Dogomania

Which is right?

abker17

I have a question to ask about agility. At the seminar I went to in Richmond, they said that u should try to practice in the rain, and light snow, because trials are held rain or shine. But then, in my agility book, it says not to trial/practice in the rain because the dog can slip on the slippery wet grass and hurt themselves. So which is right? I of course don't want to ever injure Abby, and don't really know what to think. Help please!

I have to say Abs if you are going to do competitive agility you will be in all weather. Its definitely best to practice in all weathers as long as its safe. Being N.Ireland we always have rain so Meg is well used to it but in heavy rain I don't go as fast with her (not easy since shes faster than me :P ). Dogs don't slip as much as we do. their paws hold a lot more traction on wet grass than us in trainers . (on that note get yourself a pair of football studs for when the weather is icky). I couldn't be without mine!

Abker, suppose you NEED to do this. It's really helpful. And it's easy to teach! :wink: Once we had to hold the competition on a large field. The snow was 2 feet deep! :o Asting won because of his long legs! :D
Two weeks ago we ran a trial, but the obstages werw COVERED BY ICE! :o You'd better teach your dog to run in such conditions.