Dogomania

Spay and Neuter Bill in Oklahoma

kendalyn

I'm sorry that u feel that way Kiger. :( I really don't know what else to say, a lot of people that work in rescue just get heated on this topic because it is very hard to watch good dogs being put down simply because no one wants them. And I don't think anyone is saying that's u're fault.

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm very sorry to anyone who feels that this breed is anti-purebred.

When I first came to this forum, before I even registered, I thought this forum was mostly all breeders and showers. I almost didn't register because I didn't think I'd fit in. The problem was, I was reading one of the many designer dog threads, and people kept saying things about mutts that led me to think the board didn't like mutts. It took me a while, but I realized the problem was not with mutts themselves, but with the breeding of mutts. And that I agreed with. And after lurking a bit longer, I registered, and I'm happy I did.

I'm not saying the same thing is happening here, but sometimes things are not what they appear to be. For instance, a deep love and appreciation for mutts does not equal a dislike for purebreds, and a general disagreement with breeding does not mean a hatred towards any and all breeders. We have had some members come through that speak out against breeding dogs for any reason, but I think that most members of this forum have respect for all dogs, and most outlets involving dogs, be it showing, working, sporting, agility, service, or simple companionship.

People who rescue their dogs from death row are to be commended, but so are the the people to take the time, effort, and money to preserve their chosen breed/s of dog. Everyone has their favorite kind/s of dog, and I'm sure they'd hate to see it disappear into messed up versions offered up by BYBs and people who don't care. There needs to be the purebred people who keep these dogs safe from genetic catastrophy. One day I would love very much to have an Akita, and I don't want something that pretty much looks like an Akita but has major mental issues and ends up with 10 different diseases.

So I say YAY for all the responsible purebred showers and breeders. And YAY to all the people who buy their puppies, because those responsible breeders need to be supported, and their stock needs to be carried on in a responsible manner. And congratulations to all the purebred owners who bought responsibly, because you knew what you wanted and you got it. Everyone deserves that.

I'm very sincere in everything I say. I came here being pretty close to anti-breeding, but after meeting so many show people and hearing their sides, I've changed my views to what I stated above. But all of that won't stop me from being opposed to most breeding, because most breeding is irresponsible. I don't have stats, but I'm willing to make a guess and say that for every good breeder, there are several bad ones, and those bad ones need to be stopped. In a perfect world, we'd be able to stop them without accidentally hurting some of the good ones on the way, but it's not a perfect world. So I do support some limits being placed on the breeding of dogs, and I apologize if that offends some breeders or those who support it.

[quote]I tend to agree but you have to be realistic. Some people want a purebred dog for a number of reasons.[/quote]

and I will go with that. Personally, I prefer to rescue, mutts. mixed breeds, heinz 57, I dont care. Thats a personal choice, and no one has the right to say that my choice is better than someone who wants a purebred dog. I have had both. People who dont know dogs, dont know how to train, tend to want a purebred because the AKC says this is what their personality will be. Most of the purebred rescues are because that statement is basically untrue. You CANT determine a dogs personality by breed, not 100%.
No more than you can say a certain race of people is more prone to some actions than others. It all depends on the upbringing, the environment, the non-adjustable factors of individuals. Dogs are JUST as individual as people, each one needds to be treated, and raised, differently.

I have a Lab mix..the PERFECT dog..likes children, obeys well, loyal, loving, etc......NOT!!!

she DOES NOT like small children, they send her into a self protective frenzy. She DOES NOT like strangers, and wont allow them to touch her or come close..She does NOT LIKE ANYONE SHE DOESNT KNOW..she's a GREAT guard dog, but NOT typical of a Lab...

but the AKC will tell you that Labs are "great dogs with everyone"...
Her crossbreed is a German Shorthair Pointer, also supposed to be good with everyone.. SHE ISNT...

you have to take each dog as an individual, not by AKC, or anyone elses
standards....

I apologize Black GSD, Kiger and Kiwi if you feel that way. Personally, that's not how I feel at all. As I have said often before, I dont think mutts/mixes/heinz 57's are BETTER dogs than purebreds. I dont think the show/trial/breeding purebreds are bad dogs....I dont think people should stop breeding for the type of dogs they want. I DO think there should be some controls in place to stop the BYB's, the unscrupulous and the greedy.
I think all breeders should be licensed, and have thought that for a long time. The licensing fee should be determined by the size of the kennel, so the smaller breeders dont have to pay as much as the larger breeders.
I also agree with the neutering laws, not just for purebreds, but for ALL dogs. Unless you are a licensed breeder, going to field trial or show, the dog should be neutered/spayed. Please, explain to me how this comes out that I am anti-purebred? Looking at the big picture, do you not think this would help cut down on the number of "oops" dogs that end up in shelters? Not all of them, obviously. People dump purebreds for stupid reasons as well. But if we can even reduce the number of unwanted dogs, would that not be a good thing?

:fadein: :fadein:

Guest Mutts4Me

You know what? As I've said several times in the past few days, this is really making me sad.

There is a major problem here if such a big riff exists between members. If all the show people here feel that this board is Anti-Purebred, then we need to work this out. I feel that the problem is not being properly addressed because the Subject Title doesn't exactly describe where this thread has gone.

So what I'm going to do is try to piece together an initial post to a thread in the debate forum (it may take a while), and I hope more people can discuss what's going on here. I'm a major pacifist, and I hate confrontation, so I'm not trying to instigate anything. I do however believe in open communication, and I'd like to know how many members also feel this board is Anti-Purebred, and we can see what can be done about working out this problem.

I'll post a link here when I complete my task, and I hope we can work on it some more.

thank you very much Mutts...I am NOT, and never have been, anti-purebred. I own both a purebred and a mutt....

I was talking specifically from licensing, and what in the real world would be beter to stop all the dumping of dogs that "didnt work out..." too many of them, both purebred and mutt...

thank you...

for caring...

:angel:

• 10 months later...
Guest Anonymous

i dont think these are right. i raise ukc registered blue ticks an english an there is just no way that im going to pay no $1000 dollars to get a licsence.that should be for the puppy mills. :drinking: :evilbat: