Dogomania

dummies at the dog park

vstardragon

I haven't posted for a loooong time but just wanted to say somethinge about something that happened the other day.........Stupid people suck!! I took Dante (my 1 year old pit) to the dog park and he was playing around and having a good time with the other dogs.....not with people....he still won't let people touch him....the only way a stranger can pet him is if Dante approaches that person, but if the person tries approaching Dante he will bark at them. Anyways, the dogs were playing when I noticed a pack of dogs were running around all over the place and in the lead was a miniature italian grey hound. He was fast as hell but after a minute or two a VERY arge Rottweiler caught him and all you heard was some horrific yelping. I'm not sure what happened to the greyhound health wise. The owner of the rott was nearby and got his dog and the owner of the grey hound picked his up and carried it to his car with it yelping and crying the whole time and left. I didn't get a good look at the grey hound so i don't know if it broke anything or not. Anyways......At this dog park there is a seperate pen for small dogs so they can play together and the big dogs can play together. I feel bad for the grey hound but he shouldn't have been in the area for the big dogs in the first place. When big dogs play, they play rough and that's just not a place for small dogs to be. And if anyone hasn't noticed...these little dogs are also about the same size as the dog toys that the bigger dogs play with. Oh well, just felt like venting. I can't really place much blame on the rott owner because the dog didn't appear viscious, he didn't show any aggression toward any people or other dogs and didn't let go of the little grey hound when he was told, but he was playing and probably doesn't realize that he can't play with a little dog that rough. Anyways, hopefully that litlle Grey hound is ok, bc he sounded pretty bad when he was taken out of the park.

[quote name='vstardragon']I can't really place much blame on the rott owner because the dog didn't appear viscious, he didn't show any aggression toward any people or other dogs and didn't let go of the little grey hound when he was told, but he was playing and probably doesn't realize that he can't play with a little dog that rough.[/quote]
Well, I dont want to preach, but I have heard this a million times. "Well, he has never been aggressive with other dogs, etc." IMHO, you are rolling the dice when you let dog-aggressive breeds play in parks off-leash. Just cause they have always been friendly, doesnt mean that something wont happen in the future. I hope the greyhound is ok, and it isnt serious. I would love to see some pics of your pittie if you have any ! :D

the rottie may actually have meant no harm at all. the differences between the two is more than 100 lbs....he could have just stepped on the
poor little thing and hurt it badly...The owner should have had his dog in the small dog park. I wouldnt get a Beagle because I was afraid Freebee would trounce on it, and IG's are MUCH smaller than Beagles...I hope the poor little guy is ok....

My CAT is bigger than most IG's....

There are alot of Rottweiler's which are dog aggressive...and there are alot of Rotties which would easily mistake a small fast moving dog as prey. My Rottweiler would, and a few of my friends who own Rottweilers have actually had the same problem. One friend has all of her obedience titles on her Rottie's, participates in agility and has a Canine good citizen on each of her Rotties..she still has to be very careful around quick moving small dogs...if they are slow moving etc. the dogs are fine...but, let that little dog dart past and the Rottie goes into stalk mode...it's a whole different ball game.
My Rottie does the same thing...when I have to walk past a small yipping dog she does not act the same with them as with a larger dog...she actually starts salivating and her head goes slightly down...she is going into stalk mode...this is a behaviour I am very familiar with when it comes to my Rottie...unfortunately.
Even with my other dogs in my house hold...when I take my dogs for hikes (we go to remote areas) I am able to let my dogs run off lead. My dogs all play well together...until one of the dogs gets too far away and has to gallop back to me...my Rottie will stand there, put her head down slightly and then go into attack mode while the other dog is running...it really freaks my other dogs out and they usually come to a dead stop and freeze when they see her go into eye stalk mode. She has never seriously hurt the other dog...but, she will jump them and grab them by the legs or neck and put them to the ground...my older Newf's really didn't know how to handle this behaviour and it still makes them uneasy at times...now, with my youngest female Newf which I took in at only 8 months old (youngest dog I've had for awhile! :lol: ) she learned this awful behaviour from my Rottie and she will eye stalk and chase the other dogs and even the Rottie when they are running around...when she does it to my Rottie it's quite funny as they both start eye stalking each other across the beach...then run towards each other and attack...I'm not worried about them and after these displays (they are mainly done in fun) they play well with each other...but, if this was a strange dog that my Rottie happened to stalk and attack...then it would be a whole different story...if the dog tried to run away from her...I believe some serious harm would come to that other dog.....it's not a bad behaviour...it is a behaviour which would have served the Rottweiler very well when it was orginally bred to drove cattle....they had to be much more aggressive than a border collie or other herding dogs to keep the cattle going....they were also bred to bite at the hocks of the cattle....this drive is poorly misunderstood by many pet owners....and it is a drive which can be slight in some Rotties and very deeply ingrained in others.

It's the same with my mixed breed dog, Zheelah. She only does it when she's playing with the other dog and its all in fun. When the mixed breed, Beta, sees another dog she doesn't stalk like that, she puts her tail up, ears up, hackles up, she's a dominant dog when it comes to other dogs. She is a quarter Rottweiler.

Guest Anonymous

We have a smalllish off-lead area nearby - it is long and narrow. At our off-lead area there is a social group that meet in the early evening (I usually avoid this time as there is 30+ dogs) where they all know each other etc. Outside of these times most people approach the dog owner who are already in the park to double check before bringing their dogs in (particularly if they are unknown dogs). We have some dogs in the area who have hip or elbow problems so the owners don't let them play rough with some dogs for fear of them being hurt, other dogs don't get along with all dogs so the owner take them outside of the normal social times.

When I take my very large GSD pup to the off lead area (usually at the end of his walk) I usually wait until no-one is in the park or there is only one or two bigger dogs. One day I was in the park (we where by ourselves) when a guy brought a very small pup into the park and just let it go.

When I tried to explain to the guy it is not a good idea to let such a small pup off-lead in the park with unknown dogs without first checking out the other dog/s in the park first (eg talk to the owners first). The guy said he has been down the park before and never had a problem and that if my dog was dangerous it shouldn't be in the park.

I tried to explain to him my dog wasn't dangerous but he plays rough and he may have hurt this small pup. (Putting this small pup with my pup was like putting a baby in the middle of a football match.) I tried to explain that I wasn't saying that he couldn't use the off-lead area but had I known he was coming in I would have put my dog on-lead and left. He couldn't see that by doing what he did - he was endangering the life of his dog.

I always make a point of talking to the owners over the fence and introducing my boys to unknown dogs through the fence before I let them play together.