Dogomania

Have you read this book?

dogsgalore

Has anyone read the dog stories by Albert Payson Terhune or heard of them? They are old, written around 1920's and '30's or so but good reading. They are based on the authors own dogs, Rough Collies, but the stories are fictional. Here on the Internet I looked up the authors name and came up with some of his true 'stories' about his dogs. They were amazing dogs and devoted to him and his wife. Very heartwarming to read some of the stories. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

Guest Mutts4Me

Ah yes, Lad, Gray Dawn, Wolf, and the gang. I think I read them all, a long time ago when I was in middle school. Collies have always been my passion, and oh did I love those collies :)

"Lad, a Dog" was a favorite movie of mine, and I was so excited to find that he continued to live on through numerous other books! I always remember with a warm feeling Lad being entered into a dog show on a whim, and finding all the other collies looked completely different than the grand old fashioned Lad. And Lad being ushered into a corner instantly, the embaressment, the surprising blue ribbon at the end, and the revelation that the collie judge was an old Scotsman who knew a true collie when he saw one...

LOL, that scene is so much like the one in "The Bar Sinister" that I was talking about in another thread, except that that was a Bull Terrier, and - unknown to the judges - not a pure one at that ;)

Laurel, the shy, timid, scared-of-her-own-shadow dog went ballistic tonight. She was running back and forth between the back door and the living room, never making a sound but not settled like usual. I let her out three times, she came back in and still paced and ran...She even ran right up to my son (who scares her) and nudged and griped and GRABBED HIS FOOT!!! She has NEVER done anything like this...he yelled at her for it, and she didnt budge..also very unusual...she didnt bite, but did put her teeth on his foot and PULLED!!! Like "Get UP!!" He yelled again, she came to me and whined and paced...I put her on her leash and took her outside..this whole time Freebee was antsy and pacing, but not making any noise...not growling or showing any fear, just nervous, also not like her... I walked Laurel around the whole property, found that the garage door was open and closed and locked it. Nothing appears to be missing. I know their noses are better than most other dogs, but in a closed house with no windows open? Could she have smelled something through that?

(she's a Foxhound by the way, for anyone who didnt know) I am uneasy now...I dont know what caused her to react, Kyle may have left the garage door open, and it wouldnt be the first time...she is all settled in now and sleeping...her rounds around the house settled her...but WHAT set her off?

and WHAT made her approach my son and NOT be afraid? I am SOOO not good with a fearful dog....

:o :o :o :o

Aside from Lad, Grey Dawn was my favourite. I love blue merle collies, they are beautiful, but so are all collies. The story of Treve was very amusing, too. :D Did you know you can see pictures of the actual dogs, Mutts4me? Here is a website with pictures of some of the dogs:

[url]http://www.sunnybankcollies.us/collies_index.htm[/url]

Guest Anonymous

Never heard of them but now I want to read them! :lol: I'm not even a big collie fan...
Mutts - you should be in advertising, you got me intreaged (sp?) :lol: :lol:

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='HazelNutMeg']Never heard of them but now I want to read them! :lol: I'm not even a big collie fan...
Mutts - you should be in advertising, you got me intreaged (sp?) :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Lol :) I want to be.

I have an English degree (the key to writing that many English papers is to make the prof interested in your paper, so it doesn't blur with the rest of them), and what I'd really like to do is write for a non-profit organization, or at least a [i]cause[/i] of some sort, and make people interested so they'll want to help. I bet I could write something really nice to make people donate to some neglected lions and tigers and bears... Sigh. (umm, that was a tangent. I'll explain further in the NDR forum :))