Dogomania

Yet Another dog pregnancy question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I feel terrible but we have to leave Phoenix at home alone the day after she's supposed to have the puppies. I have to leave with my family for my uncle's wedding, but I'm worried about her being alone for three days so soon after the puppies. I looked up that dogs normally take 63 days before giving birth and i've counted since the day she got together with Bear and on thursday it will be 63 days. I'm scared that she won't have them before we leave. Are dogs normally late or early in going into labor?

You said you would be gone for 3 days? So you must need somebody to come over and let Phoenix out. Can you have them just stay there all the time while you are gone? I've never had a dog that had puppies but it doesn't seem like a good idea to leave them alone. Especially if she is going to deliver while you are gone.

Could you drive seperate and come home early from the wedding?

Leaving a dog alone for 3 days after they've just whelped a litter of pups is a recipe for disaster. If you can't find a way to stay home with them, or get someone else who will understand instructions on the care she and the pups need, then the next best option is to board them, either at a vet clinic, or at a boarding kennel with knowledgeable staff, who can keep close watch and make sure nothing happens.

Ya i think that you should ask a good friend, to stay with the mother untill you get back. Like your best friend or someone who is really good with dogs. If not mabey see if you can go later than your family and then leave earlie cuase you woulndt want to miss the birth.

[quote name='ellieangel']I'm with K on this one :(

[/quote]

Me too :-?
I know this may seem a little harsh to you, but truthfully what else CAN you do? Any other person wouldn't know what to do no matter how detailed your explanations are.. after all she IS your dog...
And Hopefully your family will understand that you need to be there for her...

That makes 3 with K.. You can miss a wedding.. If they're really good people, they won't mind (unless its a sibling!).

Has your uncle been married before? If so, it's even less important that you go. I mean, he's had one wedding already, who wants to go through that stress again? lol

Please PLEASE ensure that you have plans in place to have your bitch looked after. You can NOT leave a dog for days on end with no care, especially if she has just whelped, and please bear in mind she may be late. Dogs are not exact!! Leaving the pups not only puts them at risk but also your bitch. Think of her and put plans in place, not yourself.

I am with K and all the rest. You brought these pups upon your dog so you need to be there to help her thru no matter what.

And are you planning on the pups to be on time?? What if her labor is delayed and she does not deliver the pups while you are there. What if she is home alone and has problems delivering her pups?? You in the end could loose all your pups and the mother! :( I think that this wedding needs to be 2nd on your list and that your pup and her pups need to be NUMBER ONE!

Hope that you follow the advice given...it is good advice!

Ohh and also -- suppose she is late delivering and you have to leave...even if you have someone stay 24/7 at the house with her she does not know them and will not feel nearly as comfortable with them as she would her 'momma'. Some dogs never are aggresive but when they have pups they do not trust people they have only been around a little. You need to be there with her!

I agree with all of the above. If you absolutely CANNOT be there (and, personally, I would use ANY excuse to blow off a wedding) then you need
to board her at a vet kennel, where there are doctors on hand who know what they're doing to see to her pregnancy. She needs you more than your uncle does, despite what the family might say...