and see how this thing really works, as i was still very skeptical of it.. he did SUPER great. totally beyond what i though he could do in this thing! i was so amazed .. AND then he shocked me even more. We were walking and out of no where these people on bikes with their HUGE black mix dog charges at cody , forcing the lady to drop the collar the dog came running growling at cody fur standing up circling him.. what did cody do? NOT A DAMN THING! he just stood there sniffed and tried to walk away!! i was soo proud of him!!

Just so you guys know Richard is ther personal Trainer down in Portland and Lynne is my trainer freind in FL.. she introduced me to Richard..

Aww Nay your not a horrible mommy! I know you don't like the idea of a prong collar but it's not like your leaving him tied outside with it on, or like your pulling on it super hard. Plus you have thoes rubber tips on them.

If Cody is responding with it on and not pulling your arm out of your socket, or whining then it must be working. Just think of it as a very temporay solution untill you can get to the trainers.

It's better that you're not using the GL anymore. Those things don't do any training and are dangerous as well.

As long as you're working to get off the prong, I think it's ok. If you can't eventually go from the prong to a flat collar without the bad behaviors popping up again though, I'd get rid of the prong.

Hey DAL....

About the GL.....it didn't work with my GSDs. And I was told a very interesting reason as to why. Maybe with Cody it is the same reason....

Dogs with long muzles have more nerve endings on them. There for, the GL is uncomfortable on Collies, GSDs, and the like.

But I did EVERYTHING right as to the introduction of the GL. I put it on the floor and they sniffed it, *treat*. They touched it, *treat*. And so on.

So maybe that was Cody's issue with it too. Just a thought for you. And no....you are NOT a bad mommy! Bad mommies are mommies who don't feed their dogs. People who leave them tied up without food or shelter. People who abuse their dogs. No one who loves their dogs as much as most of us on the board (I can't say all, cuz you sometimes get some nasty Troll on here once in a while!) are not bad owners.

Youre not a bad mommy - or atleast if you are, I am too, so we're in the same boat! :lol:
I too have been lax about Baileys training, esp since I got the foster puppies, and work has been really busy...... its hard to get out there and do it when not only are you so busy with "life" but youre the only one being responsible for it :roll:
I totally understand how you feel about the prong, but youre doing the right thing. as I understand it, if it works for him, it will be better int he long run than the GL so he will eventually be able to go to a flat collar.

dont feel bad!

I tried the GL because I wanted a really positive training tool. I tried for weeks to make it work but Magic would shut down with it on in protest. I use a Prong and find I have better control althought I wish I had a more positive way to deal with her and her dog aggression. I did find one "good" use, if you could call it that, for the GL because it was so not going to work out. When she hears other dogs barking outside and she goes mental I say "Want your Haltie?" (because she has a Haltie too) and she either stops going nuts and lays down immediately and is quiet or I put her GL on and she sulks and is quiet and goes laydown until I take it off.