Dogomania

has any of you a barbet?

briards

This is interesting. I was just reading another article on the history of the Standard Poodle and came across this snippet. Could it be that Barbet and Standard Poodles are closely related?
[quote]German writings from the sixteenth century describe the Pudel as a fairly large black water retriever. In the 1600's the Water Dog was begun to be called a Pudel.

The dog was also found in Belgium and Holland as a working dog called the Poedel. Most likely, the English name Poodle, descends from these terms.

[i]The French have long claimed the Poodle as their own. The dogs found a devoted following in France. First known as the [u]Barbet[/u], a term that means beard, and is used to describe any dog with long hair, and later called the Caniche, meaning duck dog.[/i][/quote]

I just found it interesting when I read this post and then came across that on a Poodle site. It's the first I've heard of Barbet (that I'm aware of... unless it just didn't "stick" before).

might be :) sorry I don't know much about poodles..but remember that barbet comes from other water dogs that have never been classified as a breed (everything comes from something and is related..) so it might be barbet or some other water dog , there are many water dog breeds