Dogomania

Silver labs....?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[img]http://www.anypet.com/dog/images/sssilverlabs2.jpg[/img]
I really like the look, but I get really nervous around "rare" dogs. to me rare translates to:
1. heavy inbreeding...not the good line breeding either, im talking mom to son dad to daughter direct inbreeding
2. vet bills.. all of that inbreeding leads to all kinds of genetic defects and dogs are proned to illnesses
3. a population explosion... people spend all of this money to get one and they have every intention of breeding it like crazy to make thier money back. the dogs suffer and the entire breed feels the repricussions.

I think they are part Wiem. Hands down. You can't always judge a dogs genetics by just looking at them. I don't like that this person is charging more for a dog that isn't even registerable under the discription he is giving and selling under.

[quote]An AKC representative was sent to observe these dogs. The report and color photographs of these dogs were reviewed by AKC staff and representatives of the Labrador Retriever Club of America. Both Parties were satisfied that there was no reason to doubt that the dogs were purebred Labrador Retrievers, however they felt that the dogs were incorrectly registered as silver. Since the breed standard at the time described chocolate as ranging in shade form sedge to chocolate, it was felt that the dogs could more accurately be described as chocolate rather than silver. This remains the current policy of the American Kennel Club.[/quote]

It's really hard to keep a "purebred" with the same physical conformation and colors...odd colors will pop up...when you think about it...our purebreds are the result of crossbreeding in the first place...if any breed or race or dog used to make the current breed had different colors...then it can pop out later. I have seen all kinds of odd colored purebreds...its really difficult to keep our crossbred purebreds in the same physical conformation and try to keep the same colors for along time...when man was orginally creating a breed..he choose colors which best suited the breed at that time...any other colored dogs where killed...breeders up until about 15 years ago used to destroy odd colored dogs..."reputable" breeders can be very anal at times...I have heard of breeders killing cream or brown or grey Newfoundland dogs, killing blue merle Great Danes, patchy dalmations, all white boxers (of course they do come with alot of health issues) ...
Recently the AKC has started to allow these different colors for the Newf's in the show ring...they still are not recognised colors in Canada and you cannot show them...so, if Newf's come in gray...why not Lab's....
I agree with RottnPit...although to a certain extent most of our purebred dogs do have alot of inbreeding in them...when you start out with a small gene pool theres really no other way to go but to inbreed...then when you have breeders all wanting to breed to the champion dogs inbreeding takes place that much faster.
I would guess that if the silver Lab's keep appearing they will become a recognised color. I don't think its right to label them as being "rare" and charge a big price for them...now, that is silly.