Dogomania

Sad and Sick Lil Pup

Pit Retriever

We adopted Sid a week ago today, and he came home and developed a pretty bad upper respiratory infection. The vet was unable to tell us if that is what he has, so he put him on Clavamox, Terramycin (for conjunctivitis), and Robitussin. He has a yellow discharge coming from his eyes, an extremely phlegmy cough, and sneezing with a runny nose. He started on meds Saturday, but we have yet to see an improvement. Is this normal? Do puppies take a little longer to start showing improvement? His energy is up and down...he'll play hard for a while, then rest, and still eats all of his food, which I feel is a good sign, not having any GI problems. Can anyone put a worried mom's mind to ease?

After you finish the antibiotics...get some probiotics or some natural organic live bio yogurt...this is to replenish the "good" bacteria in the gut...when you give anitbiotics they kill all the bacteria....good & bad...this is the reason I would do this. :wink:
With your little pup you might want to boost his immunity after this bout is over, I have used Astragalus in the past to boost my sickly rescue dogs...I also use it myself during flu and cold season...I havent suffered from either since taking this supplement...I used to be very prone to bronchitis. I don't know what you are currently feeding you pup...you may have him on a good holistic dog food already...if not, slowly change your pup over to a good dog food...I use Solid Gold and Wellness...some people like Arthemis, Campbells Chicken soup etc. I like to know what is going into my dogs system... :wink:

We came from the vet today. We got a clean bill of health! I will look into the probiotics and the yogurt. We do not have any natural food stores that I know of close by, so I'll do some research tonight.

We are currently feeding him Natural Balance. I had him on Purina One, simply out of not knowing, but this forum has really helped me out! He switched over with no problem. I'm just glad he is getting great food.

When we adopted him he was a skinny 7 lb. At the vet today (1 week later) he weighed 13 lb! The good news is that I have turned a lot of people in my work and social circles to adopting or rescuing pets. It's a great feeling, and if I could afford it, I would have taken them all home!