Dogomania

Therapy dog training

GIXXSTER

Is there anywhere that i can read on how to train a dog to become a therapy dog? I know there are place where I can pay to get him trained but money is alittle tight right now. I'd like to get him into working with sick children and cancer patience.

I'm still going to get him professional training but for now I'd like to get a jump start on it.

Have you checked the therapy dog association sites at all like Delta and such? It will give you an idea of what is expected and the testing that they do...

[url]www.deltasociety.org/[/url]

There is all kinds of stuff on the internet for this. If you do a search for therapy dog training you'll find all kinds of stuff but I would definately check the websites through the companies you are wanting to become certifed through for the qualifcations.

• 1 month later...

I think it is great that you want to do this. I took my Golden through a couple of classes in Marin and Sonoma County and unfortunately they did cost.
I agree that looking up information on the net is a great idea. The Delta Society has books you can buy but you should find a place that will cover your liability in case something happens. When I visit as a representitive of the Marin Humane Society I am covered under their insurance.

We visit two facilities right now, one a long term transistional housing center for people with Mental Illnesses and the other is a boys home for kids with emotional and physical problems.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

• 4 weeks later...

Therapy work is great. It's rewarding and fun and your dog should be able to be certified with basic training, excellent socialization, and a stable temperament. Contact the national organizations for details, but check out this site, which has all the info you'll need to get started: [url=http://therapydogs.net/]Therapy Dogs.Net[/url]. Good luck! :P Jan

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Ask your obedience instructor about the Canine Good Citizen information and or classes. Also depending on where you live the Delta Society may be able to help you with information on Therapy Dog Tests. I have only gone through The Delta Society Program with a cat (2nd cat in my county who passed) so I am sure the rules are different for dogs. Good luck to you and your doggie, it is a very rewarding opportunity. God Bless.Hope you'll like a site which I,m suggesting you to go through it's call wagsocial it's meant for dog training and all other queries related to dogs....