Dogomania

Waiting List/Deposits

Guest Mutts4Me

Guest Mutts4Me

As you might have seen elsewhere in the Picture Pages (puppy pics!), a friend of mine breeds Chihuahuas. I don't want to get into the logistics of why she breeds, or all that. But I will say that she loves her dogs and take great care of them, and those Chihuahuas would beat any myth of them being mean, snappy little dogs.

Anyway, here's the situation in brief: She had a litter of 5 puppies a couple months ago. They're 9 weeks old now. A couple weeks after they were born, someone she knew picked out a puppy he wanted. A few weeks later, he picked out a second puppy. Later, he decided he could only handle one puppy. That's not the problem.

He picked up his original puppy when it was time, and they put an ad in the paper for the remaining puppies. One person came and picked out a puppy. There are 3 puppies left, and my friends are puzzled and worried about what's going to happen next. They can't have 7 Chihuahuas! That situation remains unresolved, but today she said something that concerned me.

Her mom, who also breeds Chihuahuas, had a litter the other night, and I suggested that thye put an ad in the paper in a couple weeks that indicated "Taking Deposists," so that this same problem wouldn't happen again. She said, "yeah, that's what we're going to have to do next time." (so they haven't placed all their puppies yet, and they're already thinking about next time? anyway). She did say she was concerned with the deposit issue, because then you have to draw up a contract. So I suggested a "waiting list" instead, which seemed to suit her better.

[color=red]So my question is (hey, did I say this was going to be "brief"? :oops:) :

How would a "Deposit" contract work? Is it pretty simple, enough so that she'd be okay with it? What about waiting lists? [/color]

I'd appreciate any advice from breeders (or anyone, really) that I could politely suggest to her to help this from happening again. Yeah, I know everyone's thinking, how about you politely suggest that she stop breeding her dogs? (right?) But that's not really a subject I can broach. I call her my friend, but in reality, she's my sister's friend, who I've recently started working with, so we get to talk sometimes, and I've seen her puppies a few times.

I've even gotten to the point where I can casually ask her about various aspects of her breeding (does she check out the stud's health and temperament history, are the dogs registered, do they go to the vet - all yes), but not to the point where I can ask if/how she screens potential buyers (I get the impression that it's not very much, if at all, and she only has records of a few of the buyers). Have also mentioned that I don't really like dog breeding because of shelter/stray overpopulation, but haven't gone so far as to say that I think dog breeding - except with specific breed-benefiting results in mind - is irresponsible and unfair, because that would kind of target her, ya know?

So right now I'm just trying to do what I can as far as these puppies go (have suggested she contact past clients, and have the stud's owners contact their past clients, looking for Chihuahua clubs in the state, etc), and trying to prevent the same thing with the new litter of puppies. Maybe I'll work on the not-breeding thing later, since they only have pups once or twice a year (gives me a little time).

Thanks!

Hey there your friend could take a small deposit and draw up a brief contract with any prospective owners. Most breeders take word of mouth as sometimes complications arise and some pups may fall ill. An ad is a good idea. At least it will give a good idea of how many are interested, then anyone really wanting a pup will usually be happy enough to put down a small deposit to secure their pup. If in the event where someone backed out, you would say the deposit is non-refundable and in that case it would be smart to have a waiting list if the pups are oversubscribed so that the breeder doesn't have a young pup to home after the others have gone.

Good luck! :wink:

All of my friends who breed dogs breed when they have a really wonderful pair of dogs they know will produce their next BIG show winner. My friends really don't make any money off the pups they sell...my freinds always keep one pup themselves and the owner of the bitch or stud keep one...they make money off the stud fees especially when you have that dog that goes beyond being a champion and is the best of its breed in that country...this is what they are all striving for. :wink:
My friend who breeds Newfoundlands has a long waiting list for her pups...even before she has any litters she interviews the people and makes sure they realize how difficult a Newfoundland can be to care for, she will not sell to people with young family's or any one expecting to start a family..too many dogs get neglected this way. My freinds all have waiting lists, they do not take deposits as it is really them who pick and chose who will be lucky enough to have one of their dogs.....they never never list in the local news paper, that right there is a dead give a way of a bad breeder...good breeders have the local breed clubs to promote them and they are listed with dogs in canada magazine and some American dog magazines...and any one breeding Newf's if they are not expecting any litter that year will refer a breeder they know will be having a litter in the coming years.
My freind who breeds Newfoundland dogs perfers to keep most of her puppies! that is how I ended up with 4 of them! she actually places her Newf's which she feels are going to be great show dogs and puts them in wonderful homes with her friends at no charge...its a bonus for me as I have never paid for a dog in my life, she pays all the Vet bills, food, shampoo, treats, obedience classes (we are trying to get a CD on 2 of the Newf's she gave me)...I don't have to pay for a thing except give them my love...she has 6 Newfoundland dogs at home currently.
I really hate when people randomly breed dogs just for the money...perhaps send her a picture of all the suffering little dogs which are put to sleep each year due to breeding habits such as she is doing...at the Vet clinic I work at we have a mother and 4 Chihuahua puppies looking for a home ( these poor pups and mom were confiscated by the SPCA...we take all the neglected and mistreated dogs and pups at the clinic I work at) any way these little pups almost didn't make it...they did...now they are 14 weeks and only one has found a home...I just wish your sisters friend would realize the problems she has just experienced can and will happen again...possibly a waiting list is the best idea...and interview the potential buyers....an interview will insure they are really interested...a deposit would also be a good idea...now, I don't know this for sure as I am not a breeder...but, when you have litters of pups and you are selling them to make a profit without legal documents and no recipe...isn't that some sort of tax fraud? I do beleive my freinds who breed claim the money they made from the pups....they list it as a hobby, but, they still claim them and they can also write off alot to do with their dogs??? am I wrong...

She could contact a lawyer and have him/her help her to draw up a legal contract. It would be a one time expense and she would have a contract that could actually mean something. Sometimes people write up these "contracts" very quickly and without any legal knowledge and any law student could pick them apart in about five minutes. That's the way I would go. Also, if she knows a notary public that could notarize the contracts, that would be even better.

Guest Anonymous

I just use a short contract stating both parties names, the sex of the dog, and the amount of the deposit. I also state no refund of deposit but if the sex they want isnt available or if they decide on a pup from a different breeding the deposit will transfer. This keeps the "not so serious" people away from my dogs. I have a "waiting list" I call to inform of the breedings I will have available and they get the first chances to place a deposit on a certain litter.
Also, tell her to keep track of every single person that walks away from her with one of her pups. Tell her she should have a contract in which if they decide to sell or give the dog away she will be informed (mine state I have a chance to buy the dog back before anyone else). If she really wants to be a good breeder she needs to keep a running record of every detail of every dog that is ever in her "program". I have records that date back to when I first started breeding that show every detail. From the day the bitch came in heat to the day the dog I sold passed (yes, I make all people I sell to call me when the dog passes and the reason why). I keep records of the dogs shots, throughout their lives, as well as when they are bred. Having these records to go back and look at in the future will make her "breeding program" much better/easier/responsible...
I could tell you where every single dog that has ever passed through my yard is at. I find it very important to be able to do so.

Guest Mutts4Me

Thanks everyone who replied to this.

She isn't a "top" or well-known breeder, so I don't think she could pull off the pre-puppy waiting lists, although I think it's great those breeders do exist, and therefore only bring puppies into this world knowing they're going to get a home. I wish all breeders were like this.

The good news is that all the puppies have now found their new homes, so disaster has been averted, at least for now.