Dogomania

Would you chain a dog.

anne3149

But i wanted to respond.

1. I wasnt attacking those of you who keep your dogs indoors or behind fences in yards. We love our dogs and have to do the best we can for them.

2. The posts about "Poms and wolves are not related" are the same sort of folks who scream for the banning of pits etc. Ignorant. Genetically wolves and pomeranians are almost identical. The difference being you've bred surviveability out of the "toy" dogs. Which is ok as they are pets now. But dont think for a second they arent hunters. As to the "wolf rescue" my dogs are part wolf. Their mother moreso. I thiink id know more about it than google theorists. My dogs "wolfy" side is that they get really excited sometimes. Thats it. Id hope some of you whos goal seems to be to exterminate everything that doesnt sit in your lap and yap take some time to educated yourselves.

3. Someone equated an outdoor dog with finding their dog starving in the woods. Sorry but thats just an *****ic comparison. Should i compare my dogs, who live outdoors now most of the time, are extremely healthy and happy, to those dogs removed from homes starving, hairless, covered in ticks???? Animals were not designed to be toys. Of course it isnt cruel to keep your dogs indoors if thats what you have to do. In a choice between a dog not existing and living in an apt i'd pick the apt every time. And visa versa of course. Nor am i accusing people of being intentionally cruel by doing so. And btw to those of you claiming/thinking "little dogs cant live outside with big dogs and scary stuff!". I had a white toy poodle who spent its first three years as an outdoor dog. (My sisters actually). The dog was afraid of nothing. In fact my chow/wolves were scared to death of her. She ran all over the neighborhood and did just fine. My mom eventually adopted her away from us. Made her a house dog. She lost that bounce in her step eventually. Became one of the pets who wants to just sit n your lap and stare all the time. I loved her and it was sad to see her like that. I remember the bouncy happy little ruler of the neighborhood.

If you truely love animals you will stop believing what joe haircut newscaster tries to frighten you with. Or Jim "i need votes" city councilman. When they tell you pits are evil. Or dogs should be X. Or we should have a killing campaign. Or whatever. Animals arent evil People make them that way sometimes. And sometimes people do evil to them. Even the ones claiming to love them...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']I can detect a LOT of differences between a Pom and a wolf. :o

Before I go debating, I want to know who I'm talking to. Isn't it you who said you have wolves and wolf mixes (deliberately bred by you if I understood right)? I never did find out if you are in rescue, or just enjoy the company of these animals enough to acquire them. I certainly do believe that wolves are outside animals, but I can't imagine thinking they're better served chained in someone's yard. I'm not picking a fight. It just makes it much easier to debate someone if you know where they're coming from. So far, I've given you zero credibility just because of this, but I'd sure like to be told I'm wrong and that you are part of some sanctuary that saves them, or anything other than just someone who thinks they make great pets and should be bred to dogs for more great pets. I'm just having a hard time trying to justify chaining wolves in someone's yard and why that's a good idea. That's even if this was you at all. I don't really remember who it was, but I *thought* it was you. I apologize and will stand red faced otherwise, especially if you addressed this in another thread elsewhere and I just missed it.[/QUOTE]

Whether you know it or not there is as little difference between a pom and a wolf as there is between a pom and a shephard or a pom and a lab. Same critter people have just bred the pom into a bizarre shape (and poms are wonderful dont get me wrong imho all dogs are).

I adopted my dogs from in-laws. One of their dogs was impregnated by a wolf. I dont really care if you or anyone else approves of that. The dog catcher ever comes in my yard with a noose or gun he'll be met with a Semi automatic .308 fn fal. Thats not hype. They are my kids. Of course i wouldnt suggest chaining wild animals in someones yard. Though i find it ironic people id bet money go to the zoo for fun object to that. I guess a mountain goat or wildcat is somehow "acceptable" as it is for entertainment. Wild animals should live in the wild. IT has zero to do with breeding. Wild dogs live in australia. YOu'd be insane to "adopt" one. They are in fact wolves. But they dont look like wolves so.. There are wild dogs in america. Born and living that way. You'd be wise not to adopt them. Of course if the choice is to do so or to kill them then they definitely should be adopted.

As for "deliberately breeding". I consider breeding disgusting. What some of you do to dogs is horrific. You've bred in genetic diseases. Made wonderful animals so helpless in pursuit of cute or convenient they cannot survive without very special attention. It is disgusting. Funny thing is these tend to be the very people who squeal in fear at non-purebreads ie healthy animals. They want Pits, Rotts, Wolf crossbreeds etc put down because the guy with the hair on teeevee told them theyd eat their kids!!! Oh of course that kid who got bit was bitten by the "fighting dog" of some animal with two legs who should be put down. Micheal Vic et al. But lets commit genocide on the dogs instead.

And all of this wasnt at you you seem to have a great heart and an open mind. More to the people who consider it a favor to animals to breed them into toys and then lock them into prisons and consider those who dont "cruel". Its nutty. Insane. Vicious. Immoral

Im sure ive sufficiently upset the in crowd. Ya'll have a great day.

• 1 month later...

I tie out my dog about 5 times a day, about 15 min. each. This is so he can use the bathroom, romp around, enjoy the air, etc. He's inside the rest of the time. We cannot afford a fence nor can I risk him running away. I don't see anything wrong with that. He goes on walks and runs too. Heck, he'll whine and act like he's dying if his paws get left out in the cold for longer than 15 min. What a pansy! :smile:

[quote name='lukey']I tie out my dog about 5 times a day, about 15 min. each. This is so he can use the bathroom, romp around, enjoy the air, etc. He's inside the rest of the time. We cannot afford a fence nor can I risk him running away. I don't see anything wrong with that. He goes on walks and runs too. Heck, he'll whine and act like he's dying if his paws get left out in the cold for longer than 15 min. What a pansy! :smile:[/quote]
Why tie him when you could build a fence":mdrmed:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='doggy']My dogs here were never been chained. I read somewhere in a magazine that dogs never liked it when their owners chain them. They feel that their owners dont like them.[/quote]
doggy thats very interesting I chaine my dog some time although I see that agression seems to play a big part in it ;)

• 1 year later...

I never chained my dog. Not once. Chaining a dog will make it more aggressive. Chaining a dog for a short period of time, when a need arises is acceptable. But I don't agree on chaining dog for long periods of time. If they have a safe place to run around and play, why not let them? Just my 2 cents.

as far as i am concerned, chain the owner outside in the cold and see how it feels..

If someone does this to a poor soul, then they ought not to be allowed to have a dog and thus be prosecuted..

Sorry about the extreme views here, but you love the dog as if it is part of the family..take care all!

• 2 weeks later...

[QUOTE]Some people dont have that option. Im sorry but chaining them up is better than coming home to a yard full of dead dogs.
So just to clarify, you think I should let, lets say 30 APBTs run around with each other in a 9ft high fence? You think that is better than chaining them up? Not very realistic....
[/QUOTE]

hmmm if you had well trained dogs properly socialized to be around each other than you wouldnt have to worry about them killing each other...
if you can't accomplish this maybe thirty is too many
im curious why 30 dog aggressive pit bulls... dog fighting i suspect

[quote name='mommacrashandburn']hmmm if you had well trained dogs properly socialized to be around each other than you wouldnt have to worry about them killing each other...
if you can't accomplish this maybe thirty is too many
im curious why 30 dog aggressive pit bulls... dog fighting i suspect[/quote]

Then do not put yourself in the position to chain up the dogs in the first place...

• 2 weeks later...