Dogomania

Finding a good breeder

Guest Anonymous

So far, within the answers I've received, many have said to ask the breeder for references. After all, the breeder SHOULD ask you for references, why not ask them for some as well. Granted if this is their very first litter ever, speaking with prior puppy buyers is not a possibility.
If they have bred more than a couple litters, ask for the names and email addresses of 10 people who have purchased a puppy from them. If you know that someone has sold that person a dog, try to find out if they feel that the dog went to a good place and is in good hands.
There is also the truth in paying attention to your 'gut' feeling about this breeder. Is the breeder open and honest with you regarding the health of their dogs, any potential hereditary diseases in the breed, and if there is anything they would like to improve upon in their breeding program. Look to see how the breeder interacts with his/her dogs.
Also, the breeder should ask you many questions, as above, ask you for references and generally exhibit concern over who will be getting puppies. After all, if they do not care where the babies go, they probably did not care from whence they came. In other words, if they do not do what they can to insure their puppies go to the best new homes, they probably did not come from the best background.
VERIFY any claims regarding health checks and titles.
Hope this helps answer your question, if I get any other responses, I will update here.

Carol's response was excellent! Also, if this is not the first litter, you can check with the AKC for that breed to see if anyone has complained.

A friend at work bought a Golden puppy from a "reputable breeder" (she didnt check references - she was directed there by someone else) who ended up with worms, mange, and and a colon infection. worms are to be expected, but not the other stuff. I had her call the AKC and it turns out this "breeder" had been reported before. She got the breeder to pay all the medical bills because of it. Now in my opinion this wouldnt have happened had she checked first, but either way, this breeder should not be selling dogs.

Good luck!!

:D