Dogomania

A question about the Bedlington Terrier...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OKay, I asked someone else and they said probably, but I want to find out for sure... of course it just started a chain reaction of useless questions, but I'll save you guys from them :wink:
I found this dog in my breed book, and looked up some pics of them, and i'm wondering... if they have a stop like most dogs, or if they have one like the bull terrier if you shave the fur off their face?

[img]http://www.akc.org/breeds/bomphotos/bedlington_1.jpg[/img]

Guest Anonymous

Wow, you learn something new every day! :lol: Thanks HF, I was just curious :wink:
I sat forever staring at that picture to try and figure it out, and when I thought i could see where the stop would be, then suddenly my eyes were tricked and I couldn't anymore :lol: Wow, [size=1]I really need a life eh? :lol: :oops: :wink: [/size]

From the AKC breed standard
Head

Narrow, but deep and rounded. Shorter in skull and longer in jaw. Covered with a profuse topknot which is lighter than the color of the body, highest at the crown, and tapering gradually to just back of the nose. There must be no stop and the unbroken line from crown to nose end reveals a slender head without cheekiness or snipiness. Lips are black in the blue and blue and tans and brown in all other solid and bi-colors. Eyes Almond-shaped, small, bright and well sunk with no tendency to tear or water. Set is oblique and fairly high on the head. Blues have dark eyes; blues and tans, less dark with amber lights; sandies, sandies and tans, light hazel; livers, livers and tans, slightly darker. Eye rims are black in the blue and blue and tans, and brown in all other solid and bi-colors. Ears Triangular with rounded tips. Set on low and hanging flat to the cheek in front with a slight projection at the base. Point of greatest width approximately 3 inches. Ear tips reach the corners of the mouth. Thin and velvety in texture, covered with fine hair forming a small silky tassel at the tip. Nose Nostrils large and well defined. Blues and blues and tans have black noses. Livers, livers and tans, sandies, sandies and tans have brown noses. Jaws Long and tapering. Strong muzzle well filled up with bone beneath the eye. Close-fitting lips, no flews. Teeth Large, strong and white. Level or scissors bite. Lower canines clasp the outer surface of the upper gum just in front of the upper canines. Upper premolars and molars lie outside those of the lower jaw.

From the UK breed standard
HEAD AND SKULL - Skull narrow, but deep and rounded; covered with profuse silky top-knot which should be nearly white. Jaw long and tapering. There must be no "stop", the line from occiput to nose end straight and unbroken. Well filled up beneath eye. Close fitting lips, without flew. Nostrils large and well defined.

As far as I know there is no working purpose for the lamb clip on the Bedlington Terrier...once it was adopted by the "elite" they developed it into the stylish pet we see in the show rings today.
This breed was orginally known as the "Gypsy Dog" and became the poachers greatest assest due to the breeds gameness and talents...this breed was known as the terrier of all work which could swim down an otter, draw a badger, dispatch vermin, run down a rabbit and hold its own in a fight...:

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it means that you shouldn't be able to see a stop because of the fur, but they DO have one under that fur... Now i"m really curious as to what they look like without it... going to search to see if I can find a pic! :D

You know, I should have clarified my statement by saying the ones I've actually put my hands on had a stop underneath that hair. I know they are scissored in one long flowing line with no stop, but every one I ever put my hands on did not have a head (sans hair) like a Bull Terrier. While I've seen show Bedlingtons, I've never actually peeled through the hair to see if there was a stop on those (never really thought about it). The ones I've groomed personally were only pet Bedlingtons as opposed to showdogs and they did have a stop under the hair. Now I'm curious, too, as to whether there's not supposed to be a stop at all, or just not a visible stop... :-?

I'll bet I can find out! I know just who to ask. If no one else has clarified it later, I'll check back in with what I find out. :wink:

[quote name='Horsefeathers!']You know, I should have clarified my statement by saying the ones I've actually put my hands on had a stop underneath that hair. I know they are scissored in one long flowing line with no stop, but every one I ever put my hands on did not have a head (sans hair) like a Bull Terrier. While I've seen show Bedlingtons, I've never actually peeled through the hair to see if there was a stop on those (never really thought about it). The ones I've groomed personally were only pet Bedlingtons as opposed to showdogs and they did have a stop under the hair. Now I'm curious, too, as to whether there's not supposed to be a stop at all, or just not a visible stop... :-?

I'll bet I can find out! I know just who to ask. If no one else has clarified it later, I'll check back in with what I find out. :wink:[/quote]

I am also curious horsefeathers :lol: i know a few breeders of them but it is something i have never even thought about before :oops:
Good topic Hazel :lol:

The Bedlington Terrier is orginally a cross breed of the Dandie Dinmont Terrier, the Otterhound and the Whippet...the only ones I have touched have been at the grooming shop...and they seem to have more of a Whippet facial structure with just a slight stop.
I just want to point out that within every breed people have different ideals of what the facial stucture should be...for instance Newfoundland dogs...most of the Newfoundlands I have owned have had big pumpkin heads with VERY defined stops and big flews...they win in the show rings big time...alot of other breeders tend to go for smaller heads with a smaller stop...completely different head types...if I had 20 Newfoundland dogs lined up you would probably find about 10 different head types....