Dogomania

Spay prices

Aonir

Maybe I'm thinking this is a bit much, but I've called around to nearly all the vet's in my area, and all their spay prices from a 20 pound dog is $130! I was expecting $70 because that's what my sister paid for her 60 pound dog where she lives! Is this price outrageous or just me? One vet said it would cost at LEAST 250!! And one said 130 WITHOUT the sedation, painkillers, and overnight stay, etc. How much did you pay??

Guest Anonymous

Have you tried this website for spay/neuter certificates? Enter your zip code and see if there is a vet near you that accepts the certificate.

Female Cat -- $55 Female Dog -- $75
Male Cat -- $40 Male Dog -- $54

[url]http://www.friendsofanimals.org/spaying/cover.htm[/url]

Hey kendalyn,
Can I ship Kira to you to get spayed??? :lol:
She was never spayed, and we are going to do it soon. She is 7 years old and weighs around 100 lbs.
I only trust 2 vets to do the procedure. Akitas tend to not do well with certain types of anaesthesia, and the prices I got quoted were ranging from $300-380. That price includes all bloodwork, etc.

[quote] the prices I got quoted were ranging from $300-380[/quote]

:o Woah! I got curious and called my vet to ask what it would be for a 7 year old 100 lb Akita. They told me about $130! BUT I'm willing to bet your vet is better than my vet. I like my vet, but after what happened with Kody, if Buck ever gets sick, I'm taking him somewhere else. I only trust them with routine stuff.

WHAT????? did you say WITHOUT sedation? They CANNOT spay a female without sedation!!! they normally put them OUT completely!! If they're doing this spay right, it's a complete hysterectomy!!! cannot be done without drugs!!!

I would check with other vetsw...your's is taking you for a joyride...

spay a dog without sedation. if he/she is REALLY doing that, I would call for getting their license revoked!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

[quote name='TDG']http://www.spayusa.org

fill in the request form or call 1-800-248-SPAY[/quote]
Hey TDG, is that link sponsored by cities/states? I ask because I went to the shelter where I adopted Dex and they have a city-sponsored spay program. Still the price was around $120, and I got some seriously bad vibes from the vet. He was so indignant with me. I called and was asking simple questions about sedation and anaesthesia, telling him my concerns. He basically responded by telling me "I have been doing this procedure for 15 years. I know what I am doing. I am the vet here, not you." :agrue:
I told him to suck it easy and have a nice day.

Remember folks, things cost differently in different parts of the
country/world. Anyway, as far as the stuff for the spay goes, this is the
stuff you should ask about.

Ask about pre-anesthetic bloodwork. Many folks think this tests to see if
they are "allergic" to anesthesia. What it does is test the function of the
internal organs and blood cells to be sure the dog's system can handle
metabolizing the anesthesia. And just because your dog had bloodwork a
couple of years ago, or even six months ago, doesn't mean he/she doesn't
need it now. Dogs age a lot faster than we do. Internal organs can degrade
fast. If the organs aren't up to snuff, surgery protocol needs to be changed
or cancelled.

What about IV fluids? Blood pressure drops under anesthesia. That can be
fatal. IV fluids help keep the BP up. It also helps keep up body temperature
(hypothermia kills, too). They help the organs metabolize the drugs more
efficiently. Also, there is an open vein in case emercency drugs are needed.

What kind of
anesthesia? Preferably, you want sevoflurane (1st) or isoflurane (2nd) gas
anesthesia. Injectable only anesthesia isn't as safe.

Ask if they use any induction drugs, or if they gas the animals
down. We use either propofol or valium/ketamine to induce depending on
bloodwork and other potential health problems, or sometimes we gas the
animals down (depending on the situation).

Ask if they give any pain relief.

Make sure they don't use stainless steel sutures (your dog will never be
able to get an MRI if one was needed).

Often times the spays/neuters are
able to be done very cheaply because they cut corners & costs. Cheap steel
sutures, cheap anesthetics that aren't as safe, no pain relief, etc.

Is it worth saving a few bucks if it means your dog's comfort or safety?
Something to think about...

courtnek, sedation may be used before or after the surgery. before for calming the pet down to make everything else less stressful and scary (especially when x-rays are necessary for some reason), and afterward as needed to keep them quiet for a while.

drjeffrock, as far as i know, spayUSA is a separate organization that works with a network of veterinarians. not sure how much it has to do with cities or states. the site says:

[i]Spay/neuter prices can vary by region. If your prices are average (or higher) for your area, a reduction of 30% to 50% is considered reasonable for participation in the network. Some veterinarians already give discounted spay/neuter vaccination services for low-income clients, shelter animals, or strays. If you are one of these wonderful veterinarians, your prices are probably already in line with our average participating veterinarian prices. Clients pay for services at the time of their visit.[/i]

when i adopted my dog from the LA west valley shelter (chatsworth), the neutering surgery was included in the adoption fee and performed at porter pet hospital. when i had a litter of kittens that needed to be done, i took them to animal birth control on pico.

not necessarily the places i'd pick for other things, but for spay & neuter surgery i really prefer places that do a high volume so for them it's really a routine thing. i like to think they'd pick up any signs of complication very early.

i do agree with you tho, if i ever had a vet talk to me like that, i'd tell him to shove it too. :evil:

TDG, I understand the differences betwen sedation and anesthesia. When I read it, for some reason I was thinking she meant anesthesia when she said sedation. Its been a long and hard week. So forgive me if I didnt catch myself in time, before I filed the post.

courtnek, no problem. i just figured you'd want more information, after your second post,

[quote]true. I hadnt thought of that. thanks. However, if anesthetized, what would you need sedation for then?

ot is this for sedatin afterwards?[/quote]

:)

thanks TDG....I was tired. I apologize if I seemed cranky. :D

now that I think of it though, I dont remember anything about "sedation" with Freebee. There was the general anesthesia, the surgery, the stitches needing to be removed....and the overnight stay. I dont see sedation on the bill anywhere....no pain killers either, afterwards. She didnt need them, but I remember them saying I could ask for some later if necessary. So maybe it just depends on the how the dog behaves....

this was my first female. all of my males were "snip and go"...they didnt even have to stay over...