Dogomania

Signs of pregnacy in a dog

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 10 month Bassett Hound and she just went out of season and i was just wondering some of the signs of her being pregnat.

Her nipples are very swollen and she has been gathering blankets and socks like she going thru a nesting period i would very much appreicat if someone could answer my question.

Thank You!!! Alison Rossello

Guest Anonymous

Is she piling the socks and stuff in a certain place? Is she trying to shred things?

She could be actually pregnant - can you account for her whereabouts the whole time she was in heat? If not, take her to the vet. Some dogs suffer
"false" pregnancies, especially after a number of heats without impregnation.... May I ask, why is she not fixed? Do you plan to breed her?

If not, get her done. There are huge health benefits from it.

How long has she been finished her season? If she has just finished it within 2/3 weeks, then this is a pseudo-pregnancy I'm sure. Mammary glands usually don't swell in a pregnant bitch until the last few weeks of the 9 week gestation period of a bitch.

Also the toy gathering behaviour is typical of a pseudo-pregnancy, as is a sudden behavioural change.

A course of tablets will disperse the "false milk" and these can be obtained from your veterinary surgeon.