Dogomania

Spay vaccine

imported_Cassie

[quote]According to some researchers, yes. Dr. Richard Fayrer-Hosken at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine has developed Spay-Safe, an injectable contraceptive which is derived from a protein found in pig ovaries. He found that three injections of this protein would permanently sterilize a female dog. There are no known side effects. The product is now undergoing evaluation by the FDA. Once approved, it will be marketed. Dr. Fayrer-Hosken is now working on developing the proper dosage for cats.

Comments from our Veterinary Staff:

This could be a revolutionary way to help solve the pet overpopulation problem. For dogs who have increased risks associated with anesthesia, it would be an excellent alternative. We are unsure of the cost of the vaccine, but in most cases, it would probably be far less than the cost of a spay. One thing we would like to know before solidly endorsing such a product is how many, if any, of these dogs spayed by vaccination go on to develop diseases of their still-present reproductive tracts (e.g., cancer). Such cancers are virtually eliminated through spaying[/quote]

What I am wondering is if this will work on humans...there are a few I really believe should not reproduce...can you imagine...if you were able to sidle up to them in a bar and jab them 3 times...can you imagine the wonderful effects on man kind??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just joking of course...but, this did go through my mind...briefly... :roll:

So would the dog still go through heat? If that is the case I think I would still go with a surgical spay unless there were other reasons not to.

That is a great step forward in combating pet overpopulation though :-) Maybe a lot more people would have it done if it weren't as expensive and didn't require surgery.