Dogomania

My new baby chihuahua and yellow lab

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello all,
I just got a new chihuahua, and was wondering if there was anyone out there who wanted to give me a little advice or just talk about our chihuahuas. She is only 51/2 weeks old. I love her to death. She is my little angel . I have already spoiled her rotten and I have only had her 4 days. I also have a 5 year old yellow lab and he is huge. I see that as being my only problem. He loves her but it still scares me. I would love to hear from someone who has a large dog as well as a little one. I look forward to talking to someone about my baby Bell.

Guest Anonymous

I have a Chihuahua and a Pit Bull lol so I don't think you have to worry too much lol.

However...if you're introducing a new dog into the family, I would make sure to give attention to both pets, so your lab doesn't get jealous and feel as if he/she was tossed aside all of a sudden.

Always monitor their time together..make sure you don't leave them alone JUST IN CASE...you never know what might happen. Eventually after awhile...when the Chi is a bit older you can start to trust them a little more when they're together. Also..it is very important to let the lab know that he/she is boss...

even little things like when going out the door...you always have to leave first (as the alpha wolf)...and then the LAB..and THEN the Chi...the lab was here first and therefore the Chi needs to know that as well. Always give lots of praise to the lab when it is gentle with the Chi and displaying accepting behaviour around the little guy.

Chihuahuas tend to be very dominant dogs at times and are NOT afraid of other dogs, regardlness of size... you want to start socializing your Chi as soon as possible with other dogs and people so it doesn't develop an agression problem from early on...make sure that both dogs have separate food bowls and beds, and decide where the Chi is going to sleep...if the lab sleeps on the floor and the Chi sleeps in your bed, the lab is going to think that this newcomer has become dominant over him/her all of a sudden. My advice is that you don't want this to happen as I have mentioned, the lab was here first and any newcomers need to realize this.

Of course, this doesn't mean you give all the time to the lab and none to the Chi...lol well I think you know what you have to do...if you have any more questions feel free to ask us :)

Guest Anonymous

Did you get your Chi when she or he was very young??? I was wondering about some of the things she does.
Thank you so much for all of you advice. these are the kinds of things I need to hear. Bj my lab is really great with her so far. he lays on the floor on his back or his side and plays with her. He likes to get on her level. I am just so scared that he is going to get to little happy and step on her.

Guest Anonymous

lol yeah we all worry about stepping on em when they're that tiny...

I got my Chi when it was a puppy..yes...
what kinds of behaviors is your dog showing that you're concerned about? Some things should be corrected right away when the dog is young, depending on what its doing.

Guest Anonymous

When Bell eats her food her back legs start to shake real bad. At first I thought she was cold but then I was noticing that her back legs come of the ground and her face goes into the food. The same happens when she goes to the bathroom. I was not sure if there was something wrong with her or if her head is just so big that she needs to find her balance. She also walks backwards quite a little bit, when she is playing and going poop. A friend told me that a lot of puppies do that. So I was not sure about that either. Bj my big dog never did that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi,
I have a Chihuahua too and I also have a Chihuahua site with a message board where folks with Chihuahuas can come together and talk about their little poochies. You're all welcome to come on over and help get it started with Chihuahua talk. The web address is [url]http://www.freewebs.com/chihuahua[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi, I have 3 chi's and a miniature australian shepherd. 5 1/2 weeks is way too young to be away from its mother!!! 12 weeks is optimal but no less than 8 weeks. Please make sure that you keep him/her away from strange dogs until she has at least two puppy shots. I really worry about them at this age. The breeder should have known better than to let it go at such a young age!!

Now about your other dog, everyone is right on. Make sure that they have supervised get to know you sessions. You need to make sure that your lab knows not to be too rough. Just one missed move can kill your baby. Please be careful. They will be the best of friends though and will have lots of fun together when your baby gets older. I know that mine do.

Here is a picture of my group.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/jodithurman/P3010177.jpg[/img]

good luck to you