Dogomania

Bil Jac or Nutro?

AKelley

Hi...I've been feeding my Shih tzu's the Nutro Natural Choice, Rice and Lamb. No problems. I recently purchased another puppy and that Breeder was feeding Bil Jac. She had wonderful things to say about the product and I had them send me samples for my other dogs. They love it. I am wondering which is truely the better dog food? Currently, I have to add a small amount of canned to get them to eat the Nutro, and they were all over the Bil Jac. I want to switch, but only if it's better for them. Please, let me know what you think. Thanks!

BilJac
Ingredients .
Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.

Good:
Two quality proteins as first items

Bad:
Corn and fairly high on the list too, by-product, salt

Nutro
Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

Good:
One quality meat as first ingredient

Bad:
Only one quality protein, salt

Its kindof a toss up, neither are excellent, either would do in a pinch I guess. I lean more strongly towards BilJac.

Have you considered
Wysong
Wellness
Solid Gold
Canidae
Flint River
similar product?

bil jac is a poor quality food. it's mostly made from the byproducts of the human food industry, contains large amounts of molasses (a sweetener, which makes the food attractive to dogs) and is preserved with a synthetic stabilizer that is already banned from use in human food products in some countries because it is suspect to be a carcinogen.

nutro isn't a very high quality food either, but it is better than bil jac. the main downsides of nutro are that it contains "poultry fat" and only has a meat content of under 30%, the rest is grain.

considering you are willing to pay the price for these products, which are fairly expensive, i can tell you that you can do much, much better buying a true premium food and pay about the same or only a little more. using such a high quality food means feeding smaller amounts (since fillers are absent and more of the food actually gets digested), so a bag will last longer.

more info here: [url=http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/]the dog food project[/url]