Dogomania

showing

kendalyn

Should organizations like the AKC or UKC allow altered dogs to be shown?  

1. 1. Should organizations like the AKC or UKC allow altered dogs to be shown?

I think pretty much all of us know that in order to show your dog, most organizations require that they remain intact to do it. This is something I don't understand. Why do they have to be intact? Can't a dog be show quality even if it doesn't have all it's "equipment"? I understand some people don't like neutering too young in case it stunts the dog's growth, but even if they did it later on I think it would be a big improvement.

I would really like to see at least the AKC remove this requirement. I hear quite a few people say that their dog has not been neutered because they "were hoping to show him/her someday". I think a lot of people say this, but never really get around to doing it and then also neglect to ever have their dog fixed. And then uh-oh, Fluffy is pregnant!

BTW, I don't mean that they should require the dogs to be altered, just that they allow altered dogs to be shown.

What do you guys think? And does anyone know why it is required that show dogs remain intact?

Some people enjoy showing dogs but they dont want to breed. If I were to ever show a dog I would do it as a hobby but I would never breed any dogs. What if you get a dog thats already altered but you wanted to show it. It could be the best dog out there but couldnt be shown because of it being fixed. Would that honestly be fair? IMO showing shouldnt just be abouting the breeding...

Anyone else feel the same?

[quote name='newfiemom']Although I see their point about why show dogs shouldn't be neutered[/quote]

What is the point? I understand the breeding thing, but who cares if someone is just showing for fun and has no plans to breed. Why not allow them to go ahead and fix their dog?

• 5 weeks later...

I read something today about this that makes sense. I read it in swedish so I can't give a direct quote (well actually I can but I doubt most of you could understand it :wink:) but the general idea of it was that showing isn't just to find dogs sutible for future breeding, but also to evaluate the breeding done to get that dog. Or something like that. Sorry I can't explain better :oops:. And if that is so then it really shouldn't matter if the dog is spayed/neutered.

At AKC Specialty show [i](a Specialty is a single breed show - not an All Breed Show)[/i]
neutered/spayed canines [b]can[/b] compete in the Veteran Dog/ Veteran Bitch class if they make the age requirement.

With most breeds its 7 yrs of age.
For A Gt. Dane its 6 yrs of age.

Personally, I think it would be nice to have a different class for altered canines with a different award system.

One of the main reasons this more than likely won't come to pass is -
I'm going to be blunt here
MANY breeders would [b]not[/b] want their pet quality dogs in the show ring as they may embarrass them.

Me, I'd love our pet kids to be out there.

I'm going to add a little bit more....

As I said I'd like if there was an Altered Class at AKC shows with a different award system.
This being said I'd like it to be open to [b]ALL[/b] color/colors/variations of the breeds.

Take an example Great Danes.
In Danes there are only 6 color variations permissable to show in AKC shows - Fawn [i](tan with black face)[/i], Brindle [i](chevron or striped)[/i], Black, Blue [i](a steel gray color)[/i], Mantle [i](a blk/wht markings that resemble a Boston Terrier)[/i] & Harlequin [i](white base coat with black torn patches)[/i]

With Danes there are several colors that are considered only pet - these include Merles [i](gray base coat with black patches)[/i], Piebald [i](White base coat with rounded spots & black on the skull of the head)[/i]

With Harlequin breedings a litter can be entirely pet marked/pet colors
leaving a breeder for nothing in the show ring.
It can be disheartening.

If these colors were allowed to show in the [b]Altered class [/b]a breeder could have some pets that they wanted shown to the world out there.

In Canada there is a sexually altered class (SAC) but you rarely see them. Usually they're only at specialties or nationals.

I think I'm going to go along the lines of allowing altered dogs, but with a different system. Different awards, no handlers etc. I think it could be a useful tool for breeders to see how their pet quality dogs are doing among other pet quality specimins. Admittedly, I can't say I have experience in tonnes of breeds, but I think if the breeders are producing pet quality dogs they are embarassed by, then they need to ask themselves why.

I think it would be great for newbies who are interested in the sport, but aren't willing to take the plunge yet with a show quality dog, but wouldn't mind trying it out with their pet. It would probably boost memberships here in Canada (though, the CKC has just been hit by a nuke).