Dogomania

Bentley goes to the park

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, it's spring break here so I decided to take the kids to the park that's a few blocks away. I thought Bentley could use the exercise and would enjoy some time out so we took him too. Well, he was a HUGE hit with the kids there. He was on best behavior and was very calm and well behaved. The only time we had a problem was when we first got there. We were the only ones there and all of a sudden this unleashed dog with no collar comes tearing out of nowhere. This dog is barking and growling at Bentley, who I'm trying to hold. Then this little boy, around 8, comes up and says she's really sweet and doesn't bite. The thing is she is terrified of Bentley, tail tucked between her legs, the whole deal. Apparently this dog had jumped the fence of their yard to follow the little boy. Thankfully his mom came along and loaded her into the car. I thought she was going to attack Bentley though. I had no idea what to do. My kids were there and Christopher, he's 4, kept trying to come between them. After it was all over I took him aside and had a talk with him. But does anyone have any suggestions how to handle a situation like this better? I just had no idea what to do. I know Bentley wouldn't have tried to hurt the other dog, I mean I could tell he was in play mode. But there are a lot of stray, or uncared for, dogs around here. I'm sure I'll face the situation again. Looking for any help. Sorry so long and thanks in advance!

We have the same problem around here with unleashed and stray dogs, and I finally learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago when I was holding a puppy class (guide dogs) in a park when someone deliberately let their vicious dog off leash at us :evil: . Long story short, I went and got a battery operated cattle prod, perfectly legal to carry in almost every state. I certainly don't want to have to use it and hurt another animal, but if it comes down to that, my own dogs safety is going to be put first, as well as my kids. If the prod is a no go, then a tatical baton or even a large stick will do.

well, here, a cattle prod used on a dog would get you arrested. HOWEVER,
pepper spray will not. It does not hurt the dog, if causes their eyes to tear excessively...all the mail carriers carry them. This would be a last resort, only if I couldnt shake the dog down with some stern commands,
but it will stop an attack...standing in front of your dog, and yelling BACK OFF!! will often get a frightened dog to do just that. they dont understand your words, just your tone of voice. do not try to touch the dog, or calm it,
just order it off.

Well it's hard to say calling animal control is the best solution, we participate every day in all kind of polls against banning all kind of breeds you know.

Fortunately the owner of that dog came to save you all, i just hope she's thinking about what happened was actually an accident caused on her fault and not because the dog was evil or something like that.

Maybe there's something to do especially in that cases (i don't know :oops: :lol: ) but i guess you'll agree with me that the best solution for this kind of things is give information to the people, so they can know so much better their dogs and how to make them socialize.

At the end, the solution of this problems is in us. :)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. I'm lucky that the little boy was able to contain the dog until his mom got there. But I would hate to think that because someone doesn't take care of their dogs mine could end up hurt. Maybe the pepper spray is the idea I'll go with. But of course only in a last resort situation. I didn't try to yell at this dog because his boy was right there with her trying to calm her down. I didn't think in this case yelling would help. But if it's a stray with no owner, I'll definetely try yelling something like back off and hopefully that would work.

Yelling has always worked for me. I usually step between my dog and the other one and say, "BACK!" really low and loud while clapping. I kind of stomp forward with my foot too. So far it has worked, but I'm sure there are dogs that wouldn't comply. If I had kids with me I would make them backup and stand behind me and the dog with strict instructions to stay back.

Good luck and hopefully it won't happen again!

with aggressive dogs pepper spray often doesnt work. there is an adrenaline compound to get past...but it will work on a fearful dog. only as a last resort, as I said, loud yelling and foot stomping usually does it.

If you spray it within 4 feet of the dog (the recommended "space") it usually will not come back to you....

Guest Anonymous

Well, like I said the pepper spray would always be the last resort. I didn't know that stomping and yelling could would with an unknown fearful dog. That's what I'll try if this happens again. But I wouldn't want my kids or dogs hurt because I didn't know what to do. Bentley can't really be controlled when he doesn't want to. But he has never shown any aggression towards another dog. But if a dog was to attack him I have no doubt he would try to defend himself. It's just that I wouldn't want to have it come down to that in the first place.