Dogomania

Pregnancy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have read everything there is to read on Starrs pregnancy and I still would like to know so much more. I found this wonderful site [url]www.debbiejensen.com[/url] on this site I was able to make a calender for Starr noting day by day what is happening to her. This is so helpful! This may sound stupid but it is like my daughter is having a baby to me. I know everything there is to birthing a human baby and I want the same for Starr. I would love to talk to people who feel the same way I do. Everyone around me either at work or at home tell me "Its just a dog Jennifer they have been having puppies for hundreds of years without human help" I feel like the more information I find out the better. IF there are any out there who can relate......let me hear from you.. thanks
Jennifer

Just 9 weeks ago today I whelped my bitch's first litter. Her pregnancy and delivery was easy...on day 62 of the pregnancy I started having blood work done to check her progestrene levels...when they drop you know you are going to have pups within 24 hours...this makes it soooo much easier than just waiting for the "signs" of denning, taking temperatures etc.
With my bitch, the breeder started her on a puppy kibble during her pregnancy and she wormed her as well. I snuck her "real" food such as raw turkey necks, liver, steamed veggies, steamed sweet potatoes, cooked chicken (free range only) etc. I really do believe this helped her have such an easy delivery...plus she was active until the day she whelped...I have 5 other dogs which I hiked with daily with my pregnant bitch.
When whelping the litter, just be there to assist...don't baby talk or try to encourage her. I have seen a few bitches get upset thinking some thing was wrong and have "held" their pups in...just have a quite area with yourself and maybe one other trusted person (trusted by mom). If a pups seems to be having a hard time even after the bitch has roughly licked the pup to stimulate it....you may have to rub it to stimulate it yourself.
My breeder friend had a nightmare with her last 2 bitches during their birthing...so not all pregnancy's and birthings go smoothe...some times they can be very difficult and possibly may require a c-section.
Once the pups are out make sure they suckle from mom to get all their immunities from the milk...you have to supervise constantly to ensure mom doesnt walk on or accidently sufficate one of the pups...this can happen very easily in a whelping box...some pups get over anxious and will crawl over mom and end up behind her and can sufficate. Don't let a who bunch of people in to see mom and pups...just have a couple of people in which your bitch feels comfortable with...kids can cause the bitch to become anxious and nervous..unless of course the children are quite and trusted by mom. With my girl the only people allowed to go in and take care of her were of course me, my sister and the breeder. My bitch would not allow any one else in the whelping room and would get very anxious and aggressive if a new person happened to come in...I wouldn't allow my girl to become stressed. During the first 3 weeks I took her for short bathroom breaks in the yard...my girl had to pee ALOT while nursing. At first they may not want to leave the pups...but, as the days go by mom will feel more comfortable leaving them....and then you have some bitches who do not make good moms at all and can't wait to get away from the pups...some of my breeder friends have bred a bitch once and never again due to her not being "motherly" some pups they had to bottle feed as mom wouldn't have any thing to do with them...they also had to clean the pups etc.

Heres and article you may find helpful:

[quote]You should have a laundry basket or a box should be available to place puppies in while the rest of the litter is born. This protects them while the bitch paces and moves around during labor. A heating pad should be placed on the bottom with a fleece pad over it. (The puppies should NEVER be placed directly on heating pads, as they may be burned.) Another 1 or 2 towels should be placed over the top of the basket to keep the heat in. The fleece and the air in the basket should feel comfortably warm to your hand. If the puppies are moving around and crying, they are too cold or too hot. If they are bobbing their heads, searching, and crying, they are hungry. They should be put with mom as soon as possible to nurse. The puppies can be placed with the bitch between births to allow them to nurse and bond, and if necessary, be put back in the basket while the next sibling arrives.

NEVER USE WOOD SHAVINGS FOR PREGNANT OR NEWBORN ANIMALS.
A large stack of soft, clean towels should be handy to help clean off puppies if necessary. Large litters may require 2-3 dozen towels. White or light colored towels will show the color of any discharge or placenta. Have a laundry basket handy to throw them in as they are used. Wash as soon after birth as possible with detergent and bleach to minimize staining of the towels.

Other supplies to have on hand include the following:
Sterile hemostats and blunt-end scissors to cut the umbilical cord, if necessary
Alcohol and matches to sterilize the hemostats and scissors (dip the instrument in the alcohol, hold downward, light with a match - do not hold upward, as the alcohol (and fire) will go down your hand)
Heavy sewing thread, dental floss, or suture (to tie umbilical cords if necessary)
Lubricating (petroleum) jelly
Several pairs of sterile surgical gloves
Rubber pediatric bulb syringe
Surgical antiseptic scrub/iodine
Tube feeder, syringe, bottle and nipple, and puppy milk replacer (such as Esbilac)
Gram or ounce scale depending on average size of newborn puppy for your breed
Stethoscope
Thermometer - rectal to monitor the bitch's temperature
Household thermometer to monitor the air temperature in the whelping box
High-quality puppy food, cottage cheese, vanilla yogurt, and/or vanilla ice cream for the bitch
Fresh water for the bitch
Regular number for veterinary clinic and the emergency veterinary clinic number
Numbers for family/friends/sitter to watch the children during delivery and, if necessary, to go to vet clinic
Whelping books
Vetwrap to wrap the tail of a long-haired bitch
Clock or watch to time the birth
Camera, film, and extra battery
Something for you to do while waiting - cards, magazines, etc.
Ink pen (and an extra) and note pad - mark the arrival time, sex, weight, color, and markings (either natural markings or id mark you apply), and if placenta was expelled
Make sure the phone cord reaches the whelping box or that the battery for the cordless phone is charged
Cot for you to sleep on
Predicting the delivery time

Average gestation is about 63 days from the date of conception, which may be different than the date(s) of breeding(s). The normal due date can be about 1 week either side of the predicted 63 days. Several changes that may be noticeable in the bitch the last week before delivery include a distended, 'dropped' abdomen, enlarged and softened vulva, enlarged nipples, and full mammary glands. Taking her temperature at least twice a day the last 10 days before the delivery date is also helpful. Some bitch's temperatures will drop below 99

Guest Anonymous

thanks for all your help. I have Starr right now on puppy food. But she gets whatever she wants. Cookies are her favorite thing in the world but since she has been pregnant she varies from day to day on whether she wants them or not. As far as the welping. I have a tent sent up in my room where it is quiet. in the tent I have some things to make her comfortable.. old blankets that she likes and a few pillows (although when the puppies are born i will take out the pillow. There is just my husband and I and our two children who are older children (teens) and starr is VERY comfortable with us all. My children and I go hiking every Saturday with both Starr and Charlie. CHarlie is a golden and LOVES to swim so we hike through woods into an area with a creek for him to swim in. I usually bring along with me little snacks for her and fresh cool water for them both. I believe I am doing everything right and according to my vet I am. I am very lucky that my vet lives 2 blocks away in case of an emergency. Thanks for responding to my post.. I love taking about my babies!!!