Dogomania

pitbulls kill shelter cats... I don't get this story!

someone please explain this one to me!

The dogs were found in a locked area, not near the cats.
I think the dogs were not even from the shelter.
The cats that were killed were sick cats, each in their own cages; someone had to have let them out.

Here's the brief version from one site:
"Slaughter Cat massacre in North Carolina

Authorities in North Carolina are investigating the apparent massacre of 13 cats at a Wilmington animal shelter. Two pit bulls may be to blame. The dogs were found sleeping in a cage in the back of the shelter, along with the dead cats. The husband of the shelter's manager discovered the scene. He says he was so shaken he could barely pick up the phone to call somebody.

The dogs are in the custody of animal services. Their owner has been cited for creating a public nuisance and allowing the dogs to run at-large. "

here's another longer version:

[url]http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=1993816&nav=2gQcOQKw[/url]

This version puts more emphasis the only way this could have happened:
some horrible excuse for a human deliberately took sick cats (who must have been unable to escape) out of their cages and into an enclosed area with strange dogs.

Unfortunately (but predictably) almost all of the headlines went the expected "Pit bulls attack cats in rescue shelter" route.

I don't get: what the **** would motivate this ******* to do such a thing? But it also seems like there must be more to the story.

Pit bulldogs? Hmm... thats something Ive never heard before.

[quote]"The dogs would have had to unlatch the cage, push back the door, and take the cat out," Spinso says. "Those cats were targeted. Absolutely," Spinso says. Targeted because someone may have seen them as a health threat.

Most of the dead cats had F.I.V, a non-communicable disease similar to H.I.V. There's a hole in the fence surrounding the shelter, but volunteers are not convinced the dogs clawed their way in on their own.
[/quote]

Well I hope those people who did this get arrested and charged. Poor dogs were probably just doing what their owners told them to do and now look what they face, death. :evil:

[quote]"The pit bulls are victims too," says Spinso. "They didn't ask for this. Someone brought them here." [/quote]

Well at least they addressed that the pit bulls arent exactly at fault.

Many shelters down south are so inadequate they are barely able to keep the animals in-much less idiots out.

I spoke to an animal control officer in South Carolina once whose shelter had been broken into numerous times.

They kept coming in in the morning to find Pit Bulls moved around in the kennels and usually one or two missing.

They finally realized that what the thieves were doing was putting different Pit Bulls together in kennels first to see which ones would fight and then stealing only those. :evil:

Whoever did this I don't believe they did it because they thought the cats were a health risk. If they thought that they would have just poisoned the cats but the sicko that did this just wanted to see the cats slaughtered by the dogs. It's amazing how many truly sick people are just walking around out there.

Guest Anonymous

Bottomline is most other dogs wouldn't slaughter 20 cats (or whatever the number was) in fact most other dogs would run or walk on. This just underscores the pitbulls inherent aggression as well as the sickness of some people out there.

Is that what you really think guest? We'll let me tell you about Riley, my Border Collie. I have three cats which he is fine with, as long as he is constantly supervised, plus my cats are used to dogs and know not to run. Anything he comes accross outside of the house, cat, squirrel, bird, he WILL stalk, chase and kill. He caught a squirrel once and did kill it. So no, high prey drive dogs will not just walk away from running cats. If thats what you really think then you obviously haven't had a lot of experience with high prey-drive dogs.

My Pit Bull mix on the other hand is a big chicken and will chase anything, but as soon as it acts aggressive she will run away, tail between her legs. So before you go off and say that only a pit bull would have killed those cats maybe do a little research. :-?

The above very illogical post from guest is making me rethink MY stance on members only postings too.

My Belgian Sheepdog would have most likely killed cats when he was younger under the right circumstances. Lets see, running at large, no supervision, with another dog, pack mentality kicks in, already quite aggressive towards cats, um, yep I think there's a recipe for quite a mess.

Guest Anonymous

If the pit bulls killed the cats, why isnt there more blood? more gore? pit bulls are so strong you would think there would be more trama. I am not saying theres none. But from the damage I have seen caused by these dogs, there is usually so much more.

I think we can all sit here assuming. But no will EVER truly know.

Tragic.

I wouldn't trust my Boxers unsupervised around cats....they have very high prey drive...especially my female. In the last two weeks they have stalked and killed a possum, a rat AND a squirrel....I'm sure they would cheerfully do the same to 20 sick and virtually helpless cats if given the chance :roll: (funny...they don't have any pitbull blood in them...go figure :wink: )

On a side note, I'm SURE my neighbors hate me, because now before I let "the kids" out at night, I flick my outside lights on and off, bang the door, clap my hands and jump up and down....just to give any poor creature who might be prowling my backyard a chance to escape under the fence before I let the brutes out :oops:

[quote name='Smooshie']
On a side note, I'm SURE my neighbors hate me, because now before I let "the kids" out at night, I flick my outside lights on and off, bang the door, clap my hands and jump up and down....just to give any poor creature who might be prowling my backyard a chance to escape under the fence before I let the brutes out :oops:[/quote]

I do the same thing. There is a family of cats in our back yard. I see them sitting on the slide from the swingset, laying on top of the picnic table and even sunbathing in the driveway :-? !!! My guys go crazy every time they see them.

[quote]So, all you posters out there. What percentage of dogs you have owned in your lifetime would kill twenty cats if they had access to them? For me, it would be zero.[/quote]

Oh goodness, I've had several dogs that would have killed 20 cats if they had access to them.

My parents were always big Weimaraner fans, and we had several hunting dogs in my family as I grew up. All 3 of our Weims were small-animal killers. Cats included. The dog who was the worst of the 3 was named Shadow, and she was a wonderful family pet, but she also would kill anything and everything that came into our yard. We lived in a pretty rural area, so the yard was literally a fenced pasture off the back of our house where the sheep grazed. Shadow brought to the back step groundhogs, rabbits, mice, birds, and, sadly, more dead cats than I like to think about.

We had her till she died of cancer when she was 10 years old, a great dog. But also a cat killer.

At the same time we had Shadow, we had another Weim, Shamrock, was a little more goofy and less focused on finding and killing small game. But sadly, he attacked and killed cats who roamed into the yard, too. I remember screaming to get my mother to rescue a cat from his jaws one day...fortunately, we managed to save the cat.

And our last Weim, before my parents decided Golden Retrievers were more suited to them in their middle-to-older age, was Derek. By the time we got him, my parents had moved away from raising barnyard animals, which is a good thing because he would have liked to kill the chickens and rabbits if he could have gotten into the enclosure (he couldn't). I don't believe I would have trusted him around a cat either though I don't believe he ever caught one.

My first personal dog, a GSD, could not be around cats either. He never killed any, fortunately, because I lived in the city when I found him and kept him as far from felines as I could!

Just thought I'd provide those very concrete examples of good dogs who just were not cat safe.

[quote name='"xavierandrea"'][quote name='Smooshie']
...There is a family of cats in our back yard. I see them sitting on the slide from the swingset, laying on top of the picnic table and even sunbathing in the driveway :-? !!! My guys go crazy every time they see them.[/quote]

my girl Lulu grew up with cats, so she always tolerated them. Until we moved here, where are numerous tough cats who lie in the middle of the sidewalk and hiss/attack if we get too close. So now she wants to chase cats and acts like she hates them.

So one day I come home, go out in the backyard and there she is snoozing in the sun as she usually does. Lying not 5 feet away, also snoozing, was one of the neighborhood tough cats.

I had to wake Lulu up to inform her of the trespasser, who sauntered casually away.

:roll:

One of my dogs would have the desire to kill 20 cats. But he would probably go blind or die in the process. He only weighs 18 pounds and is no match to a cat with claws.

My other dog would probably just take a look at the cats, bark a few times, then go find a comfortable place to fall asleep.

I've owned over 75 dogs in the last 30 years and all of them, (excluding the Poms and Poodles) would not only kill cats, but have a wonderful time tearing them to shreds, burying the remains, then digging it all up a week later to roll in the smelly mess. Huskies(not all, but the majority) are notorious cat haters. Sorry for the graphic content, but Huskies, and especially Alaskans tend to have the hunting instinct very close to the surface. A Malamute cross that I rescued a number on years ago was on the verge of death because she had been visiting the neighborhood farms and chasing, damaging or eating the livestock. On the farm where I eventually picked her up from she had consumed 15 chickens, hamstrung two sow pigs(each weighed over 400 pounds) and had bitten a couple milk cows, not to mention dealing with every one of the barn cats. Her original owners' excuse was that he didn't want her anymore so let her loose because"someone would pick her up". She was lucky I heard about her or the farmer probably would have shot her. She was a very sweet dog, and the mother of my older dogs-Bug, Merlin and Happy. She just required allot of supervision around "prey". This is Trinka- "Chicken Killer"
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQClAqwZOTcvJrpNSodOmLR!Kc0lGco902IdxWIjeNZCJHQ!CG8IiVVDWZo2uh7ictvBT*IR5lXATmL6qXlJj5J36E4*OfRzE4jH*8jCvgSZeL*UwpsEguHx6OY8EnpM/trinka.jpg?dc=4675470135998168274[/img]

in order of onwership.

2nd - Irish wolfhound foster - definitely
4th. - Malamute mix - defintiely
5th - current Lab Mix (YES, Lab) has killed various small creatures. Field mice, squirrels, birds, and recently, teamed up with the foxhound to rout and kill a possum from under my shed. I dont know that she would attack a cat, I have one. she's afraid of him, so maybe not. so my percentage? 3/5ths....

[quote]Guys...Please don't feed the Trolls!!! I know it's hard but feeding them will only make them come back.[/quote]

Oh boy is it ever hard, especially when the trolls ask such stupid questions, making it extremely transparent just how little experience they have with dogs. And that's all I'm going to say, because I'm going to sit on my hands now.