Dogomania

Has anyone else tried Burns??

Smooshie

My female Boxer has some food allergy issues and Burns' Pet Nutrition was recommended to me on several Boxer boards that I post on

[url]http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm[/url]

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this food?...I ordered a bag of Chicken and Brown Rice online (they offer free delivery) just to try it out.

here are the ingredients:

Brown Rice & Chicken is suitable for all adult dogs, and because it is low in protein and oil is ideal for the older dog . It is naturally preserved with vitamin E and Rosemary oil, contains no wheat, soya, added colourings, beef or dairy ingredients, artificial flavourings or preservatives, and no genetically modified ingredients.
We guarantee that no battery raised chicken are used in our products

Analysis: Protein 18.5%, Oil 7.5%, Fibre 2.2%
contains Brown Rice, Chicken, Oats, Peas, Chicken Oil, Sunflower Oil, Seaweed, Minerals and Vitamins.

You should try to find out if there is somewhere near you that can do allergy testing.
There is one I know of called Red Paw but I don't know if there is one in your area. They do blood tests that tell you exactly what your dog is allergic to.
Maybe your vet can send a blood sample to a Lab that can do the testing.
There's two tests I think - environmental and food allergies. It's about $130 Canadian for all the tests.
There isn't such a food that will help all dogs with all types of allergies because you have to know what your dog is allergic to. I have not done testing but my dog is allergic to the only "food for dogs with allergies" that I've tried. It was Wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe and is designed for dogs with allergies because it contains a unique meat protein - fish.

i would be worried feeding an otherwise healthy animal a food with such a low protein and fat percentage just because of food intolerances.

essentially you are sacrificing nutrients that directly support body cell, skin and coat health (protein and fat) for something that does nothing but supply energy (carbohydrates).

if i were you, i'd look into california natural or the natural balance line.

and definitely do either an allegy test or an elimination diet so you can actually find out what your dog reacts to. it's no good to try 10 different foods that have fairly common ingredients if it turns out your dog is allergic to chicken protein or fat or can't tolerate rice for example.

:D thanks for the advice, Majie and TDG...I will definately look into getting her allergy tested....funny my vet didn't bring this up. His solution was to put her on Science Diet :roll: which I flat out refuse to do.
The only reason I was considering the switch to Burns is because so many Boxer people that I talk to recommended it.

I tried California Natural awhile back, and my male refused to eat it, so I stopped....but I will definately look into the Natural Balance. I'm hoping to find a food that both of them do well on, so that I don't have to feed 2 different kinds.

Thanks Again!