Dogomania

How many days between breeding is safe?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I have successfully bred my female yorkie two times - but we owned the male, so I didn't have to worry so much about "which day or days" were the right ones for breeding. I just kept track so that I could count the 63 days. Now my mom has the male and we are getting them together for breeding, but I have a question. They were together the other day and locked up twice, and we had planned on putting them together again after a day apart. (My mom wasn't able to bring him back the day we planned, and now it has been 4 days since they were together.) We were going to do it again today, but I was just wanted to ask someone knowlegeable if we might have waited too long or if it was still ok - as long as my female lets him. I've been trying to find the answer on different websites, and they almost all say that she is fertile between 10-14 days, but that it could be as early as the 3rd day and as late as the 18th day. I also read that she will not let him near her if she's not ready. I have just always heard that they are supposed to be together more than just one time, but I'm not sure how close the days together need to be. Thanks for your advice.

lalantex: I have some questions for you:
1. Have you showed your dogs?
2. Have you done any health checks on them?
3. Have you got a kennel name or are you just having a couple litters because it's fun?
4. Why do you want to have a litter? (I mean what's your reason for making a litter?)
5. Have you studied their pedigrees more then three generations back (I'm trying to find a male for my Bella and I look 8 generations back on every possible mate.)?
6. Have you had any enquieries about pups?
7. Have you had all the required shots and dewormings done?
8. Have you talked to your vet asking about these things?
9. Have you done research on genetics and breeding (ie. Do you know what progresive and resessive or heterozygot and homozygot mean when talking about genes?)?
10. Have you researched the bloodlines?
11. Why do you want to use THIS male? (pro's and con's)
12. How often have you bred your bitch (how much time has it ellapsed from each the first birth to the second breeding and from the second birth to this one?)?

I have a million questions that need anwsering for myself before I do even one litter. But it seems to me that you have just a male and a female and you've just decided to make a litter. Mabye you did that decition because you think it brings money on the table or mabye you did it because you wanted to show your kids the miracle of life. Or mabye you just want to care for puppies.

Don't understand my post as a very negative one. My goal is to make you think.

I know I'm young (19 at the end of this month) but I've thought about this for two years now and counting. I looked for a bitch from a bloodline that I like and got Bella. Now I'm looking for a bloodline to match hers for the male. I'm not going to just buy a male - I'm ready to travel several houndred kilometers to breed her with a good male.
But not before she has got her health checks and allso before she's been to more shows. She's been in only one so far and that's not good enough for me yet.

Before you decide to have a litter - you have to think. Will this breeding benifit the breed? You can't just think about THIS litter - you have to think about the fact that if the puppies owners want to breed with a puppy from your litter. So you have to think further.

I hope this helped.

Thanks DL, the problem is there is a big demand for Yorkies ..... people love them to death (they are extremely cute and whimsical). Unfortunately they have small litters (maybe 2 or 3 at a time) so that obviously won't meet the demand and they are high up on the scale of BYB dogs :cry:

I have a friend who wanted a Yorkie. I told her to find a breeder and wait a year or more if she had too and I told her I would kill the dog if she got it from a pet store :wink:

She took my advice and got the sweetest little Yorkie from a reputable breeder. I told her that a breeder won't charge her an arm and a leg for a dog, but a normal price for a purebred dog.

[quote]My mom wasn't able to bring him back the day we planned, and now it has been 4 days since they were together[/quote]
the bitch should be taken to the dog-
I agree with the others that breeding should only be done for the right reasons and the tests should be done- buy a copy of "The Bitch" 48 hours is the usual time between mateings