Dogomania

Trouble with neighbours.

[color=darkred]Can't believe how ignorant people are. I was on my front garden putting some plants in when i happened to look over my shoulder and notice a Staffordshire Bull Terrier off the lead, walking with his owners who live round the corner from me.
I see this dog quite often being walked off the lead and whenever he see's a cat he chases it and his owner doesn't do anything to stop his dog.
On this one occassion my two cats Merlin and Casper were sitting by our car and the Stafford spotted Merlin and started chasing him up the side of our house and over the gate.
I stopped what i was doing and told the owner to put his dog on a lead, otherwise i would have his dog put to sleep if it hurts one of our cats.
He didn't hear me the first time, he was talking to his wife, so i told him again, to put his dog on the lead.....he told me to shut the fuck up and called me a slut. I was so bloody livid i could have swung for him :evil:
I left it at that and went in the house to fill the watering can and i could hear him still shouting his mouth off, so i carried on with what i was doing. Richard asked me what the matter was so i explained to him and said what a nasty evil person that man is.
About an hour later the doorbell rang, Richard answered it, it was the dogs owner. He said that i had ago him, Richard told him to keep his dog on the lead then. At that point i walked over to the front door with Emma in my arms.
I asked him why he allows his dog to chase cats, the man said he doesn't normally, he always stops him.....i told him he was not doing a good job as this is not the first time it has happened. He turned round and said to me........he's only chasing them for fun, wouldn't hurt them.
I asked him if he would like it if he had a cat and it was being chased, he said it wouldn't bother him, there are too many cats on the estate there like vermin and if he catches our's messing in his garden again he's going to shoot and bring them over in a bag and leave them on our doorstep :evil: :evil: I put it to him that our cats won't go into a garden who as dogs they don't trust only our own. All the time he was talking there was a big smirk on his face, if i hadn't got emma in my arms i would have belted him, i was so bloody angry :evil: he goes on and say's that there are three other neighbours that have been in an argument with him (wonder why) and doesn't care what anyone say's but his dog isn't going on the lead and that we can get the police it doesn't bother him. Apparently a neighbour dragged his dog across the road after it wanted fuss and i did actually say that is not on doing that to a dog who just wants to be fussed.
He went on to say that his Staff is very trusting and timid, saying his dog is frightened of two cats, a ginger and black one (why i ask) when he chases them :-? Must think we are stupid!
I asked how can he say his dog is trusting, his reply was they leave him in the room with there 15 month old baby. I'm thinking what kind of people are these who allow there dog to chase cats and be left alone with kids.
I said to him it doesn't matter how friendly or how trusting a dog can be they will still turn if provoked in anyway especially with kids as they can be cruel without realising, then its too late.
Anyway he kept ranting on that he's going to do this and do that so we said he can do what he bloody well wants and shut the door on him.
10 minutes later there is another knock at the door and Richard goes to answer it again, hes back but only this time to opologise.......he must have realised how stupid he was and that his dog will be kept on the lead in our street and then let off once he as passed us.
Why don't people ever learn [/color]:x

:-? Some people just love confrontation and he's obviously one of them.
Although if he's going to be like that he should have a better arguement and not sound so stupid.
Do you have leash laws where you are ? If you do, I'd turn him in for having his dog off lead.
I can't stand smart alecky people especially with smirks !!
If I were you I'd have wanted to belt him myself !!! :lol:
Hopefully you won't have any more trouble with Mr. Snotty Pants !! :evilbat:

My doG, I wouldve hit him in a heartbeat even though if he hit back I would probably be dead :lol: (Im only 5'1 and Im small boned, chubby, and almost no muscle lol I would be no match)

I feel bad for both you and your cats for having to put up with that mans ignorance! That dog deserves to have a better owner. Who knows one day that dog might be PTS because of that man and I would hate to see thta happen!

Sorry you had to go through that and Im sorry you probably will have to in the future too...

[quote name='Debbie']:-? Some people just love confrontation and he's obviously one of them.
Although if he's going to be like that he should have a better arguement and not sound so stupid.
Do you have leash laws where you are ? If you do, I'd turn him in for having his dog off lead.
I can't stand smart alecky people especially with smirks !!
If I were you I'd have wanted to belt him myself !!! :lol:
Hopefully you won't have any more trouble with Mr. Snotty
Pants !! :evilbat:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Thanks Debbie.
I hope not either. We don't have a law for dogs being kept on the lead here and i don't like having to confront people but if they are going to act in that way and be irresponsible i will not hold back.

xxxx[/color]

[quote name='__crazy_canine__']

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I know how odd that looks, Ive tried it before. My cat wouldnt move. He laid down like, "What the h*** is this? GET IT OFF NOW!"[/quote]

[color=darkred]I used to walk one of my friends pedigree tom cats on a harness around the garden and he didn't like it at all, he too would lie down and not move.
It was either that or be put back in the cattery......he was always winning at cat shows so my friend wouldn't allow him out the garden.

xxxx[/color]

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad you confronted him and I hope he sticks to what he says.

HOWEVER! If there is a leash/containment law for cats he can also turn it around on you. Just FYI so you are aware.

[quote name='Tammy']I'm glad you confronted him and I hope he sticks to what he says.

HOWEVER! If there is a leash/containment law for cats he can also turn it around on you. Just FYI so you are aware.[/quote]

[color=darkred]There isn't a law for cats here, they like to wonder......you couldn't possibly stop a cat from going where it wants to, besides cats are clean....they always hide there mess :D

xxxx[/color]

[quote name='Shannon_C'][color=darkred]There isn't a law for cats here, they like to wonder......you couldn't possibly stop a cat from going where it wants to, besides cats are clean....they always hide there mess :D

xxxx[/color][/quote]

Gotta break the news, not all cats bury their poop. I was having quite a time recently, finding poop in my yard almost every day, I thought it was a smallish dog. Had to keep an eagle eye on the girls, both would gulp down this poop with glee. Pulled in the driveway one day to see my neighbors tom leaving a large deposit. He casually strolled away when done. I have since read that confidant cats do not generally bury their poop, I guess the more dominant they are, the less they feel the need to 'hide' their scent.
BTW, the weirdo that berated you then apoligized, sounds like he has a screw loose, I'd be a bit careful.

[quote]He turned round and said to me........he's only chasing them for fun, wouldn't hurt them.[/quote]

What a moron, thinking like that is the straigth way to PTS his dog. At least he apologized. I hope you don't have more problems with him.

BTW i have two cases of cats who don't bury their poop. Fortunately Chrysler is like the poop inspector, always buring others kittens poop. :roll:

[color=darkred]I'm just waiting to see him out again with his dog whether he is keeping to his word or not. Mind you when he came over to have ago he did smell of alcohol :-?

My cats bury there poop when they are in the garden and i have seen other's bury there's. I suppose some cats are cleaner than others, however tom cats don't hide there's so maybe they are leaving there scent.

xxxx[/color]

We have some new neighbours who walk their sheltie off leash. The part that bothers me the most about it is that if their dog ran onto my front lawn and my dog was outside with me on its chain, Jada would certainly let that dog know it was her house.
Because they have a sheltie and I have a big beast!! (lol dont tell her I said that, k??? lol ) my dog (s) would be blamed I bet.
It was the same way in our obediace class. A lady also had a sheltie, but the rest of the dogs in the class were big. So everyone in the class would always been watching to see what their dog was doing, and keeping them on a short leash so they did not disrupt the other dogs. Well apparently this lady didn't think her dog needed to be paid close attention to. Her dog went right up to another dog and the dog snapped at her. Well the lady with the sheltie gives the other lady (who is keeping her dog in close proximity ) a nasty look....

HELLO!!! Just because you have a small dog doesn't mean you don't have to contain it the same as the rest of us!!!!

grrrr..... it makes me mad just thinking about it..

This guy sounds like an accident waiting to happen. :-?
Dogs with a high predatory drive should have their drives full filled by sports such as frisbee, ball games, etc. not by allowing the dog to full fill its predatory drive by chasing small animals. Who knows what may cause the dog to go into predatory drift, perhaps a small child next time who is unfortunate enough to run from the dog like a prey object. This I find scary, I would get testamonies from my neighbors and first go to city hall find out about leash laws, then I would contact the local SPCA and advise them of the owner allowing his dog to run free chasing cats.

One last thing I will mention. For my cats I have built a nice outdoor run for them. It is attached to my home and they can come and go by way of a cat door. I have trees and ledges built for them and a sand box. My cats love to go into their kennel and enjoy the sun. They are protected from any coyotes and foxes and they are not bothering my neighbors. Plus my cats do not have the opportunity to kill birds...I really wouldn't mind if they had just killed rodents...but, they were killing small birds which I was not happy about. I now have a bird feeder which I keep so I can watch all the wild birds in residence, and I also enjoy a few squirrels which have been living around my home for a few years.

I know its hard, but, cats should not be allowed to roam at large. My parents live in an area where there are probably about 20 cats which are allowed to roam. My parents are older and can not enjoy their bird house, they had to take it down as the local cats would hide around it and the birds were easy prey. My parents no longer have a vegetable garden, nothing worse than taking care of your veggies and digging to find cat feces in with your food, especially pototoes.

Just my 2 cents worth :wink:

I'm sorry, but I wouldnt tolerate it. If some moron was letting his dog loose to harass my cat, he would hear about it. I would tell him. point blank, to keep his mutt off my property ( and I would say "mutt" just to aggravate him. I love mutts, personally) then I would tell him if he DIDNT keep his mutt off my property, it would be "dealt with"...no details, just that. then, the next time you see him on your property, with the dog off lead, I would turn the garden hose on him and the dog. FULL BLAST. then when he bitches, you can just say "I WARNED you....next time it wont just be water..." again, no details....also, if his dog is peeing or sniffing on your property, I would cover all his "pee" places with black pepper. regular table pepper, NOT red. First sniff and the dog will explode in a sneezing fit, without harming him any.

:evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat: :evilbat:

Honestly Shannon, I don't mean to ruffle you feathers and I don't intend to be rude, but, if your cats are running around outside and aren't contained, it isn't unreasonable to expect that they will get chased by another animal. True this guy is a jackass for allowing his dogs to chase them, but they wouldn't be getting chased if they weren't outside running loose. Once again, I mean no offense.

I honestly don't mean to offend either, but I have to agree with Hillside. All my cats are indoor cats, and they'll live longer happier lives for it (IMO, again don't want to offend anyone with outside cats.) My last 2 cats got killed by a car and a dog, we never even found who's dog it was. Our neighbour lets her cats roam and not one of them bury's their poop and its very annoying having to clean up after other people's pets. I don't blame you for being annoyed by this guy though, his dog should have definately been on a leash which is just as if not more annoying as dog droppings are obviously bigger then a cats. :lol:

Have to agree with hillside, LC and Sasha here. Sure the guy is a tool who has issues (haha don't we all?) and his dog should not have been off lead regardless of the circumstances, but just like I always take BK out on his lead for his own safety (bar the off lead park areas), I keep my cats inside for theirs (bar their very closely supervised back garden excursions). Losing one cat to a car was tragic enough for me, I don't want to make it any more. :cry:

my cat is allowed outdoors on nice days because he is trained to not leave the yard. It took 2 years, but he stays in the perimeter of the front yard,
mostly on the porch, where he can bask in the sun and roll around. from the porch there is access to the fenced back yard, so if he's threatened he
has an escape route a dog cant get to.

Kind of off topic here, but I'm wondering where you people are getting cats that go outside. NONE of mine will go out the door. I did make the mistake once of trying to share some fresh air and sunshine with a couple of mine by carrying them in my arms down the back steps, but in both cases they wrapped around my face and neck like some cat mask and wailed as if the sun was surely searing their retinas. They made it clear to me that they don't do outside, tyvm. Perhaps I have vampire cats. *shrug*

Sorry for the little jog off the beaten path. Please continue.