Dogomania

large black spot on my golden retrievers tounge

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I noticed a large black spot today on my goldens tounge. I'm really worried about it. Does anyone know what it might be? He is 3 1/2 years old and I never saw it before. Please help!

Guest Anonymous

Well ya know what it is? A big black spot on your GR's tongue :lol: Shouldn't be anything to worry about, I just noticed a big black spot on Coal's tongue, he's about 16 months... although I'm not sure how you couldn't have noticed it after three years... so I duno, it could be something else. From what I know though, usually a black spot on a tongue is just that, a black spot :P

Guest Anonymous

Although plenty of golden retrievers (and other breeds) have naturally occurring black spots on their tongues, black tumors in the mouth (including the tongue) are a possible sign of melanoma, which is definitely something to worry about. Not all black spots on the tongue are nothing.

primrose

Prim has a point though. If you never saw it before (and it may have been there a long time, you just didnt see it) but if u really think it just showed up, take the dog to the vet. tongue freckles are not unusual, but just to be safe...

melanoma is a possibility, with any marking that "just shows up"...

or seems to start small and then gets bigger. get him checked out, just to be safe.

Although not a dog, my mum got a black spot on her tongue once... if she didn't see the doctor when she did she could have died. It was the 17th ever reported case of tongue melanoma in humans - pretty scary stuff eh? :o

So although its not common, it is something to be aware of. If it is growing definatly go to the vet asap, on the other hand if you've just never noticed it before maybe its just always been there?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Aroura']Although not a dog, my mum got a black spot on her tongue once... if she didn't see the doctor when she did she could have died. It was the 17th ever reported case of tongue melanoma in humans - pretty scary stuff eh? :o

So although its not common, it is something to be aware of. If it is growing definatly go to the vet asap, on the other hand if you've just never noticed it before maybe its just always been there?[/quote]

Actually, mouth tumors are the most common presentation of melanoma in dogs, and melanoma is far from an uncommon cancer in dogs. The advice to wait and see if it grows is not all that great, either, because it is highly aggressive and once it gets to be the size of a dime (I was told by a veterinary oncologist), it is virtually always fatal.

primrose

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='bk_blue']Actually, Aroura was talking about humans.[/quote]

Ummm...that wasn't my impression. I got the feeling that Aurora was saying that since melanoma in the mouth is uncommon in humans that this translates to saying it must be uncommon in dogs since in the same paragraph where she talks about how uncommon it is she talks about going to the vet.

Unfortunately, melanoma of the mouth is not uncommon in dogs.

primrose

Well actually I'm sorry if it came across that I was implying that humans and dogs are the same, we all know thats not the case. To be honest, I've no idea how common it is in dogs, but my main point was to be aware that it does happen and that the consiquences can be pretty bad.

Taurus and Jada, good point - $40 isn't much in the scheme of things and I'd rather be $40 out of pocket than to lose the life of my dog.