Dogomania

Rarest Breed You've Met

Shenanigans

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, I saw a shiba inu at at show a couple of weeks ago, a lady who used to come to dog training had an italian spinone. umm, its hard to decide what is rare...we have two curly coated retrievers that come into the grooming parlour once a month flloyd and ace, flloyd is a total sod though! :roll:
I have met a couple of Leonbergers,hehe, they are fun to get in the bath. Harley our regular came to us as a pup about a year ago and now he physically can't fit in the bath so he has to be done on the floor, we have to take off our shoes and socks and roll up our jeans :lol: its a sight! Same when we get irish wolfhounds,deerhounds and GD's in. St. Bernards or Newfies are about the limit in our baths :lol:
I have also met one Irish red and white setter I think they are quite unusual & a shar pei lives across the road from me (her name is Flower and Kodi luuuuvs her!) Don't tell him I told you he will get embarressed :D

Guest Anonymous

The rarest breed I've ever seen is spanish alano. It was probably 1 year ago ;) I've seen karelian bear dog, hanoverian mountain hound; polish sighthound polish tatra mountain dog and polish hound - they are rare breeds all around the world, but they are liked in Poland.
I think, that's all :)[/img]

• 1 month later...

me too on the karelian bear dog. he was in a puppy class i subbed for. not that we have a bear problem in md! i know these dogs are more prevalent in alaska, washington state, etc. i asked the guy if he had a bear problem (of course i was being a smarta$$) and he was like uh no -- well then i guess the dog is a success hahaha!

OK, I've seen a Shiba Inu at the pound (it was sad tho, he had his backleg broken as a pup and now it was all deformed and he couldnt use it) and a Polish Lowland Sheepdog, i dont know if a Newfie would be considered rare or not , but i've seen one of those, a Skipperki (dont think i spelled that rite) and thats it. Which of those are actually "rare"?

• 3 weeks later...

Several Fila Brasileiros, an Ibizan Hound, a Dogo Argentino and a Kooikerhondje (sp?) are among the rarest that I've seen outside of a dog show.

Edit- To the person who saw the Sarplanninac, there is a magnificent one closeby, sweetest dog you'll ever meet.. More drool and hair than I've ever seen mixed together. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I own a Bernese Mountain Dog (not burmese hehe common mistake), I am currently training a Leonberger. I do benefits with Chinese Crested Rescue so I see lots of those. Let's see I've trained many rare breeds. Puli, Komondor, lots of Vizlas, Briard, Shiba Inu, Beauceron, lots of Irish Terriers (Know the #1 ranked Irish and he's awesome), Newfoundland, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Blue Heeler, Besenji, Great Pyrenees, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Irish Wolfhound, Italian Greyhound, Kuvasz, Schipperke (quite popular here), Coton de Tulear, English Mastiff, Portugese Water Dog (two this week), St. Bernard, Shar Pei (my dad owns one), Finnish Spitz, Bull Mastiff, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Ibizan Hound, Afgan, Bedlington Terrier, PBGV, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling, Clumber Spaniel, Borzoi, Harrier, Norwegian Elkhound, Saluki, Whippet, Dandie Dinmont, Havenese, I don't know if Bouvier, Tervuren, or Malanios count but they are rare here.

I've seen many others but those were all at dog shows.

Around here we are over populated with labs, lots of Goldens, many GSD, tons of so called pit bull mixes, various Heinz 57, German Shorthair Pointers are common, Bichons, shih tzus are very popular and there is a sudden influx of labradoodles (not that qualifies as a recognized breed) many rotties, newfies, poodles, schnauzers, beagles, Chows, I think ALL of the terrier breeds are represented at different levels of popularity and the sporting group is very well represented around here as well.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Here is a dog that you don't hear about often it's called, [b]'Presa Canario'[/b] :scared: and was once near extinction. click on the links below to see for yourself.

[url]http://www.continentalkennelclub.com/Ads.aspx?BreedNum=612[/url]

or

[url]http://www.rarebreed.com/breeds/presa_canario.html[/url]

Nichole

Guest Anonymous

The owner of the pony camp my daughters went to this summer had an actual Dingo for a pet. Not exactly a "dog", but she was very well mannered, especially around kids, and knew tricks that would astound any circus audience!

I never found out where one actually gets a dingo from...

Not reading through all the pages so I don't know if it has been said yet, but the rarest one I know of is the Heinz 57. No two are alike (OK maybe 2-8 are alike if they're from the same litter).

The rarest purebred I've met is probably a tri-colored mini datschund. I thought it was a baby beagle .... was rubbing my eyes! Then I asked the lady is that a miniature dashi and she said yes, the color is rare no?

I also have met only one Bouvier des Flanders, "Arnold" after you can guess who. Owned by a family aquaintance. We had to babysit him for a little while and he was too much for us to handle, very friendly but you could not take him for a walk or anything, he was a leash puller and way too strong for any human to hold.

[quote name='Golden']I think that's silky hound.They are really rare,in my opinion there are 3 or 4 those dogs in Europe.
I love their silky coat, their character and they looks like royal dogs :D[/quote]

The name of the breed is Silken Windhounds.
And there are 34 of them in Europe to be exact.
I own 14 of them :-)

[quote name='Cassie']We actually have 3 (rare to our geographical location) breeds which come in for grooming. We have a Havanese which comes in to be groomed its the only one in our province. A Polish Lowland Sheepdog; also the only one of its kind in our area. And we have a Coton de Tulear which comes in for grooming.
.[/quote]
It's nice, because I live in Poland, so I have seen lot of Polish Lowland Shepherd Dogs "PONs". I like them very much .They are effective dogs.

I met Ceskoslovensky vlcak :D This is a German Shepherd and wolf mix. I really like this dogs, they look like a wolf.
[img]http://photos.heremy.com/justyna1/48352126808.jpg[/img]
My Clio with Ceskoslovensky vlcak:
[img]http://photos.heremy.com/justyna1/48352026808.jpg[/img]

My friends have got 2 schipperkes. :wink: