Dogomania

Sassy VS Dog Food!

Sharpeigirl

[color=darkred]Have you tried sprinkling something that she likes, over the top of her biscuits ? ........they can be plain and boring to some dogs and thats probably why she sticks her nose up at it.....meat is very tasty so you won't have a problem with her eating that.
Does she have a favourite food like cheese grated or fruit, sliced apples ?
You could try mixing a few biscuits in with these.
See how she goes[/color] :D

a little bit of cooked rice, or a SMALL topping of cottage cheese will probably bring her around. You have to keep reducing it and replacing it with canned food as you go along. She is using her situation to get herself spoiled on people food, put the dry, the canned, and the TINY bit of cheese
or rice all together, then slowly wean her off the chees and rice. She wont ler herself starve Shar, dont worry.

[color=darkred]Well maybe you could try her on a different brand, see how she goes with that ?
Obviously the dry food she is on now will have to be mixed in with the brand you buy so that she doesn't get an upset stomach through change and so her body can get used to it[/color] :D

Guest Anonymous

Cottage cheese worked for me when I had this problem with my pup. Also I tried wetting the dry food a bit before (good for bigger dogs any ways) and since I mixed wet/dry it made a gravy like stuff..that she loved.

Courtnek always has the best advice!! :D

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Shannon_C'][quote]
Courtnek always has the best advice!! :D[/quote]

[color=darkred]Hey any advice is good enough[/color] :evil:[/quote]

I just said that because I agreed, I was being silly. :oops: And she does give good advice. But not "any" advice is good enough...because ALL the advice on this board, is great. I'm sorry you were so offended, by me seriously just being a dork!

Ugh..Im going back into hiding! :drinking:

[quote name='ThePoutyPitbull']

I just said that because I agreed, I was being silly. :oops: And she does give good advice. But not "any" advice is good enough...because ALL the advice on this board, is great. I'm sorry you were so offended, by me seriously just being a dork!

Ugh..Im going back into hiding! :drinking:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Aww its ok :lol: no worries, this is what getting tired does to you[/color] :evil:

Guest Anonymous

*phewwwwww* I thought I made you mad! :oops:

Geesh don't do that to me, I've been away for like a week and I thought I was already making people mad!! :oops: :oops:

[quote name='ThePoutyPitbull']*phewwwwww* I thought I made you mad! :oops:

Geesh don't do that to me, I've been away for like a week and I thought I was already making people mad!! :oops: :oops:[/quote]

[color=darkred]Well when you have been here long enough you will find out what we are like[/color] :lol:

no need to get upset TPP...sometimes my advice is not the greatest....
I'm going from experience, not professional training, and I COULD BE WRONG!!!

so if there is better advice, then do that!! I am NOT easily offended

In fact, it's been years since anyone has offended me...I lost my personal
"offensive" touchiness a LONG TIME AGO... right about the time I realized that advice from OTHER people was sometimes better than what I thought I knew...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

for instance, I have never had a timid dog before...I can break any dominant dog and make it a good household pet, but never had to deal
with a scared dog before. I have received a LOT of good advice here about Laurel...that has helped me alot. so we are all in it together.
we all need to remember that...

[quote name='Sharpeigirl']:roll: :roll: Ever since her acident, Sassy won't touch dry dog food unless we dish it out like a treat. She loves canned food, but if we try & put the dry in as well, she walks away like a snot. Any help would be nice, I'm at my wits end[/quote]

I know that Sassy has been through a very traumatic experience recently. I'm sure you want to do everything that you can for her but, I really wouldn't advise adding special stuff to her food.

A dog will eat when it's hungry....as long as it hasn't basically "trained" it's owners to add new/different goodies if it holds back from eating. Once someone get into that practice it can escalate into an owner constantly having to search out goodies to add to the food to apease the dog.

If I were you I would simply place the food on the floor when it's mealtime. give her about 10 minutes to eat and, if she doesn't, pick the food up. Do not offer any food or treat until the next mealtime. At the next mealtime, put food on the floor again for 10 minutes and, if uneaten, pick it up. Continue this practice until the dog learns that meals will be offered for a limited time period and if they want food they better eat.

My Mason tried to be a bit of a picky eater when he was younger. I did quite a bit of research on the subject. Spoke to vets, behaviorists, and a bunch of very experienced breeders. I also tried to apease him initally by adding goodies and, sure enough, he would settle for the goodies for a while and then suddenly they weren't "special" enough and I'd have to search out new ones. Once I'd done all the research on the "offer food and pick it up" method, I tried that. I think Mason was shocked at the first meal when I picked it up since he didn't eat. He gave the next meal a harder look but still wouldn't eat. the third meal he ate a bit but, since he wandered away mid meal, he wound up loosing the rest since I picked it up. The meal after that he must have been pretty hungry because he ate the whole thing. We had another few days of partial eating and then I guess he figured out that no, I was not going to be adding goodies (aside from the regular stuff my dogs always get with kibble) so, he threw the towel in. Now, whenever I put his meal on the ground, he goes and cleans his bowl as soon as I release him from his sit.

This may sound hard hearted but, Sassy will be much better off in the long run if you don't start catering to her now.

[quote name='Nancy B']
I know that Sassy has been through a very traumatic experience recently. I'm sure you want to do everything that you can for her but, I really wouldn't advise adding special stuff to her food.

A dog will eat when it's hungry....as long as it hasn't basically "trained" it's owners to add new/different goodies if it holds back from eating. Once someone get into that practice it can escalate into an owner constantly having to search out goodies to add to the food to apease the dog.
[/quote]

[color=darkred]I had this problem with Charlie, he was a very picky eater and would not eat any brand of dry food he was given, I would constantly stand there and say (eat your biscuits) I was also at my wits end wondering what to do...I know the theory goes (dogs will eat when they are hungry) but in this case my Bullmastiff was not interested so one day I decided to had some grated cheese and sliced apple to his biscuits (Wow how the clock turned) he only had these mixed with his biscuits untill he was eating normal again then I gradually weaned him off it.....he now eats his dry food without a problem, so it can work. Dogs have to have some variety[/color]

[quote name='courtnek']a [b]little bit of cooked rice[/b], or a SMALL topping of cottage cheese will probably bring her around. You have to keep reducing it and replacing it with canned food as you go along. She is using her situation to get herself spoiled on people food, put the dry, the canned, and the TINY bit of cheese
or rice all together, then slowly wean her off the chees and rice. She wont ler herself starve Shar, dont worry.[/quote]

Rice Worked with my First doberman Rocky...he was verrryyy picky with his food!

If the dog suffered "food pickiness" from the beginning I would say let her go until she wants to eat....but Sassy has suffered a trauma experience, and it took people food to get her to eat at all. Under these circumstances, I would prep her with rice or cheese, and then wean her.

Shar, how's she doing?