Dogomania

Mini Dauchsund, Bad Teeth, Need Advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Rusty is 14 years old (91 in dog years). His teeth weren't a problem when he was younger, but they are, now. They have a lot of tartar. During his last two teeth cleaning visits to the vet, they pulled several of his teeth. He went for a check-up yesterday. They presented my wife with a $400 estimate for cleaning. They stated that the cost will be higher if they have to pull more teeth.

Trying to clean Rusty's teeth at home is useless. He won't let me open his mouth. He barks, snarls, bites, etc. I've spread chicken-flavored toothpaste on his teeth, but that's as far as I can go. The real cleaning happens when he's under anesthesia at the vet's office.

Does $400 for cleaning sound right? They recommend cleanings more often now. Did I do something wrong? Is it just his age? Is the dental technician pricing this incorrectly?

Please help.

At Buck's vet a cleaning usually costs between $75 and $100 dollars. But so far his teeth have been healthy and haven't needed to be pulled or anything like that. If you think you might be getting ripped off, check around at other vet's offices and see what they charge. Don't forget to ask about how needing teeth pulled could affect the price.

I would expect some tooth decay in a dog as old as yours. As far as I know it is a lot more common in the small breeds as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

:angel: I use Oxyfresh dental products. They are fast and easy. I apply the pet gel with a tooth brush or my finger. I use the oral solution in drinking water or spray it in my sammies mouth. It kills odor on contact and breaks down tartar and calculus. I can't believe the results!!
Here is the link, check it out!
[/url]http://www.oxyfreshww.com/valentino/default.asp[/url][/url][/b]