Dogomania

Salt and snow. . .

ferky1

As an extension of Samsmama's post about protecting her doggy's pads in the cold weather, I was wondering about the use of salt to melt snow and ice on roads and driveways.

We have no choice but to walk Miles on salted roads and sidewalks, and when we do, I always make sure that I wash his paws off when we come in and that he doesn't start licking them. So far I haven't noticed any cracking or irritation, but I am keeping a close eye on him.

As this is our first winter with a dog, I stopped using any salt on our driveway and steps; this is simply not going to work. Someone is going to kill themselves out there and it will be my fault! So. . . . does anyone know of any pet-friendly melting salt or have any tips on snow and ice removal?

You can buy stuff called "Safe Paw Ice Melter". It is made by a company called Gaia. I've never used it but it looks good.

Here is a description of the product from the web site:

"Finally a safe ice melter for your pet! Chemical ice melters can cause severe burns between the pads on your pet