Dogomania

feeding question... please advise....

Taurus and Jada

I am currently feeding Taurus and Jada Canidae. I have seen great results with it, and am very happy with how they are both doing on it. My question is, should you always just go by what the side of the bag says for feeding guidelines.

I realize you must have to use your discretion sometimes, but Jada seems to need quite a bit more then what is reccommended. The bag says 4 cups for a dog Jada's size ( 100 lbs.) I am allready feeding her 5 cups ( 2 1/2 cups 2x day).
I know when she is hungry, because in the morning, Jada will go to the cupboard where their dog food is and sit beside it, until I feed them. She will do the same thing at night when I come home from work. Lately, she has been going and sitting by it around 8-8:30 also. ( Feeding times are: 8am, and 5pm.)
Should I be giving her more? She is still growing ( her 1st birthday is tommorow !! :peace: ) and i have read that overfeeding a large dog can put unddue stress on their joints, so thats what im afraid of...

any suggestions??

Thanks, Kara

The amounts on the bags are just suggestions, the amount your dog needs can vary. Though it's more common for a dog to need [i]less[/i] than the suggested amount. I believe the suggestions on the Canidae bag are for an adult dog, though, so Jada may need more just because she's a puppy.

I feed my 2 Canidae also, BTW, but truthfully, I've never even read the feeding amount suggestions.

I think that if you can't feel or see ribs then your dog is overweight.
I feed more then the guideline because my dog has a high metabolism, she gets 4 cups/day (Innova) and is 68lbs. (I think that's what they recommend for a 100lb dog?). I also add lots of home prepared add ons and treats and stuff so she gets a lot more food each day.
I go by the guideline that if I can't feel ribs and Majie doesn't have a nice tuck in her waist then I need to cut back.

She sounds like a very healthy weight. A lot of people tell me my dog is too skinny to but I know she is a good weight, I feed her enough anyways. Most dogs are overweight, so compared to most dogs your dog will look really skinny but she's perfect if you can see ribs. :)

Thanks alot for the replies... I appreciate it.

I am just an overly protective mom I think, and I worry too much. Most people do not think she's too thin, but I just want to make sure she is getting enough food/ nutrients, and that she is a healthy weight.

Thanks again for the advice and help,

Kara