Dogomania

Nylabones, Healthy Edibles & Booda Cornstarch Chews

lsailor

Any type of chewie that breaks apart should always be giving to your dog when you can supervise. I am VERY against rawhide since I had to pull a stick out of my Llhasa's throat after she collapsed.

I have tried all of them. The Booda's really break apart (being that they are the cornstarch ones) and the edibles would be the next, followed by nylabones. I have seen dogs with broken teeth from nylabones and the Gallieo's (the huge, odd shaped ones). So that is also something you should watch out for.

How tough of a chewer do you have? A nice stuffed kong works great for an agressive chewer. It's not something that will just dissolve after a while. They will always have the kong. There are so many new shapes to kongs out there now. It's not just the old beehive anymore!!!

Hope some of this helps!!

i do [b]not[/b] give any artificial chews. my dog had a plastic nylabone as a puppy that was supposed to be "indestuctible", but pieces of plastic came off and he ate them. nobody can tell me that is particularly healthy, and neither are all the artificial colors, flavorings etc.

if you absolutely have to go for commercial chews, [b]compressed[/b] rawhide is your best bet. it is heat treated so no large pieces of it come off and the dog has to work hard on it to even chew small bits off. the downside is that it is pretty expensive.

personally i stick with natural, raw, untreated bones. beef knuckle bones, lamb shanks, or if you need something softer for a smaller dog - lamb and pork ribs. all these you can get for very cheap at your local grocery store.

so - I know this was kind of discussed in an earlier post, but what is safe for them to chew on besides rubber things? shes always begging for something in the "bone" aisle at petsmart, but I stopped giving her the hooves that she loves, and I wont give rawhide - had too many choking scares over the years...... what should I get?

I've been using Nylabones since Cosmic was a pup. Once he unstuffs or works the food out of his (numerous :roll: ) Kongs, he simply shows no interest in them anymore!

His Nylabone is just about the ONLY chew toy he spends ages on. He gets the hardest (milky white in colour) one and gnaws the teensiest bits off after hours working at it.

I'm also worried of the safety level - but there's a real lack of choice! :(

Are compressed rawhides really any better than rawhides? I've never given him either - too freaked out after all the rawhide horror stories I've heard. :P

How about bully sticks? Those are supposed to be all muscle meat, and even though they smell funny and are really disgusting, the dogs seem to like them a lot, plus Goo's never even gotten sick from one (this is the dog that pukes just looking at certain foods, it seems sometimes :roll: ). Petsmart (they haven't actually had any the last few times I've been there, dunno if they're still stocking them) and Petco both sell them, at like $5 apiece for the big ones, but you can buy them online for cheaper. I still wouldn't ever give one unattended, but I'd guess its probably safer than regular rawhide. Goo did manage to get a 3" or so long piece wedged between the space behind her lower molars and her upper mouth, and I had to reach in there and pull it out (one of the foulest things ever!) , so she gets them taken away now when they get to that size, but that's the only problem we've had.

I'm very interested in this discussion. I use Nylabones but not the other two. I dont know what I would do with out nylabones. I have a tough situation cuz I have small dogs with big dog teeth. If you ever get a chance to check out the teeth on a jack you should, they are huge!! So even though I have small dogs I have SERIOUS heavy chewers. The galileo bones IMO are great. The pieces they get off are so small I dont see how they could do any damage but am always willing to be educated. I do give rawhide as well, never had any choking problems, but it does not last very long so I dont give it often.

I understand the raw bones but my problem is that I cant give them to them in the house. I'd really rather not have raw meat drug all over my floors.

What other options are there?

Edit: Forgot to say that Bully Sticks are a big no as well. All of my dogs have gotten sick from them every time I tried them. Are they smoked?

:Dog_run:

Raw bones are always fun. I gave Re-Run one with lots of raw meat still on it and I forgot to close my bedroom door. Thirty minutes later I went in my room and it looked like a murder occured, blood stains everywhere!!!! :o . Fortunately, I caught it right away and was able to get the stains out.

My personal prefrence is raw bones, outside when possible, and Greenies. Re-Run will do anything for a Greenie and it keeps him occupied for awhile. Bullie sticks are also great and Petco will sometimes run them on sale buy one get one free.

Paula & Re-Run

Roasted bones are a big no-no. The only bones should be raw.
Personally I wouldn't give anything that I wouldn't want to hit over my knee because it will break teeth.
3ofakind - My friends Jack destroys black kongs - the toughest ones. LOL
I give Magic big fat carrots to chew, she chews rope toys too, well chews and shreds them.