Dogomania

II

Guida

Guest Anonymous

Its a lurcher puppy, i wouldn't say collie or GSD more like terrier and greyhound possibly the mother was a lurcher a the father a terrier or vice versa. i would definatley say lurcher though which are lovely affectionate dogs!

Guest Mutts4Me

Guida,

He's getting big! He doesn't looks quite as much like a German Shepherd as he used to, but I think he probably still has some in him. Also looks like some terrier, too.

There's really no way you're ever going to find out what he is, because mutts all look different... even two mutts of the same cross can look very different! Your pup is probably not a pure cross, meaning his parents were probably not two purebreds, but they were probably mutts themselves, so who knows?

qwerty - Lurchers are pretty centralized in the England/Ireland area of the UK, aren't they? I just read in another thread that Guida's in Portugal, so I don't think there would be too many lurchers around. Though lurchers, from my understanding, are mutts themselves, so if the dog happened to be a mix of two breeds that could make a lurcher, then I suppose you could call it a lurcher, but probably not an intentional one... so I don't know if it'd still be a "lurcher," really... if that makes sense?

About me being in Portugal.

I live in Algarve in the south of Portugal.

There are many tourists here,some live here all year long. And many have dogs they brought from their home countrys.

That means that Snoopy could have any race in the world in his mix.

[img]http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=4dfc2581-1250-5d85-312e-414d60e52352&size=lg[/img]

Guida

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='Guida']There are many tourists here,some live here all year long. And many have dogs they brought from their home countrys.

That means that Snoopy could have any race in the world in his mix.[/quote]

I don't doubt it. I wouldn't try to rule out any breed because of where in the world the dog is located. My point in bringing up that you live in Portugal was merely that even if Snoopy was a greyhound/terrier mix (which I don't think he is, as I don't see any greyhound in him), it wouldn't make him a "lurcher." Lurchers are mixes bred for specific purpose, and so I don't think an accidental sighthound cross could be termed a lurcher. We have plenty of sighthound mixes in the US, but we don't have lurchers.

I also don't see how someone could definitely identify any puppy as a lurcher, because lurchers don't look one particular way. A lurcher can be a greyhound/pit bull, or a whippet/terrier, or a saluki/collie, and multiple other combinations, it depends on what the breeder wants to use it for.

We'll never be able to tell you what your puppy has in him for sure, but keep bringing back pictures as he gets older, and as he matures, someone may have more of an idea.

Guest Mutts4Me

I wouldn't call a Lurcher a designer dog. They were bred for a purpose, and still are. When we say designer dogs on this forum, we're talking about new mixes that are created for the sole purpose of making a quick buck off of often unhealthy dogs in unhealthy conditions.

In the 16th Century, there were plenty of mongrels, aka mutts, but not designer dogs (bred for looks over purpose). There also wasn't a huge overpopulation problem where millions of pets were being killed yearly due to lack of space.

So Lurchers are like what is done in Portugal by hunters.

Hunters here mix Podendo with Beagle to get the perfect hunting dog, but they know it only works once, so they only mix pure breed dogs.

The diference is that Lurchers can be breed.

Guida

• 1 month later...