Dogomania

Walthams? good food or evil. Alternative?

imported_Cassie

A friend of mine has a Collie which has just been diagnosed as having a massive bladder stone which fills almost the entire bladder. The Collie is going in for surgery and will be put on antibiotics and the vet told her that Bree will now have to be on a specially formulated food by Walthams for the rest of her life. The dog is young and healthy and my friend is concerned about additives in the formulated dog food. She was wondering if there are any alternative dog foods to feed, or if Walthams is good enough. She has just recently (about 1 month ago, learned of healthy dog foods, her dogs had all been Eukanuba dogs prior to this). She is a little upset that she is just starting to feed her dogs properly and now this. :-?
So what she is wondering is if there is an alternative food which may have the same formula to prevent future stones. In our area what we have to choose from is, Solid Gold, Wellness, California naturals and Innovia (don't mind the spelling errors) The distributers are friends of ours so if any of this brands have a good food they make we can get them ordered in.

If you require an ingredient list for the Walthams dog food formula I will stop by the vet clinic and write it down for you guys to review.

Thanks for any advice, my friend is very limited in her research of dog foods as she does not own a computer.

depends on the ingredients in the food. i'd be happy to dissect an ingredient list if i had one to look at. :)

if i ever had to deal with anything like that, i would definitely go off commercial food entirely.

monica segal is a great person to consult with, monicasegal.com.

i think ultimately home prepared will be the best thing to do, especially since she's still young and has a (hopefully :)) long life ahead of her.

a friend of mine consulted with monica segal for a feeding regimen for a 9 week old pup she put on raw shortly after he came home from the breeder. she has been raw feeding her adult dogs for 6 or 7 years already but didn't want to risk doing anything wrong raising a fairly large breed pup on raw. she was very, very happy with the consultation.