Dogomania

Akita Mania!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have Akitas, of course. But searching through the forum I didnt see anyone else who had them. I only have 2 friends on yahoo who have them. Where are all of the Akita owners?!!

Guest Mutts4Me

When I first came here, before I even started posting, I think, there was someone with an Akita named Kaleb or Caleb.

I came here through a search on Akita attacks, so that person was pretty active in the conversation. Haven't seen her posting since I joined, though.

I think that Akitas are my favorite breed of dog, one that I'd most love to have, if I ever decided to go for a purebred, but I will probably never have one for a lot of different reasons. I love to see them and dream, though :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An Akita is a breed of dog I would love to own! They are awesome looking dogs. 8)
A neighbor of my friends owns an Akita name Tika, he is a very dignified elderly dog, he's at least 10 years old!
Years ago he attacked one of the neighbors kids, though. Totally the kids fault, here's the story.
The boy was 13 or 14 years old at the time, not a young kid. Tika was a very well-behaved dog, he even let my friends, who were only toddlers at the time, play with and hang on him. Well, this boy teased the dog when his owner wasn't home.(The dog was a trained guard dog before) his owner left him in the front yard leashed up while he wasn't home and the boy taunted him just out of his reach. He was told over and over again to leave the dog alone, by neighbors, by his parents but he kept right at it until one day he came within the dogs reach. The dog attacked him and was mauling him and his mother came running out and tried to rescue her son and she got bit! The dog backed off I guess and an ambulance was called for the boy. He had to get a lot of stitched but was otherwise fine, (maybe now he'll listen when he's told). They went to court to try to get the dog destroyed but his owner fought it, (He isn't married and Tika means a lot to him), the neighbors fought it saying the dog was perfect with their little kids and that the boy had been teasing the dog. He won and got to keep Tika! :D But now he takes Tika everywhere with him, he's never home alone anymore, and when I go over there Tika is an awesome well-behaved dog!

Hey there-
My girlfriend and I have a 7 year old Akita named Kira and a 1 year old APBT named Dexter.
Kira (female) is the love of my life, lol. I am an Akita snob, like most other Akita owners, haha. They are a breed matched by no other, imo. Kira is dog-aggressive but doesnt misbehave while on her leash (which is always.) With regards to keeters, I usually post at [url]www.akitaforum.com[/url]
Lots of great people and keeters on the forum. Talk to you later.
-Jeff
Here is a link to a few pics of my Akita and APBT:
[url]http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3264f0a25c6[/url]

[quote name='abker17']U're dogs are gorgous!!!!!!! :loveu: Ehhh now I want an Akita! :bigcry: So many wonderful dog breeds such short life to have all the ones I want! *Sigh* Life is painful sometimes. :wink:[/quote]
Haha, I agree. Thanks again for the compliments. My dogs egos are going to get even bigger than they already are. Do you have any dogs?

Ah but of course! I have a Malamute mix named Cracker-
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UQDUAjcZ0RM5vEKsM8Nn50qpNtVekNSvHPjDFVs8FVpk42obLbg7cSMYtpu*N76y4ydddR8NEJn5r2M!AE4GihnTaVJWxQEdTbG*xYN3GGDU*xXRYwfDOVsIBldpXFHr/Cracker.JPG?dc=4675453509773773335[/img]
And a BC mix named Abby. Actually we think she might have some Akita in her, I've done a bit of research on the breed and her personality seems a lot like that of an Akita's. She also has a short coat, and a distinct curl in her tail. Whatta u think?
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAAAFwYLtJSJgKNs*sGwljGtCFQ5Ia*hm3M8og89L2SpZC58iNTJ8OCF6EUxpqRTUcbWPWDGXR*UhRmu40tM5kJS7ysjZranh7iJ8pj6SVehZp8pdObUQAAAAAAAAAA/Abby20.JPG?dc=4675453509770814580[/img]
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgAUA3UYhtx4z6Q0liEG0MGNhqXuUbCfdDlR9qrh6q2tyjx6Kv6V32WATQBuC3SZmzVLRUT5HHyhHVRj6NBubfd96FRHCvJoT5uu6CXAnUjoxdab8WsOv74HjkkC*yVa/MVC-012S.JPG?dc=4675450042736289691[/img]

Guest Mutts4Me

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Akitas are my dream dogs. I've researched them for years and am absolutely in awe of them. I'm not sure I'll ever actually have one, though.

But I must say, I'm very impressed with the Akita/APBT combo. An APBT is another breed of dog I would love to own, but both breeds' tendencies toward dog agression have me worried (since I'll always want a multi-pet home), and I was actually surprised to see the two being kept together. From the pictures, it looks like they get along great :D Do you have any other pets?

[quote name='Mutts4Me']As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Akitas are my dream dogs. I've researched them for years and am absolutely in awe of them. I'm not sure I'll ever actually have one, though.

But I must say, I'm very impressed with the Akita/APBT combo. An APBT is another breed of dog I would love to own, but both breeds' tendencies toward dog agression have me worried (since I'll always want a multi-pet home), and I was actually surprised to see the two being kept together. From the pictures, it looks like they get along great :D Do you have any other pets?[/quote]

Hey Amber-
Your sig is too cute! Before adopting Dexter we carefully thought it out. Kira is very dog-aggressive, but not disobedient. She behaves well on-leash, and will even ignore most dogs that go by her or walk up to sniff her. We decided that we would have to get a male puppy. Many people will argue till they are blue in the face that you can have dogs of the same sex with no problem. To each their own, I felt it would be much better to have 2 dogs of opposite sex.
We took precautions when we brought Dex home. First off, we introduced them at a neutral park so Kira would not be to upset. We fed them seperately and did not leave any toys/bones on the floor. We made sure to give Kira that "extra" attention at certain times, yet let her know that we had a new member to our pack.
There has been one incident since we have had both dogs. The 2nd week we had them, we were all playing in my back yard and I turned my head for a split second, and Kira snapped at Dex and bit his face. Dex yelped, and walked away. Two seconds later as a little blood is trickling down his face, we walks right back up to Kira as if to say "Hey, I am not mad Sis. Let's play!" I think it was just a little dominance display by Kira to let her know that she is alpha over him.
Now (8 months later) they are like 2 peas in a pod. Dex loves his big sister like no other. All I have to do on a walk is say "Kira" and he starts crying, wanting to go home to see her.
Still though, the dogs are never left unsupervised at home for more than 5 minutes. We leave Dex in his crate, and let Kira have free reign of the house. This is something that will never change. All it takes is one little thing and you come home to a tragedy.
Dex is quite the handful, I wont go on and on about him, but we are working with a behaviorist, as he bit one of my neighbors. Before that he had never shown any signs of human aggression. My neighbor is a dog-lover, and was so cool about the situation. He did not call animal control or anything like that. I did give him some money for his jeans. It drew blood, but was not very bad. I told him I would happily pay for him to see a Dr. but he did not want to. Dex is great with people now, but he is still a work in progress. I think his previous owner abused him when he/she clipped his ears.

[quote name='abker17']
And a BC mix named Abby. Actually we think she might have some Akita in her, I've done a bit of research on the breed and her personality seems a lot like that of an Akita's. She also has a short coat, and a distinct curl in her tail. Whatta u think?
[/quote]
It is possible. Abby is a cutie. I would not be surprised if she had some akita in her. Cute pic!

not an Akita but ....... I like the name :)

[img]http://a6.cpimg.com/image/00/E7/25862656-0f43-02000179-.jpg[/img]

[img]http://a3.cpimg.com/image/11/E7/25862673-fb97-02000177-.jpg[/img]

She is quite naked in these pictures as she had a litter of 8 puppies 2 1/2 months earlier .......

Kira is a nice name!

Guest Mutts4Me

I'm glad your neighbor's such a good guy :)

I'm really impressed (did I say that already? ;)) with your dogs. Stuff like this gives me hope that I could have an Akita one day. I've already decided that if/when I am able to have one, I will get a female Akita, and any other dog would have to be male, like in your case. I do hope you stick around. I'd love to have an Akita owner in regular attendance on the board, and you sound like great dog owners, too :)

Abker - Abby looks like she might have some Akita in her. I still kind of wonder about Sasha sometimes. We call her shepherd/chow, but I'm pretty sure she's got some collie in her, too. And sometimes when she's laying down and her head is angled just right, her face looks like an Akita, and I have to blink to turn her back into Sas. Could be wishful thinking, lol.

[quote name='Mutts4Me']
I do hope you stick around. I'd love to have an Akita owner in regular attendance on the board, and you sound like great dog owners, too :)
.[/quote]
Rest assured, I am going nowhere. I like this board due to the people, the layout, and all the beautiful different breeds that are represented here. Talk to you soon.
-Jeff

Jeff, I owned an Akita/Rott female for 15yr. (she passed). She was the love of my life !! She was my constant shadow, loyal and true till the end.
She would let kids climb all over her and tolerate alot from them.
BUT, she was also very dog aggressive. That was her only flaw.
I love that dog and to this day I get teary eyed thinking about her.
It took 8 months for me to want to get another dog.
Now we have 2 Jack Russells and a Lab/Rott.
Just couldn't live without the love of a good dog !! :wink:

[quote name='Debbie']Jeff, I owned an Akita/Rott female for 15yr. (she passed). She was the love of my life !! She was my constant shadow, loyal and true till the end.
She would let kids climb all over her and tolerate alot from them.
BUT, she was also very dog aggressive. That was her only flaw.
I love that dog and to this day I get teary eyed thinking about her.
It took 8 months for me to want to get another dog.
Now we have 2 Jack Russells and a Lab/Rott.
Just couldn't live without the love of a good dog !! :wink:[/quote]
I know how you feel Debbie. I get a little teary-eyed when I think of the future after Kira passes away.

[quote name='Kaleb124']WOW things sure changed around here over Christmas!!! ....I had surgery and was down and out for nearly a month. But I AM BACK!!

I am also a fellow Akita owner. I have owned Akitas for 14 years. They are my ABSOLUTE favorite breed.[/quote]
I agree. I love all animals, but Akitas are top dog imho. What kind of surgery are you recovering from, if you dont mind my asking?