Dogomania

Americans and dog crates.

Guida

Guest Anonymous

Sash, DrJeff-So funny! :D

First off, something you need to know about dogs... They are naturally den animals. Many find comfort in crates, and, I think when a dog has a problem sitting in a crate it has a dominance problem (sometimes!).
I have never understood why people find crates bad. I would much rather have my dog in a crate than come home to a dead dog. Dogs are dogs and they do get into things they shouldnt, and some of those things can kill your dog.
Those of us with APBTs HAVE to crate our dogs. If we dont, we may come home to a dead dog, for different reasons.
You may think I am cruel for crating my indoor dogs but I think you are cruel for allowing your young pup to be free to roam the house. There are several more was he can get hurt outside the crate than in it.
Oh, and dont be suprised if you end up with dominance issues. A dog that has free roam of the house has more of a chance of having dominance issues over one that knows his boundaries.

I agree strongly with Rott-N-Pit, as it is something I love to say as well.
[color=red]READ A BOOK[/color]! You will be suprised at how much better a dog owner you will become.
Knowledge is everything. Assumption is ignorance.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

I have 3 big dogs..2 can be crated but 1 cannot. I feel if they can't stand up and turn around in the largest crate they make..then you shouldn't crate the animal over an hour or so...everyone deserves to stretch and move about. So, that being said I also do not let this same animal run loose in the house while I am gone...well if I just run to the store yes, but not while I go shopping or to work and such. I just take everything up off the bathroom floor, put the toilet paper in teh cabinet (I removed the holder), and close the linen closet door. I don't have anything sitting on the counters..so he can't get into anything...I even had glass doors installed so there was no shower curtain. The bathroom isn't large though..it's my guest bathroom. So it's not "much" larger then a crate(this is in relation to his size mind you and the florr plan of the room)...but large enough he can move around a bit.

Animals do not need to rome about freely in your house unattended. What if you had an artificial plant and your dog ate one/some of the leaves and it got stuck in it's intestinal tract? What if you were sewing and left a needle and thread stuck in the arm of the couch and your dog started playing with it, got it loose, and either stuck itself in the eye or swallowed it and it too got stuck in the intestines(thread will wind around the intestiens and kill it..your dog will die from this)? What if you had some chocolates someone had given you sitting on the kitchen counter and the dog ate them and got sick? The what if's are endless...your dogs life is not.

Would you leave a 3-5yr old alone at home to run about all day alone..no certainly not..well even the oldest dog has the same mentality of a 3-4 yr old...ALL it's life.
Something to seriously think about.

Crates are a tool, as like any other tool, can be useful if used correctly and cruel if used incorrectly. As with any other tool, the repsonsibility lies with the owners to educate themselves on proper use. It's also an individual choice as to whether to use a particular tool or not, not a choice to be made by one person to fit all cases.

Guest Anonymous

We I must admit when I first heard of people crating their dogs while they went to work - I thought it was cruel. I know I am at work 8 to 9 hours a day and that would be far too long to have any dog in a crate. But I don't think crating is not a common practice in Australia.

We have rotties and a GSD pup and they all have free access to the garage, carport and back patio (where they sleep) as well as the back yard. My partner works at night and I work during the day so there is usually someone home 24 hours a day.

We don't allow the dogs inside (unless it is a special treat and only after they have had their bath) and they are quite happy with that. I don't think our house would survive having 5 rotties (ranging from 55kg to 70kg) and a 49kg GSD pup running around inside full-tme.

Oh come on folks, this is getting very disrespectful. Guida is [i]not [/i]a troll. Respect her please instead of jumping to conclusions. If she has questions, then lets answer them for her in a mature and respectful fashion, and not label her. She is from Portugal and as I say some countries in Europe do not use cages/crates to the same extent as other parts of the world. Bear in mind please there are culture changes, but everyone should respect her opinion, if after she has been told the uses of cages, and her mind is still decisive. Everyone is entitled to give their honest opinion. I am against choke chains and prongs etc, and here in the UK they are not used to the same extent as in USA. Fair enough some people use them. I don't agree but I am not about to start telling them how to train their dog, unless they are inside our dog club where such collars are banned. I hope you see my point with regards to this user.

[quote name='Kat']Oh come on folks, this is getting very disrespectful. Guida is [i]not [/i]a troll. Respect her please instead of jumping to conclusions. If she has questions, then lets answer them for her in a mature and respectful fashion, and not label her[/quote]

But SHE isn't being respectful either- saying people who use crate have sad dogs, calling them "mini jails", etc. is [u]not[/u] respectful. There are ways to state your oppinion and ask questions without bashing a method that many use and find helpfull. I think that if she had been a bit more polite and less judgemental in her first post no one would have gotten defensive. :)

I don't use a crate, but a playpen which is basicly the same but a little bigger. It is and has been such a huge help with my dog. He gets into mischef all the time and I would be very worried about him when I'm not home if I knew he wasn't safe in his playpen. Even when I'm home I want to know where he is and what he's doing. Usually thats not hard because he is often near me or my mom. But even so he has gotten into several potentially dangerous situations, for example when he jumped up on the counter and got a turkey bone, another time it was a piece of fudge, my cell phone which was on, and once he knocked down a knife. If that had happened when no one was home I don't want to think what could have hapened to him. With him enclosed I don't have to worry, because there is no way for him to hurt himself when he is in that area.

The playpen is also great when I need to do something and he's in the way. I have guinea pigs and they need to run free on the floor every day. Sure, I can close him out of my room. But he [i]hates[/i] that. Instead he can be in the playpen and watch them, be part of things, but still in an enclosure so the cavies are safe. When I clean having him in it is very practicle too.

Web was pretty much housetrained when I got him, but my aunt has a dog who wasn't. That dog has [i]never[/i] soiled her crate. She loves it too. If used right crates are fantastic things.

Guest Anonymous

I actually see it the other way around. I don't crate my dogs for safety reasons......if something happens like a fire or anything else, they will be able to go to the window and bark and let people know that they need help. I actually have a dog door and I feel very bad when I have to close it and leave them locked in the house. A friend of mine lost his cat because of a fire.
I do believe that crates are a great way to train a puppy and many dogs feel like it is a safe place to go to. I just prefer my dogs to see the entire house as the safe place. But as long as dogs get their walks and excersice it may be the safe way to go when you have multiple dogs. And I don't care if they are all Pits or Rotties. Any breed can be good or bad!!!

Guest Anonymous

Our local fire department supplied me with 2 stickers, one for my front door and one for my back door, that alerts them that I have animals in the house. It states how many of each type animal I have.

To your question.

My parents are retired and I only came home on weekends (if I can).
They are very active persons and Snoopy goes with them every where.
They live near the coast and he goes for walks on the sand every day. There is a small beach that is perfect for him because it's desert and he can run and play without a leach.

He loves car rides and in the Summer I just know he is going to love boat rides (let's just hope he does not jump in to the water to chase seaguls like my firt dog did)

About the crate...
- Ok!, I give up....
- I guess that it's a cultural thing.
- I still do not agree with it but I live in a Democracy, I have to respect all opinions.
- To all americans: you do not live in a Democracy, but I guess a Demo Liberal Regime as the same rights and liberties.

[img]http://doggroups.com/community/images/smiles/anidog6.gif[/img]
Guida

Guest Anonymous

You know I've tried very hard to be respectful during this entire post but that last little bit has me fed up. You know it you don't like America or Americans that's fine. But I happen to be American and am darn proud of it. Don't come to a board intended to be used to talk about your dog and start bashing my country. I don't appreciate it. If I'm the only one offended by your comment then more power to you. I just think you need to show a little more respect.

No, you're not the only one offended by her comments.

Guida, I don't know what you think America's system of government is like and I don't know what you mean by a demo liberal regime. My guess is you don't either and used the phrase intending it to be inflamatory. For further information, America is a constitution based federal republic with a strong democratic tradition.

Also, I don't think it is only a cultural thing because people from other countries have posted that they have used crates. Go back and read the posts.

[quote name='Guida']
To all americans: you do not live in a Democracy, but I guess a Demo Liberal Regime as the same rights and liberties.
[img]http://doggroups.com/community/images/smiles/anidog6.gif[/img]
Guida[/quote]
C'mon guys dont get all worked up over this. No doubt, this person is just trolling, trying to get our blood boiling. A demo liberal regime, lol. Thats a new one. FYI Guido, we are a republic. Before you try to piss people off, I suggest you educate yourself and maybe try to make a point that has some type of validity to it.

Who is the ignorant?

Don't you now the name of your own political regime?

The North American political regime is called Demo Liberal or Liberal Democracy in oposition to the type of Democracy that exists in Europe.

Crist! Didn't you went to school? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Guida

America's official form of government is a federal REPUBLIC!! Check this website: [url]http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html[/url]

I think the CIA world factbook is a credible source of information. And I think being an American I know my own country's system of government.

Liberal Democracy is a phrase often used to describe Western democratic political systems, such as Australia, the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Canada and other nations.

Liberal democracy is frequently used to describe the political philosophy of America.

Look as this article:

"On March 16, 2001, the Library of Congress, in cooperation with the James Madison Commemoration Commission, will host a symposium to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of James Madison, the nation's fourth president. It is being cosponsored by the Henry Salvatori Center at Claremont McKenna College in Claremont, California and will be chaired by Charles Kesler of Claremont McKenna College.

The symposium, James Madison: Philosopher and Practitioner of Liberal Democracy, will explore the thought and character of James Madison as well as his many significant contributions to the nation's history, such as his defense of religious liberty; his role as architect and principal defender of the Constitution of the United States; his introduction of the legislation that produced the Bill of Rights; and his service as secretary of state in 1801-1809, and as president of the United States from 1809 to 1817. The all-day symposium, which will be held in Room 119 of the Thomas Jefferson Building, is open to the public without charge or advance reservation"

Do you think your president was a liar???

Guida

OK, that's a pretty obscure reference. An advertisement for a symposium? Also, James Madison was the 4th president of the United States. He was in office over one hundred years ago, so that term may be dated.

If America, Australia, the United States, Britain, New Zealand, Canada and other nations are all "liberal democracies" than can't you lump Portugal in there as well? How is it any different? It sounds like it is a very broad term.

So I suppose we are both right. It's the same thing as calling a Greyhound a dog. It is a dog but more specifically it is a greyhound. Do you Understand? Broadly I suppose America could be referred to as a liberal democracy but more accurately it is a Federal Republic.

I've never heard the term liberal democracy though.

I can't promise this will be my last response to this thread, but I hope it is. I have problems keeping my mouth shut.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='"Guida"']Crist! Didn't you went to school?
Um, don't you mean...Christ, didn't you go to school?

We went..you should go back. :thumbsup: [img]http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/weakestlink.sml.gif[/img]

Jesus, who comes to a dog board to try and argue polictics? Much less with someone from the country your arguing about..when you're not even from here? Arguing over keeping a dog in a crate for 4-6 hours I can see, but this...get over it already.[img]http://jm.g.free.fr/smileys/ic28.gif[/img]

Hey Sexxie, did you read the rules to this forum at all? Here is a refresher:[url]http://forum.dogomania.com/viewtopic.php?t=4820[/url]

Pay special attention to this one:
5) We don’t have spell check in this group and we have not assigned anyone to the task. Insulting another member because of spelling or [color=red] grammar [/color] is not going to be allowed. We have members that translate into English as best they can. We also have children/young adults here who are still learning how to spell. Be considerate of this.

I have seen you make spelling mistakes, and nobody has taken you to task for it. Perhaps you should extend the same courtesy?

But I agree, arguing politics is kind of silly on a dog board. :-?